F1 fluid level | FerrariChat

F1 fluid level

Discussion in '348/355' started by apolloluca, Feb 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. apolloluca

apolloluca Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    My 355 F1 has been tucked up in the garage for several weeks now but today was a dry sunny day so I thought I'd take her for a spin. Everything ok but wouldn't to go into third gear? Upon inspection the fluid in reservoir was ok but the orange suspension light was lit. I left it for around half an hour and fluid was overflowing and leaking from cap? Car has the 360 pump upgrade. Does anyone in the know have an idea as to cause? I am thinking it has an air block in system but I believe it would need bleeding on SD diagnostic.

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    You do not want to fill the F1 tank after you have been running. While running the fluid gets sucked into the system and the tank gets low. It equalizes over a period of time (about an hour or so). Filling the tank before it equalizes makes a mess later.

Did the third gear issue happen while driving? or during a "test" in the driveway?

With the engine running & the car stationary, you can only select R, 1 & 2.

With the ignition key on (but without starting the car) You should be able to run the gearbox through all the gears.

3. apolloluca

apolloluca Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Cheers Watson for reply.
    Drove a mile then came back, ignition on but car not running goes through all gears no probs.

4. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Could be a speedo sensor issue if its locking you out of gears. Check connections. Any bouncy gauges? The f1 does funny things but are pretty reliable overall I never had a problem in 6000+ miles.replaced a relay preventatively thats it.

5. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US

Hey Watson,

Been a while, I have a fluid level question for you.

I've had some issues with my F1 Pump and had it serviced and running well. Fluid was running out of the small overflow actuator pipe. The car has sat all winter with starting once a month. My question:

The fluid is empty in the reservoir (not driven for 1 month) and I am concerned that If I top off when cold, I will either have the fluid eruption (that has happened before - I was not the mechanic) out of the top. Or it will just continue to drain out of the bottom overflow tube. The car is shifting great so not sure If I should top it off. Just your thoughts please, thanks.

Boaf

6. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I will second the speed sender (pulse generator) as a check for the 1st and 2nd gear only problem. The F1 reservoir level should not vary much at all, the only large volume in the system that changes much is the accumulator when it fills or empties under pressure as it operates. You also should not have much of a flow of fluid from that actuator pipe, almost none. You could have several things going on here at the same time. If your accumulator bulb is failed (the membrane inside ages and breaks) you could have some shifting issues and larger reservoir level changes. That is easy enough to replace, even more so with the 360 pump upgrade. If your actually loosing that much fluid through your actuator its probably time for rebuild or replacement. The replacements are out there new and used, and there is a place that somewhat recently was doing overhauls but I just don't recall who. Ferrari just wants you to buy a new one.

WATSON likes this.
  7. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The highest fluid level in the F1 tank is after it has been sitting.
    If the tank is empty after sitting for a month....something is wrong.
    As Scott points out, once the pump starts, the fluid is pulled from the tank and pushed into the accumulator bulb to build the hydraulic pressure.
    Once the proper pressure is achieved, the pressure sensor stops the pump and the light stops flashing on the dash.
    At this point you are at the lowest level of fluid in the tank. Make sure there is still some in it.
    To be clear, this cycle can be done before the engine is started. Just turn the key and you can hear the pump go.

Leaking out of the tube on the actuator has been reported.
    Mine does not do it unless it is very cold and sitting all night. And even then it is a few drops.
    If you have a puddle on the ground or flowing enough to affect the tank level. Something is wrong.

8. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    My thoughts confirmed...Always go to the man who knows. I am topping off and will bring in to a tech near my home that was recommended by Dave. Thanks Watson.

WATSON likes this.
  9. bagged_F355

bagged_F355 Rookie

Apr 2, 2019
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Raul Gomez
    so when is the proper time to check the fluid level on this? while running, or before starting the car after sitting cold?

10. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Check it after it has sat overnight and the accumulator has bled back into the reservoir, the fluid is at its highest level at that time. If you check it shortly after running then it will show lower because there is fluid in the accumulator, if you fill it up then the accumulator bleeds down you will overflow the res.

bagged_F355 likes this.
  11. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Recommended Fluid? I hear Red Line but is there a specific weight? Thanks Watson

Boaf

12. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The recommendation is ATF. Not sure on weight, but I THINK (read: I might be wrong) ATF is all the same weight.

Can not say what others use, but I have used Redline and Mobil 1 Synthetic without remarkably different results.
    Current fluid is Mobil 1. In fact I just sucked the tank empty and renewed with new fluid ( I do this every other year for ****s and giggles).

Best of luck.

Boaf 32 likes this.
  13. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks again, doing this tonight!

Boaf

14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Redline D4 ATF

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    At this time, the fluid should just touch the bottom of dipstick

bagged_F355 likes this.
  16. bagged_F355

bagged_F355 Rookie

Apr 2, 2019
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Raul Gomez
    this thread was very helpful thanks guys

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I believe I also have mine in neutral. Won’t make much difference but I think it does make a bit