Help please 08 599 GTB high oil temp and oil pressure light | FerrariChat

Help please 08 599 GTB high oil temp and oil pressure light

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Molon Labe, Apr 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Molon Labe

Molon Labe Rookie

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael yatco
    hello , i am having this problem after a feew minutes of driving. In Traffic I Noticed my oil temp gets pass the 110 and low oil pressure light comes on. My Coolant temp is the normal 90-100. When i step on the pedal the low oil pressure light is goone but the oil temp is still up there pass 115 and more. I brought it back to the local ferrari dealer and some how couldnt figure it out. They did a manual oil pressure test and it was normal. Replced the sensors and senders. I told them this problem started after i had a fluid change. Before it was Ok. They said they put in 10w60 liquimoly as the shell 10w60 is very hard to comeby where i am. Its hot year round. I went back to the dealer a few times already and its still the same. Now we will try to change the oil to 0w40 shell helix and see if this will solve the problem . The mileage on my car is less than 15k km only. I aprreciate any help or suggestions thank you

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    A few things stand out here

1: if they replaced the sensors and pressure sender then the gauge should indicate correct oil pressure.
    2: why is the dealer not using the specified oil? The 599 needs an additive added to the oil to reduce lifter noise.
    3: I would not deviate from the factory oil specs, especially considering the cost of any internal engine work.

Molon Labe, tbakowsky and daytona355 like this.
  3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm wondering if you may have a faulty oil filter. I have encountered a few bad filters in the past.

4. Molon Labe

Molon Labe Rookie

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael yatco
    You’re absolutely correct but the specicifed SHELL Helix 10w60 is not available where i am . So the dealer used ANOTHER BRAND of the 10W60. Still running the oil temp at 110-120 above that the low pressure light comes on. I still have to put Tutela stabilizer additive which is hard to find. Got one online from Germany. Still waiting for it.I hope that will solve the problem. I was told by a friend that he read a thread about the 599 having dash lights if another brand besides Shell helix is used. Even if the 10w60 specs is the same.

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Still seems odd to me that the a dealer would not stock the Ferrari recommended oil. Surely dealers are obligated to do so?

The high temps you note, are they in traffic or on the highway?

daytona355 likes this.
  6. Molon Labe

Molon Labe Rookie

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael yatco
    In Traffic... the water temp is ok even in heavy traffic when the water temp goes from 90 to 100 the aux fans works . The problem is the engine oil temp. Once it passes 120 even if the water temp is at 95 the oil pressure light comes on while on idle in traffic...but once you step on the gas pedal the oil pressure light goes away. I am still waiting for the tutela oil booster.

Before I asked my local dealer about the specific Brand of 10w60 and the Tutela Booster specified by ferrari and i was surprised the head tech seems to not know about it specialy the oil additive. And they said no matter what Brand of oil as long as its 10w60 its Ok...this is the only ferrari dealer where i am... a few trips back to the dealer for the same issue, really got me worried that they cant figure it out. they are puzzeled. They asked me to find a shell helix 10w60 ...its difficult to source. I can’t find them. So now the car still has the other brand of 10w60... Yesterday i was able to get a different brand of the oil stabilizer . I wanted to see if this will help solve the issue. Will update you once i drive my car this weekend with the other oil additive. I love my 599 but i am not crazy with local dealer. They dont have any parts whatsoever. They are undermanned .under stocked ..Only a few good people in service from what i can tell. They Try to give good service but they lack additional tech knowledge. The dealership should be given to someone else probably with deeper pockets. But thats another matter. Just disappointed. I have other ferraris too 360 f430 458. I havent had this problem.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Is the dealer a Ferrari Authorised Main Dealer?

8. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques

Whereabouts in the world are you from?

9. Molon Labe

Molon Labe Rookie

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael yatco
    Yes its a Ferrari Dealer. Only 1 Ferrari dealer in the country

10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What country are you in? I could happily source the oils for you, and get them shipped to you if it’s an issue wherever you are, but you might want to make sure customs will allow the personal import