Pista spec thoughts | FerrariChat

Pista spec thoughts

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by C50, Apr 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    #1 C50, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    yet another Pista spec thread where I’d welcome some informed opinions regarding my selections

Presently, I am planning on RC with nart/an/nart stripe, all carbon, base dark rims, alu calipers (I know, basic)

Interior most carbon, Blu scuro alcontara w grigio scuro stitch/Cavalino, B Santorini leather detail

My pause relates to the exterior stripe and interior blue. I like the look of the interior, but wonder if the exterior stripe should be something with more pop? Like Blu Corsa/AN? or would that be overkill?

One other question: calipers blue, bad call? I Put it on the configurator and it looked not bad but i can’t recall seeing a spec like that which makes me think it’s for a good reason (namely, that having so many blues doesn’t look as good as silver)

Appreciate any input
    Cheers

2. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Sounds rather boring to me.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am not so sure about the blue interior with RC. I dont mind the blue but not sure this combo will work. Did you see it somewhere?

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I would agree with the others. I think you are trying to force blue in the mix when it doesn’t really go with the rosso corsa.

I’d go with black interior with red stripe. Red or yellow calipers.

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Red exterior and blue interior will look like Superman/Spiderman themed car. Blue interior goes with white exterior better. For red exterior agree black, cuoio, beige interior with red stitching or piping.

Would not do blue calipers on red exterior.

6. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    A Ferrari Chat contributor had a 458 Speciale in Scuderia Red with blu scurro alcantara. His incoming Pista is RC with sterling (blue) interior. I think if you reach out to him you can get a true sense of how the colors go together. I do know that when he went to the Atelier, he nixed the blue brakes. Didn't show well against the red.
    His Fchat contact is DADR. His name is Todd. If you PM him, I am sure he will get back to you quickly and honestly answer your questions.

C50 and Rory breaker like this.
  7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    No disagreement. Basic but classic. I started out planning something more unique and pricey but perhaps questioned my judgement.

8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I have not seen the combo, another reason to pause and ask for input. On the dealer’s big screen it looked good.
    The Alcantara is actually quite charcoal grey in real life. People describe a blue tint in sunlight but I didn’t appreciate it. Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I started w black interior and red stripe. And then the configurator button-mashing began

10. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Agreed re Superman
    An actual blue Alcantara would not appeal to me. In this case, it’s just the stripe.

Sounds like the consensus is blue calipers is a hard stop. No disagreement here.

11. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Many thanks for the tip
    Will do so after work

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Titanio with blue interior and white stitching, satin wheels and carbon bits.

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #13 Shadowfax, Apr 24, 2019
    Trying to fix what isnt broken usually winds up in creating a whole lot of uneccesary trouble which doesnt eventuate to a better outcome.
    You only need look at the launch specs to see what Ferrari saw as being the better look and they have everything at their disposal.
    If you were to do anything off the beaten path with RC - in a bid to stand out over and above the usual launch spec varieties - it would be by introducing a special red into the mix. If i had my time again that would be the ONLY thing i would bother with. The rest can then stay the same such as the tri AN/BA, or double AN or BA/Neto stripe, the black alc interior with red piping, red or yellow calipers.

Re you q on blue i Would also agree blue really doesnt work well at all with RC.

14. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Congratulations on your allocation!

