Pista Journey - Order/Delivery/Enjoyment! | FerrariChat

Pista Journey - Order/Delivery/Enjoyment!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rockminster, Apr 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Hi all,

I thought I'd create a new thread to share a littler bit about my Pista experience.

I've owned a number of Ferraris, including a new Stradale and a new Scuderia (but not a Speciale). As my dealer confirmed that I would be offered a Pista allocation, I was most excited about the car and of course, the fun of deciding how to spec it. I worked both with my local dealer and made a visit to the Ferrari Atelier in Manhattan to work through the design of the car. My objective for my Pista would be different than a lot of other owners. Rather than accentuate how racy the car is, I wanted to go with a more elegant spec, one that would be beautiful, highlight the design aesthetics, and be in a color that would add to the car's usability. I also wanted the car to be a bit unique - not a spec that would be seen often, if ever.

As I discussed this objective with the Atelier, they suggested and then designed the car in green. While this wasn't a color that I would have thought of, as we played around with it, it really began to grow on me. Here are the renderings of the car we designed. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

One of my favorite aspects of the design was the interior, where we started with a full Cuoio spec, but then pared it back to where the seats were essentially the only interior elements in Cuoio.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Note the Tricolore on the center bridge rings - a fabulous touch!
    Before leaving the Atelier, I asked to create a Plan B, knowing that it was possible I'd chicken out on the idea of doing the car in green. That led to us more or less designing the car from the inside out, keeping the Cuoio seated interior and then working through "safer" exterior colors. With that, we settled on Swaters Blu, a deep, rich blue that is a historical color and not as common as some of the other blues like TDF. Here are the renderings of that car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F50gta, tickerhound, BaronM69 and 2 others like this.
  2. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I do think it's worth pointing out that the Ferrari configurator is not great in how it renders some exterior colors. The configurator shows exterior colors as lighter in hue than they are in the real world. I found it's super important to have a look at actual color samples at a minimum, and to see a color on an actual car if at all possible.

3. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I noodled on the two design ideas for a few weeks and solicited opinions from some people I trusted. I definitely heard resale concerns related to the green color, though that didn't really impact my thinking. In the end, I concluded that there was too great of a risk that I wouldn't like how the green car came out and while the Swaters Blu color may not be as unique, there was virtually no chance I wouldn't like the finished product.

Soon thereafter, my dealer called and said that the factory was ready to accept my order, but to avoid a delay in production I'd have to give up the tricolore rings on the center bridge. This was a bummer as I thought it would be a super fun touch, but it was easy to let it go in order to speed up the production of the car. My Pista went into Stage 10 on about October 1, 2018 and finished production on about March 1, 2019. I passed on the opportunity to fly the car - what's another 5 weeks!

of2worlds and LVP488 like this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Congrats on your new car, and in my opinion the blue choice was right :)

of2worlds likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Great looking blue! Congrats

6. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    So, onto the delivery! I'm going to use the car so I had the dealer coordinate doing a full wrap of the car, with a double layer of PPF in some areas. This meant it was a full week from when the car arrived to when I saw it and took delivery. I'm happy to report that the paint was done to a very high level, with it needing paint correction on only one very small area.

My dealership was recently renovated where they created a new configuration and delivery area. My car was in this area when I arrived but I waited to see it until we finished the paperwork. Tempting!

And here it is - Swaters Blu....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rennspeed, MYF430, evo3 and 9 others like this.
  7. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    The dash, doors, headliner are Blu Scuro alcantara, which is a great color for all sorts of configurations, especially on a blue car.

marko.urbac, MYF430, stavura and 4 others like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Thank goodness you went with the Blu. It is stunning. Congrats. Enjoy it.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Rockminster thank you for sharing the story of how your Pista arrived painted Swaters Blu! The interior adds to that elegance. Silver wheels and those stripes really stand out with the dark blue paint color.
    Do you recall the name of that shade of green the Ferrari Atelier suggested? Green like blue is a tricky color; some shades look better than others. Your Pista looks wonderful!

10. OneD

OneD Karting

Mar 18, 2012
    Really a beautiful spec ! Congratulations !

11. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Verde British

of2worlds likes this.
  12. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I've only logged about 150 spirited miles in the Pista, mostly mountain passes with some longish sweepers but some tight esses as well. I'm taking the car on a rally this weekend so that will give me time to get to know the car better and to get further into the break-in.

