BMW guys on FerrariChat? | Page 71 | FerrariChat

BMW guys on FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by DriveAfterDark, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I'm not referring to the tank I'm referring to the radiator itself. A radiator on a bmw lasts about 45-60k miles then begins to leak and cause overheating. It would cost probably an extra 5 bucks for them to be made from aluminum from the factory. Every other car manufacturer has aluminum radiators that will last beyond the entire life of the car. I had to pay Zionsville auto $700 in order for the pleasure of having an adequate cooling system and a radiator that will not leak after 50k miles. The fact that this company thinks it is okay to make a radiator made of plastic is mind-blowing and unreal.

lashss likes this.
  2. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Almost finished cleaning up the S62 swap in my E34. I think I found the best of BMW. The E34 is one of the better-looking classics, and has aged well. I've updated all the tech so that I have modern toys (bixenon projectors, bluetooth streaming, etc), and now have one of the better and more durable engines they've made. Goes like stink.

Chassis has 300k kms, engine has 250k.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I always heard that the E34 is the most reliable bmw ever made. yes I said reliable and bmw in the same sentence :) LOL

lashss and tantumaude like this.
  4. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    The radiator core isn't made of plastic, the side tanks are. And radiators in all manufacturer's cars will start to leak where the tank is attached to the radiator. It's very common. Perhaps BMW is having more trouble than others, but it's a common thing.

2017 Ford Taurus radiator:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2017 BMW 5 series radiator:

5. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I've had very few problems with mine (with some 190K miles). I'm in the process of replacing the clutch fan and the radiator, but that was due to a squirrel getting caught between the fan and the radiator, and not the car. Other than that, it's been items I would think are normal maintenance for a car of its age and mileage (suspension bushings, catalytic converters, etc).

tantumaude likes this.
  6. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Pretty sure mine leaked in the center last time, or at least looked as if it was. Either way you are correct but the fact that the edges are made of plastic is unconscionable and a disgrace. Never in my life, I have owned 10 other cars and never did I experience a failed radiator. I think they're around 250 dollars new. What a rip off. 250 dollars for a 10 cent radiator LOL

7. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Cars have been switching to plastic tank/aluminum radiator since the early 80s.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are ALL plastic now. From Ford to Rolls Royce. They all leak, and are pretty much made by the same 3 companies world wide.

Protouring442 likes this.
  9. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    Still, it's pretty sad when a Kia has vastly more reliability than cars 2-3 times the price. BMW now builds cars for leases, plain and simple. I'd dare say that a new Ferrari is more reliable than a new BMW. It's what happens when the bean counters run the company instead of the engineers.

lashss, tantumaude and tbakowsky like this.
  10. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    For you E36 M3 owners, has anyone used a different mechanical fan that is more durable?

Flex A Lite makes some very nice mechanical fans that bend with rpm to eliminate drag when moving but flow very well when the car is idling.

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Ferrari is less tempermental than the bmw. The only difference is the stickershock of the prices/certain jobs with an F car. I drove mine 4 years and 7k miles with zero issues.

Leave a BMW sitting for just a week or two and it already begins to get arthritis.

12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

This is news to me. But I have never owned a car newer than 2004. Every car I've owned up until that point has had the standard aluminum radiator. The company I bought my radiator from does build them from scratch. I wonder if in the future they'll make me one if I bring in the original. Pretty sad that this has happened. It will just result in more cars ending up on the side of the road.

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Actually, they are not too bad now. The earlier units were really bad in the bmws. Heck the last car I have seen with a factory aluminum rad were in the 456, 550, and I think the 612.

Porsche, benz, BMW, ferrari, lambo, any Japanese car, GM, Ford, Chrysler all plastic tanks with aluminum cores..

14. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    #1764 bart12, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    I brought out the M5 to clean it. The car had a dent and was just fixed by pdr. Now I love it all over again.

Attached Files:

15. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Will do paint correction but she still shines!

Boomhauer and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Gorgeous in Imola Red. Is that Jade Green Metallic hiding in the garage?

17. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Java green metallic.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  18. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Really, I had a 550 for awhile and could've sworn it had an aluminum rad. in it

19. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My 2013 328 x drive is at the dealer for what they tell me is a failing transfer case. BMW wants $5,200 to fix it. The car has 82K on it so I don't think I can justify putting that much into it.

Off to Carmax we go..

This was my first BMW, but may be my last. If I want to dump huge sums of money into a German car, I have a 996 for that.

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey, sorry to hear. On a car with 82k miles, you may want to consider buying a used transfer case and saving some money. No reason to have a new transfer case on a high mileage car... Here is one option from a very quick google search for a few hundred bucks. you can probably have it delivered to an independent shop and have it installed for a fraction of the price.

https://carpartsource.com/products/2013-bmw-328i-transfer-case-assembly_car_9522?matchtype=&network=g&device=c&adposition=1o2&keyword=&campaign=1421338228&adgroup=pla-631474924452&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIot_MtrWF4wIVIv_jBx0giQb2EAQYAiABEgIv3PD_BwE

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Thanks Joe. I am going to call some independent shops to see what options there are.

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    anyone have experience with the current (G30 chassis) 5 series? 540s in particular.

2017's are starting to roll off lease and are attractive as a CPO buy, at least in theory.

this will be daily commuter in Florida, so no expectations as a performance car.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Used transfer cases are a dime a dozen. 300 bucks should get you one. However, it may be on its last legs too. Install takes no more then 2 hours or less for an experianced tech. Book time is 4 or 5 hours.

24. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Interesting. A couple independents were not willing to put a used one in. Found one shop that would, but quoted $2500. Better than $5K, but still a lot of money to put into this car. We are debating just replacing the car with something else.

25. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    No experience, but I do think it's a very beautiful car. I didn't like it when I first saw the pictures, but in person it's very very attractive.