Salchi paint sticker | FerrariChat

Salchi paint sticker

Discussion in '308/328' started by jersey308gtb, Apr 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    Apologies now if it’s been asked 100 times but could not find anything here.. anyone have a source for these Salchi paint stickers? Superformance only have the later ones.

Euro spares have one but it’s a different shape and finish.

Many thanks in advance Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    vaccarella likes this.
  4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Alex. PM me your address and I’ll send you some I have reproduced. Not perfect but better than anything else out there...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

http://308restoration.com/2019/03/reproduction-labels/

Saabguy, VA_Alfa, thorn and 1 other person like this.
  5. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great job, David!

6. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Which is best on a concourse? scruffy and original but exact and new? I ask because mine is scruffy but particularly my windscreen sticker which was removed and reattached.

Sent from my EML-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

i-velocita likes this.
  7. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
  8. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Scruffy and original I expect.

However, my car did not have a sticker when I bought it which is why I remade some. Same with the support rod spool... it was missing from the car and none are available so I made it myself. Finding solutions to NLA parts is one aspect of owning these old cars I actually enjoy.

Andrew McCrae, Rosey and absostone like this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    David I’ll pay you for one but I have no idea where it goes on my car. I’ll snoop sone strictly Ferrari posts to find out though!

10. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    If these are available to the community, I'd be interested in one as well.

My original Salchi label came to me damaged, and I replaced it with a newer yellow Glidden since that was all that I could find back at that time.

No one has ever questioned whether or not the Glidden was correct for the car, but the fact that -I- know that is inaccurate has bothered me ever since!

Thanks - DM

absostone likes this.
  11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    The single field Salchi labels I have redrawn are the correct ones for cars built between November 1978 and when Glasurit took over (1981 or 82 depends on the color).

Between November 1977 and November 1978, the correct label is a two field Salchi label which I don't have but can reproduce if someone gives me the dimensions of the label. It’s more of a square label than the later label.

Before November 1977, the correct label is a two-field Glidden-Salchi label which, again, I can also reproduce if someone gives me the dimensions of the label.

Since a few people seem to want these, I will make another batch. Please PM me your postal addresses if you want some. When they arrive, feel free to paypal me what you think they are worth. Covering at least the postage would be appreciated :)

Regards
    David

P.S. I wrote more on the history of the 308 paint labels here: http://308restoration.com/2019/03/308-paint-labels/

Andrew McCrae likes this.
  12. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Me neither :) Check your user manual... it might just be drawn on a diagram somewhere.

13. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Or Google 308 user manual pdf! There's 2 good sites for most of our cars.
    I assume David you increased the size to match my original. I agree with what you say on scruffy original and NLA. I've been doing a bit lately. I admire your paint label greatly.

Sent from my EML-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Good stuff, thanks! Since mine is a September 1980 build, the above sounds like a match! Just holler once you are ready to roll, and we'll send address and funds info to you.

And, on a related subject, there must be a chart someplace out there on the web which gives the paint color code info, which would have been written on these labels, as a function of the paint color and the build year. Would hate to go to all of the effort to use a correct label, only to bugger it by not knowing the exact and correct color code to be placed upon said new label!

Thanks and Cheers - DM

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    http://www.308-328.com/308/308specstylen.html

Hope this helps. Rgds

16. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
  17. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    That is because the paint codes on 308-328.com are Salchi paint codes. Your label says Italver paint so I presume that code means something in the Italver paint system. Italver were the paint supplier to Ferrari before Glidden Salchi (and long before 308 production)... what it is doing on your car is an interesting mystery... a color change perhaps... a special request/paint to sample perhaps...

What color do you think you car is?

18. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Is there any possibility you could measure the width and height of your label?

19. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
  20. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Salchi’s Ferrari red was called Rosso Chiaro. There was no Rosso Corsa until Glasurit paint was used.

21. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    I call it Silver. the http://www.308-328.com/308/308specstylen.html site calls it "Argento Auteuil."

22. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Andrew, yes I redid the label design using the dimensions you gave me.

Thank you

23. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Pardon the tardiness of my reply. We've been busy. I measured today and found 2 3/8 inches wide by 1 15/16 inches high. The attached photo shows the placement of the sticker on the lid. I have no reason to believe that it isn't the original sticker, the original placement, and the original paint.

BigTex and dflett like this.
  24. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Many thanks. Much appreciated.

Regards
    David

25. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Labels have been posted out to those that gave me their addresses. If anyone else wants some please private message me your details on fchat or contact me via 308restoration.com and I'll send them out. Final version is shown in the photo below (didn't realize it was quite so squint when I put it on)

I'll be attempting to reproduce the two earlier Salchi stickers in the future also.

Regards
    David

lm2504me likes this.