360 vs F355 future appreciation | Page 3 | FerrariChat

360 vs F355 future appreciation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Charlie Hawkins, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    We all have our opinions. No reason to act like a child. Be polite and respectful or go back to your playground.

2. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Saw a 360 Spider this past weekend visiting a local exotic car dealership. I must say, those cars still look amazing to me. The low, wide, curvy profile and glass bonnet.. I say this as someone who has always loved the 355 since I could remember. Never driven either, but, for pure aesthetics, the 360 still seems much more modern and exotic to me. Seems like pretty damn good value for a relatively modern day Ferrari

Graz, randkin and paulchua like this.
  3. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    I will be very curious to see where the market goes with the manual cars. I was born in 1981. I drove my first stick on my uncle's ranch in Texas when I was 8 and fell in love. Later at 16 my first car was a stick and many of my friends in high school had manuals and loved them. This might not be a good sampling of demographics, but it seemed to me that there were a LOT of manual transmission fans in my age bracket. I think there could be at least one more wave of manual transmission fans coming that will be able to afford these cars over the next 10-20 years. Then again, I could be completely wrong.... though my son who is 15yrs old now loves cars(definitely my fault) and he is itching to drive my cars.... I recently purchased my first F-car, a gated 360. I don't think I will ever sell it- it is my dream car and I love the gated shifter. I think there are many more people in my age bracket who would want manual Fcars but can't afford at this time. BUT If it doesn't appreciate- oh well, i didn't buy it to sell it, i bought it to drive it!

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Graz and Texas Forever like this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I never knew a single person that said a Dino will never appreciate, it was way before my time. Not saying it didn't happen, on the contrary...I'm sure it was denigrated by some. That said, I do consider it not only a Ferrari, but an Enzo era at that. So all bets off for that epoch.

As far as the TR, theoretically it has not appreciated, since most of the cars have current price still is below it's inflated adjusted MSRP.

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Charlie, I am not sure you are going to get much if any appreciation on the ‘91 928 GT although I like the car and it has increased some in value from a few years ago. The ‘87 Saab 900 turbo they made too many and only appeals to a very small eclectic group to get much appreciation. IMO Also the Mauser is pretty early to evaluate a 12 year old car unless there were only a very few made? So why do you need the Fcar to appreciate? Unless there is some sentimental reason you have for collecting those cars I would consider cutting your holding costs on one or more of those cars. Then getting a 360 MT spider.
    When you say you did well on the 2 Porsches did you actually make a bottom line profit considering all holding costs (see my prior post) or just not lose much and enjoy owning the cars? Most folks I have known other than professionals don’t money on their car hobby, that’s why it is called a hobby and not a business.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I like both models in different ways. There are several owners that I know of on here that own one of each because they like the differences that are there and they seem to compliment each other.

I was hoping to purchase a 360 couple weeks ago but the ppi indicated some issues it needed addressed so I passed. I ended up with something else and am very, very happy. Something goes south, then goes north because of karma.

Both cars are fairly slow compared to today’s recent offerings. But both are still fun to drive and a great ownership experience. So definitely buy what you really like, and then go for something really different like a v12 or 458... if you try it, and it misses the mark, you can always trade or sell it for the other or even a dif f-car without much difference.

Don’t wait too long. Life is short.

Robb

7. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Its very easy to find an F355 Gated manual, its not as easy to find a 360 Gated manual..also the 360's styling is literally timeless- Anyone that sees mine thinks its a new car. I love the F355's styling a little more as i have "Vintage" taste..so i think both offer different criteria and have their pluses and minuses - The ease of maintenance and reliability of the 360 though may propel it a bit more IMO.

8. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I in no way meant to be disrespectful, so sorry if you took it that way. It was more like sarcasm, because just like any predictions about the future I doubt that there are any sure things out there. I personally don't care if any Ferrari ever goes up or down in value, I bought mine to enjoy and keep, and if it goes down in value it will only be cheaper to insure.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Completely agree, I think one needs to own these car because they love them. If they go up great, if they go down doesn't matter.

Graz and sixcarbs like this.
  10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    i cannot comment on investment as I don't have a a crystal ball.

But....

I can say that I have driven just about every single Ferrari since the Lusso. I recently did a F1 to manual conversion on a 2000 360 coupe and I have to say having driven it daily for the past week the car has convinced me it is the best bang for the buck right now.

I never cared much for the looks when released but it has aged very well and I now find the subtle shape attractive. Everyone thinks it's a current model and is wowed by its' presence. Furthermore it is a blast to drive. It doesn't feel as technologically disconnected as say or 458. There is a mechanical simplicity to it that makes it an excellent drivers car. I put a stage 3 Capristo on it with test pipes and I can't help but go around every turn like it's Spa practicing my heel/toe. The AC works, all the right creature comforts and it's incredibly easy to work on. it puts a huge smile on my face every time I get in it. The fact that I can use three pedals and dance with her makes it priceless.

Given their current values you can't go wrong. So much so, I'm adding it to my shortlist.

Just make sure to drive it and not let it sit!!!

Graz, anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    IF, I was to buy a Ferrari, this is what I'd buy.

12. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow, I'd like to know a whole lot more as to why you did the conversion? Did you start a thread about this project? Why didn't you just sell your F1 and buy a manual?

13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I haven't had time to start a thread. I will get to it soon now that I'm wrapping up.

