Ugly day for 575 owners | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ugly day for 575 owners

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F355 Fan 82, Mar 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Yes cannot compare new vs preowned cars
    In Canada can import just about any car after age of 15 years, only additional tax is 6.1 percent for a euro car, and 0 for a USA car
    In states is 25 years
    Each country will have own rules, need to understand and determine if an option or not vs local market
    In Canada I can bring in Ferrari’s from many markets more cost effective then buying locally
    Even with a devalued Canuck buck
    See many Ferrari’s in many countries not manufactured for that country... seems in uk you may not have that luxury?

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well try the South African market, try $185k for a 575 or how about $100k for a 308 GTSi. The problem here is sellers take the overseas price in the country with the lease favourable exchange rate and then convert that price and well that's the local price.

There is only one manual 575 in SA and perhaps 10 or so 575s.

Canuck550 likes this.
  3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    So nice not to worry or care about these things ...like Terry my car is not for sale :)

Jakuzzi, 308 GTB and G. Pepper like this.
  4. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    AFAIK, we can import anything into the UK as long as it passes our MOT (and is therefore deemed road legal). We don't have any aged based requirements.

Our limitation is the market for LHD vehicles is soft, there's little demand for them here, it's just not comfortable driving our roads.

I do know some people here that have LHD cars they use specifically for driving in mainland Europe. That makes a lot of sense to me.

G. Pepper likes this.
  5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I drove a RHD Aston Martin with a manual transmission around the rebellious colonies and everything felt backwards.

Spent just one day with a RHD Aston. I don't know how you guys do it. :D

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I drove both RHD and LHD cars interchangeably in the UK for 6 years. No big deal. All three pedals, too.

7. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan

It becomes quite intuitive as Taz says.

When I visit a LHD country I find there's a short period where your brain needs to adjust, it's about an hour or two for me. You have to concentrate and think hard at junctions and particularly roundabouts.

Also as a nation we learn to drive in manual cars, certainly when I learnt to drive in the 80's only around 20% of cars sold new in the UK back then has an auto transmission. So when we go abroad, particularly the USA, most rental are Auto's and don't have many roundabouts. Plus your roads are very wide compared to most UK roads. It's just less to think about.

The bigger nuisance is being on the wrong side for toll booths and car park entry/exit if you're driving the wrong hand side car in whatever country you're in.

Bluebottle likes this.
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Fortunately one can now get gizmos that operate the motorway tollbooths automatically and send you a bill at the end of the month, which makes life a lot easier when travelling on one's own - it saves having to stop, get out, go round to the other side of the car, fiddle with the ticket machine, go back to the other side, apologise to the queue of irate natives pooping their horns and waving their fists at you, get into the car and drive off . . .!

ralfabco and 21ATS like this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Thumb to nose is an appropriate response to anybody who gives you a hard time about which side the steering wheel is on.

ralfabco and Bluebottle like this.