What’s the latest on additional Pista allocations? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

What’s the latest on additional Pista allocations?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, Apr 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My dealer- the largest in the country. He advised that 35% of F8 and all regular production models going forward are specifically alloted to first time Ferrari buyers and all such sales cannot exceed MSRP.There will be a financial penalty imposed by the factory for not meeting those numbers. Due to Ferrari wishing to increase production, this policy makes perfect sense. There are many exotic car buyers who have not considered purchasing a new Ferrari due to the prevailing belief that securing an allocation, even if possible, would take years to get delivery and price will be in excess of MSRP. Purchasing a production model Ferrari will, henceforth, be similar to buying a McLaren, or a Lamborghini. This can be viewed by super car lovers as the dawn of a new era. No barriers now for entry to any brand. The downside is that Ferraris will depreciate much like any other car.

My dealer further advised that there is no possibilty of securing an allocation for a Pista. That ship sailed a long time ago.

of2worlds and DRYHOLE like this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It would be good to get a corroboration from a second source since with the best will in the world dealers tend not to be the most accurate source of information

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A friend who has never owned a Ferrari, placed a deposit on an F8 which was readily accepted with delivery slated for Q2- 2020 and was told, price would be MSRP. This has never happened to others in the past with no buyer history.

of2worlds and boobernackle like this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #154 ttforcefed, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    488s were def sold to first time buyers....
    not sure how long people are going to want to debate production. ferrari is public and their job is now to maximize shareholder value in as linear way possible with quarterly checkpoints. It means more cars, it means more special and limited editions, and that in turn means more supply. It doesn't mean a worse product by any measure but it does mean more volume. it is what it is. Audemars couldn't resist following Panerai's path. Ferrari couldn't resist following porsche, harley davidson, etc.

boobernackle likes this.
  5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Let’s take a hypothetical, Ferrari produces 1,000 regular production cars, of which 350 are to be sold to first time buyers at msrp (nothing new as most are sold at msrp). What happens then if dealers/Ferrari can only find and sell to 250 new customers? Do the remaining just sit on the lot hoping a new customer comes in next year to sell a prior year model at Msrp?

Or on the other hand if a long time customer comes in Ferrari/ dealer has sold 900 Ferrari’s of which 250 have already been sold to first time customers, does the dealer tell the long time customer “ sorry, I can’t sell you the car because if am waiting to sell my remaining cars to first time buyers”.

In practice getting 35% new customers is a great idea but in reality never going to happen. A dealer would never turn down a long time customer over a new customer unless the relationship with the long time customer is “difficult “

boobernackle likes this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There is certainly some flexibility, but a percentage of new customers may be a target assigned by Ferrari - the reward being, for instance, easier access to limited series allocations.
    There are some hints that targets exist for selling GTC4 and Portofino at higher numbers even though they may be actually less desired, so why not also targets for new customers.

7. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Lol, it actually costs less to manufacture more of the same thing. This is why the engines in a Pista and F8 are essentially identical, except for the downstream end due to emissions regulations for the F8, as seen in the comparison photo.

The differing RPM power delivery is software tuning, nothing more. This has never been done before with Ferrari.

Tesla mastered this, a Model S is essentially the same car, no matter what options you choose. If you want extra, you just have to unlock it via software. Remember, shareholder value is paramount for Ferrari now and efficiencies in manufacturing will mimic other brands to maximize profit, which also includes parts sharing.

8. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm confused, I thought all new cars are sold at MSRP. o_O

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The never happened before comment was about anyone willing to buy now can.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes, at-least in the usa this is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Except for the extra cameras, lidar, radar, dual motor, awd, wheels, tires, seats....but yes, all via software.

12. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Not sure what this all means going forward, but in most other industries one of the components of price is the perceived exclusivity of the product, I'm curious what will happen to the willingness of buyers to continue spending at these levels when that exclusivity component declines, and affected even further by the resale market, and competition. Interested to see what happens when a buyer spends $400K for a car, drives to the local shopping center on a Tuesday afternoon and enters a lot that looks like the weekend's C&C. (Yes, an exaggeration, but still curious.)

Jim

13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Not even close. Everyone here lives in the Fchat bubble where spending 300k on a car is nothing. Go out in the real world and in a real grocery store parking lot- Ferrari can quadrauple their production and it won't result in more cars being seen on the road relatively speaking. Ferrari makes 10k cars a year. I think Honda does that in a day??

