AVH failure resulting in locked brakes | Page 4 | FerrariChat

AVH failure resulting in locked brakes

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by EVONick, May 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks for going into detail about your experience.

You made the right decision to get rid of that car. Your lucky that nothing worse happened

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Likely electrical failure caused damage to other ecus which took time to fail further.

Too bad.

SV

3. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    That car is still being sold on Cars.com right now. Zero of this is on its carfax. How scary is that...

of2worlds likes this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So I started my car up this morning and was parked in a lot on a flat surface and the AVH light came on but it was just informing me that AVH was active I thought. Anyway it didn't clear when I drove off and I drove all the way home, about 15 miles and the light was on the whole time but no evidence the brakes were on. I parked it and restarted it and the AVH indicator was gone. Not sure what this was about.

I have never seen the AVH indication before but I always saw it at a particular stoplight with my 991tts. I sit at the same light in the 488 and the indication never shows up. I normally just keep my foot on the brake at that light but with the Porsche, you would see the indication if you released the regular brakes.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    To come full circle on this, my 488 GTB VIN ZFF79ALA8H0224449 was recently sold at auction to an unknown party, dealer or consumer.

Ferrari did report the car to the CA DMV as a Lemon, and it was retitled. It took them 4 months to get around to it, but at least they did honor what the law says.

Attached Files:

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks for the update.

What do you think of the F8 Tributo? Or is it too much of a reminder of your 488?

7. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    I think it is an awesome update that makes the Pista yesterday's news. In fact I can't believe they made people jump thru hoops to get a Pista when the Tributo is the same thing but better looking. But the platform is aging, and instead of doing a unprecedented second facelift to the 458 platform, they should be building a CF monocoque chassis car like McLaren. It's the future and Ferrari can't rest on history much longer.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks for the update.

What do you think of the F8 Tributo? Or is it
    I think the cognoscienti agree with you. The F8 will be the last of the old platform, which as you point out, is looking dated in spite
    of the attempt to refresh the design.

The two new performance models will be something to anticipate. Hopefully
    both new cars will exceed expectations.

9. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    What are these models? Any threads here about them? I've not been keeping up with Ferrari because of this 488 debacle.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I’m referring to the new mid rear engine layout models which will replace the 458/488/F8 platform.

One model is supposed to be a smaller displacement V6 turbo. The other has been referred to as “big brother”, a V8 turbo hybrid (I suspect with electric drive to front wheels) which will sit at the top of the sports model line up

11. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What debacle? Please elaborate.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I received the AVH and Electrical Failure/Contact Your Dealer codes a few days ago as I started the car to go for a drive. Still in the car, I called my dealer and they asked me to restart. The screens replicated. Tried again, and the error codes did not display. Away, I drove.

One thing that I did that day - and this happened with my 488 at least once before - was push the reverse and auto bridge buttons while the car was early in its diagnostic mode immediately after start. Maybe this is just my experience, but I think that someone else mentioned this before on F chat, and that is that the car sometimes seems to get confused or overloaded when receiving inputs in the startup diagnostic mode. Maybe the Ferrari is just not good at multitasking upon startup.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Read the thread.

14. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Presumably though your brakes did not lock up when you first got the codes? Or were they locked and you couldn't drive away until a restart when the codes went away? Or did you not try to drive while the codes were displayed?

15. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

As a 488 owner, I can assure that I have. And while I can certainly empathize with those that have encountered the problem, I do not believe that in a global sense, it rises to the level of it being a "debacle".

16. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Pfffffffttt - I have zero interest in your etymological reindeer games.

17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Correct, no brake lockup. I did not try to drive away while codes were on the screen.

From within my car, I immediately called my dealer service department and they advised on a restart to clear “false codes.” They were adamant that nothing was wrong with the car and intimated that they had seen this many times and that it was battery induced.