I am one who really likes the combination of red/Blu Scuro. I did my Speciale in Rosso Scuderia/Blu Scuro/NART stripe and it looked fantastic in person. I got a lot of sneers when I told people red car with blue interior, but once everyone saw it they loved it. Blu Scuro is near black for all intents and purposes just enough dark navy to know it is different but blends easily with the black elements still in the interior remains racy but a little hint of custom.
    I liked it enough to order my Pista in RC with Blu Scuro and Blue America stripe. NART Blue is much brighter and worked with RS as it is also brighter. RC is deeper as is Blue America which is nearly black but just enough dark navy to know it is different, sound familiar. Now this is where we differ. I did not want to introduce another powerful color into the interior like Azuro Santorini which I see you are trying to pull in the brightness of the NART inside but I feel the red accents or more harmonious with the exterior. I did this with the Speciale and now the Pista.
    Now as for the blue calipers, I chose gold rims both for the unique historical look and I just think they look amazing at the Atelier. Yellow Calipers looked bizarre behind the gold as did RC. The gold calipers are not gold at all more bronze and didn’t pair with the gold rims. What goes well with gold well blue does and looked perfect, but the wheel caps in yellow didn’t work so I requested them to be painted blue with bright cavellino which they did. Now I wouldn’t go blue calipers with Silver, Grigio, or Black wheels.
    So it essentially is just a slight variation on the launch spec, enough to know it was mine, but not polarizing.
    Now this is also coming from a guy who is getting out of a 488 Spider in Grigio Titanio with full Blue Sterling leather and Grigio Scuro stripe and piping with Grigio Chairo stitching, so I am clearly not afraid of blue! This combination was stunning and elegant, but when I think of the special series cars I always see them as Red.

Here are some pics of the Speciale RS/Blu Scuro in different lighting to see the evolution of color.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

My Pista is built and hopefully nearing port soon so will have pics soon.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Enjoy your journey, whatever you see in your mind, build it, and you will love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C50 likes this.
  15. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Agreed with everything you described re Ferrari and their inherent superiority over myself in design decisions.
    My simplifying from a fancy one-off to a near-launch spec was based on the immediate classic appearance of their selection. As you said, it ain’t broke. But the candy-store variety of options makes it easy to consider ill-advised combinations.
    I considered going for a three-layer red like Maranello or Fuoco but I clear-wrap my cars and worried the lost luster would make the final result not worth the spend.
    My one residual variance under consideration is the B Santorini leather. Not sure how that will work w RC so more investigation is needed.

16. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    #16 C50, Apr 24, 2019
    Thank you, I'm rather excited.
    I just realized that I misstated my original spec: It is RC with BA/AN/BA stripe, as the configurator defaults.
    Your description of the gold rims with blue calipers, as well as the conflict with the yellow caps, are similar to my feelings when working with the configurator. I do like the classic red car with gold rims, but not quite as much as the darker stock grigio, so I didn't investigate replacing the caps as you did. But your solution sounds ideal.
    Your description of bringing the blue from the stripe to the interior is what I had in mind. Imagining it as BA, as opposed to NART, do you believe it is even more discordant to bring Santorini into the cabin?
    Thanks for sharing the Speciale images. Lovely. It does look like a great color combo, but perhaps your selection of red stitching and inserts is a decision in better taste than my own.
    Many thanks for the thoughtful reply. This is all helpful information to me.

Also, thanks to everyone else for adding your thoughts. FChat is a great resource and I value the wisdom of the brain trust.

17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Just remember- less is more. The dark blue Alcantara interior as described by dadr I think would work fine with a red stripe. But I would personally avoid the lighter blue leather in the picture above.

Less is more. I can’t say that enough. Go for harmony and balance- not just to throw an extra color in there because you can.

C50 likes this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #18 Shadowfax, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    I wouldn't let the candy store confuse you. It's a fine line between what gets generally seen as good taste or, a self indulgent mess hence why I would stay well away from any blue that could not be mistaken for a black or dark grey in most lights. The bu scurro alc interior to me didn't look blue but more of a dusky grey.....a bit chalky and drab looking. The black otoh looked more of a very dark grey in sunlight...more in keeping with the desired contrast you would expect with a red sports car. But of course to each their own preference. Azuro santorini would be a very big no for me looking at that pic....better left for the aegean.

C50 and BG23 like this.
  19. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Agree, less is more
    Funny thing is, I opted for the Apollo seat inserts to be the same Alcantara as the rest of the seat in an effort to minimize the range of materials/textures/colors. To follow that with the blue stripe...

Yeah. Bad call on my part.

Red it is.
    I’ll mull over the grey vs straight black for the rest of the interior. Black w red is classic, and classic. is part of what I’m looking to enjoy with the exterior.

20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Congrats on the allocation, looking forward to seeing your Pista around town! Just bumped into another local guy yesterday who specced his Pista in RC as well, can't be too many headed to 808

C50 likes this.