Official Daytona Spyder Alloy conversion Thread | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Spyder Alloy conversion Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Portenos, Apr 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I now have 15689 the alloy re-body done by the Modena Carrozzeria Autosport in 1979.
    According to Franco Bacchelli in Sept of 2018 he only did 2 of them.
    It is the intention of this thread to provide a forum for those who own one of these alloy re-bodied Spyder Conversions.
    Other Spyder conversions done in steel are also welcome to post photos and histories of their cars as well.
    Please only actual Ferrari Daytona chassis and mechanicals are welcome i.e. NO Corvette chassis cars.
    I purchased my car in July of 2018 and have enjoyed it very much.
    Here are some photos of the car and Franco Bacchelli taken in Sept of 2018 to kick off any interest.
    He remembered the car very well.
    Ciao,
    FGM Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pierre P, anunakki, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Very nice - more pictures, please!

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #3 Portenos, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    RamsHmb, anunakki and 375+ like this.
  4. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I purchased the car without the Tonneau Cover and didn't realize how complicated it was to make a new one. Fortunately Luppi the son had the patterns and was able to make the cover now I had to figure out how to make the folding aluminum pieces.
    Here are some photos of Luppi the son making the Tonneau Cover in Modena last Sept.
    I was lucky to have Jon Shirley as my neighbor who kindly lent me his original Daytona Spyder Tonneau for my sheet metal man to copy.
    He did a beautiful job and here are the photos.
    Ciao,
    FGM

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    What a beautiful car!:):):)

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Looks great, just for reference, you could have bought the ali. part of the tonneau cover from Brandoli who has the original patterns and supplies parts for old cars to Ferrari.

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Yes, Brandoli has been a very good source of odd parts for my car and is a good friend for many years.
    Ciao,
    FGM

375+ likes this.
  8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Last Thursday we loaded up the Daytona and headed off to La Jolla ( San Diego ) for the La Jolla Concours.
    There were festivities on Fri Sat and the show on Sunday. It was a really great Concours, held on a beautiful green park directly ocean side, spectacular - simply perfect. The Daytona ran great as we cruised the lovely back roads through Julian and Ramona and onto Rancho Santa Fe and to our Hotel in La Jolla.
    To my surprise the car won the coveted MCEE Award as the car he would most like to drive home. While in San Diego I enlisted Gary Bobileff Motorcars to install all new upper and lower ball joints and 6 new tie rod ends. He then performed a proper 4 wheel alignment which made the car perform like a new car.
    The drive home was a pleasure. It now has all new Koni shocks and rebuilt front suspension.
    I can highly recommend Bobileff Motor Cars as they did a very professional job in a short amount of time.
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki, AtSomePoint and of2worlds like this.
  9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The other evening while waiting for the tow truck!
    Please click the pic for a larger version.

RamsHmb, Ridgeback, anunakki and 3 others like this.
  10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Is this a Bacchelli Re-Body? Looks lovely.
    Ciao,
    FGM

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  12. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    What was the problem Grant?

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Electrical Matt, I have ordered 2 condensers that go on the side of the distributor’s as I think it might be those, the new ones went faulty not long after buying them from Ferrari with very similar symptoms, to test them, about 3 years ago we put the old [ 45 years old] ones on and it worked fine but forgot to change them over to some more new ones!
    Fingers crossed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    My car was not the only dead thing there as I parked next to a cemetery!

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but those on the cementery could not pulled away ;) and get fixed again

christc and of2worlds like this.
  15. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    anunakki likes this.
  16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The rear view of your Daytona in the first picture looking into the distance reminds me of this ad from 1967. The stance of those tires looks much more friendly now! Great pictures of your Daytona, thank you for sharing here.

lgs and 375+ like this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    34 gallons in a 1967 Corvette = tanker. That would be 1 of 2 but you knew that;)

readplays and of2worlds like this.
  18. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Here are some tuning videos preformed after the conversion to electronic ignition.

Ciao,
    FGM

19. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Here is the one that explains how it all works by Gary Bobileff.

Ciao,
    FGM

20. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    Thanks for posting this video. So the electronic ignition conversion that you installed is specific to European Daytonas only?

21. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    No, I don't think so.
    FGM

22. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Video showing the servicing of the trunk and gas door handles and replacing the broken bezels.

Ciao,
    FGM

23. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Here are the before and after photos showing the trunk and gas door release handles.
    Note the broken bakelite bezels and the new replacement aluminum bezels including new fasteners after installation.
    In the second photo you can see the totally rusted emergency release cable which has now been replaced.
    The job was pretty straightforward and now the handles work really well and seat perfectly!
    Ciao,
    FGM

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I checked the exhaust pipes after a 45 minute blast up the 10 freeway to Indio last night and noted a perfect light grey color.
    At 6:30PM (check the clock) the desert air cools down and there is very little traffic.
    It's the last drive before the car gets trucked back to Mercer Island.
    I find that the 100Low lead keeps things nice and clean. What a gem to drive, and that sound, that glorious sound!
    Ciao,
    FGM

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour

Second All Alloy Spyder Confirmed

It has now been confirmed that there were 2 alloy bodied Daytona Spyders built by Bacchelli in Modena. The first one chassis #15689 owned by me ,and the 2nd alloy body Daytona Spyder conversion was built for the Formula 1 driver Rene Arnoux.
    Franco Bacchelli has confirmed this and sent a photo of the two of them taken during the construction of his Spyder. I have attached the photo courtesy of Bacchelli of a young Rene and Franco taken at AutoSport in Modena in the early 1980’s

René Alexandre Arnoux (born 4 July 1948)[1] is a French former racing driver who competed in 12 Formula One seasons (1978 to 1989). He participated in 165 World Championship Grands Prix (149 starts) winning seven of them, achieving 22 podium finishes and scoring 181 career points. His best finish in the World Drivers' Championship was third in 1983 for Ferrari.
    In 1977, Arnoux won the European Formula Two Championship. In 2006 he raced in the inaugural season of the Grand Prix Masters series for retired F1 drivers.
    As soon as I have the chassis number of the second conversion I will provide it to the group. If anyone knows the chassis number please feel free to post it here.
    Chassis No 15689 continues to provide great driving pleasure with 85,790 miles now on the clock. I drive it a lot.
    Ciao,
    FGM

NYC Fred, Pierre P, 375+ and 2 others like this.