I wanted to do the conversion to see what was involved and to reverse engineer a kit for the future. Some parts are NLA and I have CNC machining capabilities. I developed a complete in house solution identical to what the factory did. Not too mention the manuals are going for a premium and are difficult to find. The conversion costs are cheaper and F1 cars are a dime a dozen.

IMHO the F1 system was great when new but we are looking at nearly 20 year old technology. The manual and F1 transmission are identical with the exception of the actuator. Obviously one use hydraulics and one uses cables but they both change the same gears. Completely different than the modern systems. A F430 is next!

Oh and it was a hell of a lot of fun! :)

mchas, anunakki, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  14. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, please do!!!

Kevin

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have said this way too many times, buy a car that is worth the most to you today, and don't worry about what it will be worth to the next owner. If you want to buy something to look at and hopefully make money in the future, try artworks (I have a painting from some guy I never heard of that I bought for $800 30 years ago was offered 75K for it recently I like it so I said no thanks). The guy who co owns the shop I now use bought that 355 I told everyone about a ways back and he has been rebuilding it since. He only paid 32K for it and (with some help from an old guy) is doing all the work himself. I would take the 360 given the choice not because of what it will be worth but because I like the way it drives better.

16. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Next you need to do a 458 manual conversion.

Robb likes this.
  17. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    If you are looking at potential appreciation, make sure you examine other market examples to be sure you are weighing the important factors; don't taint things with your own opinions, because they don't matter (easier said than done...).

Look at the 911. The faster cars, the more modern cars, the better driving cars, the cars that are less prone to issues... These things have little to no impact on market value. The mention of the Dino above is a perfect example. Lap times, maintenance, even creature comforts; these may be important to an individual, but the market is a different beast.

Between the 355 and 360, my personal prediction (which is coming to you free with a full money-back-guaranty) is the 355. And that is based on what many people have stated here already: the 360 moved the entire V8 line into a new era. The problem with that is, the 360 is then the crappiest version of that new era.

Everything that the 360 did to improve on the 355 - from styling to creature comforts to ergonomics to maintenance to performance - every single bit gets better with the 430, and then the 458 (the 488 started another era because of turbos). So where it may be bang-for-the-buck, it's not a recipe for appreciation.

The 355 has features that are now lost, and it doesn't matter if YOU like them, because the market may decide differently. It is smaller and more delicate and every bit of the car has a different feel and look to the more modern stuff, just like a 246 Dino. There is also nothing in the entire V8 line up that sounds as good, and I believe that the turbo and electric car proliferation will make that more and more important.

My riskiest prediction (and the one I can't defend well) is the F1: I think it is extraordinarily unique, a very different experience from the later systems, which again are plagued by the "the next one is better still" disease. If the market decides the same, then it will be incredibly rare in the grand scheme of things. We will see..

paulchua likes this.
  18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nothing is impossible but that is a monumental task in comparison to a 360. (unless you're building a race car and factory type integration is not a concern)

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Interesting how opinions vary so much here. I guess there really isn't a right answer. For me, I always loved the 355. The 360/430 era was one of the dullest in Ferrari design. I found them downright blah, and very uninspiring. But again, some love it. Design is number one for me, without question.

michaelz, PhilB, DrewH and 1 other person like this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Call me a slut, but the F360 sounds so much better than the F430.

21. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    The CS is the best of the 2000+ models. But I think the 355 would win the best sounding Ferrari V8 of all time contest.

Texas Forever and DrewH like this.
  22. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Funny how previous owners who sold their 355s still think they're so much better than a 360, having never lived with one. The 360 is bullet proof and fairly cheap to maintain.
    I was in the market for a manual 355 spider 4 years ago but the stories about the roof, the engine out maintenance and valve guides were too much to justify the F1 sound. Yeah, I get it. As soon as I drove a manual 360 spider I was sold. However, I still get a softish woody whenever I see a 355.

To me the 355 is like a hooker I'd like to bang but not take to church

MalcQV, KKSBA and Texas Forever like this.
  23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    But why? The 360 five-valve is the same motor, only improved. My car had a Tubi when I bought it, which was WAY too loud for my old man's bones, but it did sound glorious. It's that five-valve snarl, which I4 DOHC four-valves also share, to a lesser extent. With the valved Challenge Stradale exhaust I get the best of both worlds; reasonable SPL tooling around, and Jimmy Crack Corn when you lean into it. :)

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  24. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #74 GerryD, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Im not one to read a lot so I only got through about half the posts in this thread. I have been around these cars for some time and now work no them. I have been known to be very up front with my opinions and I am not a politically correct person. In short the 95 355B is the best investment in the 8 cylinder boys. Yes the 430 manual has done very well and will continue to do so. The 95 (2.7) 355 can easily be tuned to get you over 420 horses and 9000rpm. I have driven many 360 and 355 and simply put the 360 is a tin can (to me) and the 355 is like driving a go-cart. Over 11,000 355s made and over 18,000 360s Anyone interested in the 360 should go for the 430 or get their head examined. If its a simple investment then go for the BB512 as it will be the next model to break a Million bucks. If you want to make a smaller investment then the 95 355B is a good one and fun to drive by far. As for the sound....well that's self explanatory. Just ask anyone.

Mmckee likes this.
  25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't how many of you remember Crystal Cove. But hearing a F360 scream down PCH in the fog, beyond priceless.

KKSBA and mchas like this.