While on the phone with them, I searched the code issues and found that what I had just experienced had happened before with others. I mentioned the brake lockup issue you experienced to the dealer and they reassured me that once the codes were gone I wouldn’t have to worry about brake lockup. In the end, they strongly advised that I tend the battery any time the car was not in use.

18. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    You're lucky!

The first time this happened to me was late at night, the brakes locked up while driving as the codes came on, so no forewarning of anything amiss. Most disconcerting to say the least. And in my case clearing the codes did seem to mitigate the issue, but I can't verify 100% because the codes only cleared with a restart one time. The other time the car became unlocked by itself, and the duration was so long that I cannot be sure when the codes cleared, and the third time I cleared them myself thru a "denial of service attack" on the brake ECU.

I doubt your dealer has seen this problem "many times"—actually scratch that. The cynic in me says they have seen it many times— on cars in service they've allowed to sit for too long, draining the battery... :D

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yep happened to me on the week end.

Got petrol , restarted the car and it was like a Christmas tree. Ever error was scrolling thru. Moved the car a few feet . Turned the engine off then restarted and no errors.

Contacted Ferrari and they said make sure that's its always on tender , which it is. I drive her once a week and even that they said it wasn't enough.

My bad was when it happened I should have looked at the voltage which I didn't.

Im of the opinion that due to the lengthy time it takes for the car to come over that the battery isn't 100% to start with. Im going to monitor the voltage and see what happens

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Curious do you have electric seats ? Was advised to start car before using any electrical power , eg electric seat memory and windows. Going to check out really how much voltage the alternator gives. Don't know on the Ferrari but standard cars are generally 14.4 volts and then might come down to about 13.5 volts

21. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Not any bit less enthused for my incoming 488 but this thread is an eye opener. Sorry to hear OP about your troubles but good for you to stand up for what you think is right and thanks very much for taking the time to share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EVONick likes this.
  22. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Might just add my own experience here too. I'm based in Australia and have a 2018 488 spider.

Ive had the AVH failure appear intermittantly throughout the majority of my ownership over the last yeah, and am noticing it even moreso recently. The car is always on a trickle charger when not driven and is usually driven atleast once a week (ive done 11k km in 12 months).

Ive had the Ferrari service guys at 2 different local service centres check it out but so far unable to replicate or find the issue (which is annoying). Last service was last week and it's appeared twice since then. I've started taking photos each time it happens so I can have a running log of how often its occuring, just to help the service guys by giving as much info as possible.

Recently, when I start the car for the first drive its fine, but after I stop at my first destination (recently after about 45mins of driving) and fire it up again, I commonly get the fault. For me I have never had a break lock up yet whilst moving (luckily!). Usually I have to turn the car off, wait some time (usually 5-15 mins), fire it up and hope for the best. Sometimes few starts/stops finally gets it to release.

Quite annoying and is making me drive the car less, especially with others as I dont wanna be stranded somewhere. Im waiting on tyres to come in next week for the dealer, I'm going to bring the issue up again and see what we can do. I'll update here accordingly.

sampelligrino and of2worlds like this.
  23. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Sorry you've had to experience this, marring what is otherwise a great car. At least you have not had moving lockup. To be clear, when you say the fault, do you mean only the light itself, or the light AND the car's brakes are locked standing still, rendering you unable to move?

24. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Parking brake stuck on, unable to release it to go anywhere. After I cycle the car, sometimes I can get the brake to release and the AVH warning light stays on. Sometimes it just works perfectly after a few attempts (or more commonly after leaving it for 5 mins or so).

Suuuper annoying when you pull into a fuel station, fill up, then get stuck at the pump turning your car on/off for 15 mins lol.

25. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    And in my case, one time it cleared upon a simple restart, the other it locked up presumably permanently (24hrs+) until I worked the e-brake switch, brake pedal, and ignition on/off many times in a "denial of service" attack, which did release the system. If you were in a bad situation or area, and the brakes locked, it could mean your life.