Viperjoe, boobernackle and JimPVB like this.
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    He will think he has died and gone to 'car heaven' but according to Mark it won't happen.
    He would rather park his latest and greatest beside some ten year old mini-van with rusty doors and holes in the rocker panels parked 6 inches from his pristine driver's door?
    Asked from the rust belt.... :D

JimPVB likes this.
  15. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Yup, it was an exaggerated point (which may not be a valid point at all), but I know a few owners that like their Ferrari's because they don't see many on the road (besides mine:)), and I know these guys factored exclusivity into their purchasing decision, just wondered how many in the market are like them, versus those of us that spend time in the forums...when we're not out driving what we appreciate as incredible performance cars.

Jim

of2worlds likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think exclusivity is a big deal. Which is why I favor Pista over F8. But these cars are few and far between relatively speaking. Despite the modest increase in production.

JimPVB likes this.
  17. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #167 boobernackle, Apr 21, 2019
    Feel free to do some research before posting... The first half of those features are installed in every Model S, but only active if optioned or paid for after delivery.

They did the same with battery size too, and I did use the word "essentially", so look that up too before trolling.

Shadowfax and Jaguar36 like this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #168 dustman, Apr 21, 2019
    Ahh, so just the first half of the statement. Guess they all come with awd and dual motors and the upgraded seats and 21” wheels and tires now as standard. I missed that they only sell one level of model s now, the high end performance only. Kinda neat they made it as just SW updates. I’ll have to check better when I buy my third model S because as of January 1, 2019 they didn’t exist this way. Thanks for being so supportive Sport!

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    #169 Zombies, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    My guess is it won’t turn people off the brand, but it may cause folks to “skip” a few rather than purchase every car if depreciation really ramps up (which it seems like it’s going to do). Part of the “fun” of getting the special series is that it holds its value very well — if that stops happening or drivers who change cars every 1-3 years start taking $100k+ hits each time, it could slow down repeat ownership. We’ll find out, since it seems like every marque with $250k+ cars is selling a lot of them (and there are a lot of marques now!)

JimPVB likes this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So I guess the factory offering the F8 to those that just missed the Pista allocation is not really a mulligan since so many off the street can as well.

09Scuderia likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Good god maybe some here should start a Forum called Tesla Talk......seems some can't keep quiet about them.

Fwiw if ever I was to buy full electric it would be a Porsche Taycan as at least you can look at it and has Porsche engineering.....Tesla, forget it!

boobernackle likes this.
  22. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    Like it has been said: the F8 is a fill-car. On one side to connect seamlessly to Ferrari’s new exterior and interior design, on the other side to match new emission guidelines, which will become even more strict by 2022 together with the new EU safety guidelines. They will sell as many as possible in that rather short production run.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Agree its a 3-year fill-in but pointing out that the new 35% virgin buyer mandate posted above negates any notion of the F8 being a reward for those with buying history (some pretty extensive) that just missed out on the Pista.

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In Europe at least I don't think many with buying history missed, or will eventually miss, the Pista.
    There are tens of Pista for sale on the secondary market, and asked prices are dropping.
    Since many of those are actually not built yet, in the end some people having reserved a Pista just in the hope of an easy profit may give back their allocation in the fear of actually losing money.
    The current market already has some cars advertised very close to European list price, and I bet those advertised for €100K more are not, and will not, sell at these prices.
    The BB (or whatever it will be called) unveiling may also not help the Pista market, if some Pista owners make the switch to the BB. Given its expected price the BB is unlikely to be considered (like the F8 ;) ) as a poor man's choice, so even people serious about their status could prefer it to a Pista.

25. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Good point
    I guess that's the underlying concern I was implying in my earlier post, I'm already hearing local owners of Ferrari indicating they have resale concerns going forward. I don't know what resale numbers are currently like for dealers, or how long they have to hold a resale before it actually sells, but given the number of cars that I see online regularly, I wonder why it seems to take so long to move a resale if, as Ferrari apparently thinks, there are enough sales going unfilled that it justifies increasing future production. (But I acknowledge I don't have all the facts that went into that decision, and the facts I think I have may not be accurate.)
    I guess we'll see.

Jim

Zombies, 09Scuderia and Shadowfax like this.