360 - Oil Change or not to Oil Change | FerrariChat

360 Oil Change or not to Oil Change

Discussion in '360/430' started by russomanno, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russomanno

russomanno Karting

Dec 16, 2011
    The car has been sitting for just over year and hasn't been driven, oil is almost fresh, should I get another Oil Change? Can I get the oil in there tested?

2. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I would especially if it’s just been sitting. I change mine once a year no matter what. You’d most likely be fine not doing it but it’s cheap and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkdiablo33, docf and whatheheck like this.
  3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Change it every year regardless. With sitting around, condensation is your enemy.

blkdiablo33, E60 M5, docf and 2 others like this.
  4. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Totally agree with the above. Cheap insurance and then you know you are starting with a fresh/non-contaminated fill.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

no, waste of money.
    engine oil won't degrade over time, especially 1 year, such a short time. I go by 5000km. however long time it takes. even 4 years.
    sometimes i go by 8000km.

6. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dry climate here in Arizona.
    I do it every couple of years.
    Brake flush and coolant change also important.

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    True, but how does that impact the oil? Condensation matters most on those components that the oil should be protecting not the oil itself. Go run the car hard, get the oil up to temp and any moisture in the oil will evaporate. Starting the car to get the oil warm and then draining will have done nothing to protect wear items that did not have an oil protected film on them.

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I have to agree with the misconception of condensation. Oil sitting, not a big deal. Guys who only start their cars to "warm them up" mode every so often are truly creating a condensation situation that could be harmful. Starting your car and driving it a good bit to operating temps I would agree, will indeed evaporate moisture and coat all the inner parts of your engine. Just my take on it. But I'm no chemical engineer. Just a lifetime sports car owner who regularly drives his cars and keeps them for years.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Testing the oil isn’t a bad a idea. Much less $ than an oil change. Personally I’d change it, but that’s me.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If your car is going to sit for extended periods of time may want to use some of this
    https://aslcamguard.com/
    Popular in general aviation, where piston engines with overhead cams and flat tappets (lycomings) tend to shed their protective oil film during periods of non-use. As I recall the guy who developed this was a longtime chem engineer with a major petroleum firm developing engine oils.

11. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    When in doubt.....Change it

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #12 f355spider, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    There is an interview on youtube or website (can't recall exactly) with the owner of Blackstone Labs that does oil analysis. Based on their decades of experience with testing car oil samples, he said one thing he could comment on definitively, is you do not need to change your oil based on time. Oil does degrade based on amount of use, the type of engine and driving habits.

bellwilliam likes this.
  13. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Just starting you car every now and then, without getting oil up to temp - will cause more water in your oil- along with more fuel dilution caused by engine cold start mode richness. Getting you oil up to temp for awhile will usually burn off most of the water content and fuel products. From my research and understanding, your base oil really never wears out, the additive package that's blended into it becomes overwhelmed in time with different particulates ( blow-by, dirt from normal intake air / normal combustion and water) thus causing your oil unable to properly do its job of lubrication and heat dissipation. Oil testing is cheap , I have commercial account's due to the nature of my business, but generally its under 20 bucks for a standard analysis. Blackstone Labs is a good source of information, and do good work, I speak with them frequently, and also quote then on my website. I also use ALS Tribology, they have labs all over the country.

Just my 2 cents

14. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    It’s fine, so long As you get it hot on good long drives occasionally. Once a year regardless of miles is a environmental, time and money waste.

Go ahead and do the cheap oil test and prove to all the “cheap insurance” guys.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    BS to those who say do not change it. At least once that way, you will have to get the oil hot.

16. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Because?

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Exactly, because.

E60 M5 likes this.
  18. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Why muck around getting the oil tested. For a hundred bucks it's gone and brand new again. I know of big industrial machines where the oil never gets changed. Just the additive package gets topped up via the testing. This can save $1000's not $100. Those machines don't do 8500rpm either.

19. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    here it is. at 10m 20s mark:

f355spider likes this.
  20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #20 f355spider, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    That is not actually the interview I saw, but same information, so great, thank you. The interview I saw the owner and interviewer were seated during the discussion.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Never changes the oil cause unbolting two drain plugs and refilling with oil is too much hassle or cost but tells everyone: "I have a FERRARI!"

Belts don't degrade either just sitting around... right? If you bought a car that was sitting for 10 years you'd just hop in and drive it across the country right? Cause' oil doesn't do anything when it sits in the pan? Change it, document it and for gods sake drive it!

GSF355 and Raconteur like this.
  22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nice hyperbole, but doesn't change the fact that the experts at Blackstone Labs that test used oil as their business, say oil doesn't significantly degrade sitting in the engine. USE degrades it. Go back to post #19

bellwilliam likes this.
  23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    For some applications oil analysis is very valuable. Telling anyone whether they should do a sub $200 oil change isn't one of them in my eyes.
    And I didn't see this on their website.. but get me a written warranty that tells me that they'll pay the cost for damages that might result from NOT replacing the oil until their test deems it.. and I'm all ears.

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That is a ridiculous argument and you are using it because you know that no oil analysis company can or will do that, as there are too many variables to do so. They offer general advice based on tens of thousands of oil analysis and comparisons of those data sets. It is up to the customer to decide if they follow such advice and use their judgement. So great, you win, because the only way you are convinced of their expertise is when they offer a guarantee for following it. Do doctors offer a written warranty for their advice and will pay all costs for damages that might result from following it?

Jstephen and bellwilliam like this.
  25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You know that there are at least 3 lawyers out there waiting in baited breath for me to "warranty" my clinical decisions. And yes.. they want me to pay all the costs and more. :)
    There is no "winning" or "loosing" the debate. My point being that of course they're going to argue that. They don't have any skin in the game. Anyone who has no accountability for their advice doesn't matter in my eyes. If you buy a Dino that just had an oil change when it was put away in some barn 20 years ago and the oil analysis says "it's like new", you're going to go out and drive it 1000 miles?
    It's about practicality. You're going to change the fluids and then take it out. I don't get Ferrari owners that don't do annual oil changes or have 10 year old batteries in their cars that they just recharge. You just do the oil change or swap out the battery. It's too easy not to. Same thing with oil filters. I'm sure that lab studies indicate don't ever have to change them in 10 years of ownership because the filter company says you don't have to. It's 40 bucks.. just change it.