I think my biggest early takeaway is that the car feels much more sophisticated than the prior special edition V8 cars. It’s incredibly fun but there’s a notable refinement to the whole car that makes it quite different than the others. I think a part of it is the turbo that doesn’t have the N.A. scream of the earlier cars but I think that adds to the Pista because the experience isn’t overwhelmed by the exhaust note. I don't have the sense that I'm driving with my hair on fire. I do like how it sounds, its purposeful, just not overwhelming or one dimensional. This turbo exhaust note was the one area where I was most concerned about the Pista and while I wouldn't say the sound of the car is a reason to buy a Pista (as it was with the CS/Scud/Speciale), it's not a reason to pass on the Pista.

The torque of the turbo is a nice change, as you don’t have to wring the car’s neck to be up in the power band. There is truly zero turbo-lag in the Pista - it's remarkable that way. The Pista feels like it gives more time in the rev band, not spinning up to redline as quickly as the 488 - this makes the Pista more fun, especially when paddle shifting the car. I had a 720S and I do feel like the McLaren leaped forward with more urgency but the Pista feels more linear and with that, is more manageable.

I love the chassis, the car handles flat but the bumpy mode eats up road imperfections. The steering is a tad heavier that the 488, another nice change as I found the 488's steering to be a tad too light and harder to modulate either at turn-in or mid corner.

Of course, there are a few annoyances. My primary complaint deals with the seating position. I like to get my butt as low as it will go and with that I often bring the steering wheel near it's lowest height adjustment. This configuration renders the top part of the dash binnacle completely obscured by the top of the steering wheel, meaning I can't see the rev counter nor the turn signal indicators. The shift lights help with the rev reading issue, but I'm sure I'll drive for miles annoying people behind me by having left my blinker on :) Other challenges are the super clunky 488 carryover infotainment, a lack of interior storage and a back up camera that has a lens that's so low it's more disorienting and unhelpful than it is a parking aid.

Looking forward to logging more miles and getting to know the car.

jm2, Solid State, Thecadster and 4 others like this.
  13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The blue looks great. Mine is TDF blue- I think a bit darker than what you have.

14. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I think TDF is a tad brighter than Swaters. In the pic below I was trying to capture the difference b/w TDF (on the Lusso) and Swaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds and SoCal to az like this.
  15. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    What a stunning Pista!! I would have chosen the Blue over the Green! Excellent spec!

16. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Thanks for sharing. You made some great choices and look forward to hearing more. I am Stage 90 on my Pista and can’t wait to get it so I can experience it first hand. Only a few more weeks!

17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Good call on Swaters Blu

18. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Beautiful spec!

They don't do Blu Scuro leather anymore apparently on the "Airbag areas", glad you could get this in Alcantara as Blu Scuro does fit blue cars interior much better than black.

19. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Totally agree. There was a Blu Scuro leather option at the time but it was a lot brighter blue. In fact, I was surprised how different the leather and alcantara versions of Blu Scuro are.

I’m not a huge fan of the horizontal piping that separates the upper and lower dash. This made it easy for me to choose Nero for my seat stripe since that made the dash element blend in as opposed to pop out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaronM69 and of2worlds like this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Great write up. Very positive but not gushing so most believable. I like the honesty that the sound is not something you would buy the car for but also not something to deter buying it either. Much has been written and many concerned about that and you explained it well. Seating position is what it is. Those that favor a low seat have to compromise with tach visibility. Seems placing the gauge up another inch would be perfect if done in coordination with seat design. Please let us know your impressions after the rally and break-in. Best.

21. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Did you get the race seat lifter? Wondering if that is part of the problem. As a tall guy, been there, done that with the blinker :)! Thx for the writeup!
    t t

22. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I do have the seat lifter. I recall we discussed whether it would impact how low the seat will go and was told it wouldn't, but I should sit in a car without the lifter and see.

23. lanpa8

lanpa8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    congrats on your new ride I also have Blu Swaters on my 812 but for Pista went with Azzuro Dino wanted a different shade

of2worlds likes this.
  24. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Stunning spec and congratulations. Thanks for taking us through the journey.

25. F50gta

F50gta Rookie

Jul 8, 2008
    Orono, MN
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thank you for sharing