Front License Plate Violation | FerrariChat

Front License Plate Violation

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by JJ97, Apr 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    So I got pulled over yesterday in my new 2019 Portofino for not having a front license plate. I was able to talk my way out of it by saying I had just gotten it and had ordered a non drill front plate holder that hasn't yet arrived. He actually didn't write me a ticket.

I then went home and ordered the non drill bracket. You would think the Chicago PD would have something better to do than harass me about a front license plate, but I digress.

That being said, has anyone every actually gotten a ticket for this? If so is it mandatory to "fix it", like in some states? Or can I just pay a fine and key paying the fines every time I get one? If its 50-75 per ticket, I would probably rather just keeping paying it than mess with the plate?

Anyone have any experience with this?

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Why didn't the car come with a front plate holder? I would think it would be up to the dealer(s) to know what is legal to sell in Illinois. Other manufacturers supply new cars with or without the front plate holder depending on that particular states regulations.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    None of my cars have front plates and I have not been pulled over in 10 years for it. They gave me a warning :) Hope no police are on this forum.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Lots of Ferraris have never even had a front plate mount available.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not sure about there but here it is about toll roads. The cameras take a picture of the front. If there is no plate they cannot collect.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Illinois has both front and back cameras at toll booths.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  7. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Yeah I never got one with my 430 in 4 years. Here in just a month I got one a warning! I guess Gigio Titanium doesn't stand out like Rossa Corsa does ;-)

8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    When I had a 71 fiat 124, I got a ticket for no front plate. It was a chrome bumper car with no bracket. I zip tied a plate on the bumper, took a picture and got it dismissed. I also got a ticket for the “wrong” front plate when they changed plates a few years ago. Changed the plate, took a picture got it dismissed. In my experience, CPD usually has better things to do, but every now and then, a sargent will lean on beat cops to write tickets.

9. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Non-moving violation, no points.. Pay the fine and move on, no need to put on a plate.

Moved from Chicago to Cincinnati, and the good news is Ohio just voted to not require a front plate.. Thank goodness I am now legal, cause I have never had one on any of my cars regardless of state.

Actually a police officer in Cincy told me a few years back, why they like them and why it is mandatory in some states. When parking in a spot in a parking lot, or garage, if you back in and they are doing sweeps for cars, they cannot see the license plates in that case, without getting out of the car and walking behind it. Actually sounded logical to me.. I still did not put one on - I figured if they were looking for a lambo, ferrari or porsche, you really didn't need to see the plates to identify a potential car they are looking for...

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I don't need the harassment nor do I have time to argue with them.
    I got pulled over in my previous F cars for not having front plate, so was my wife.
    Now, she has it on her Lusso and I have one on my Supersports.

Manda racing likes this.
  11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Like Mark I don't need the harassment either so I put a removable plate holder on the front of my Stradale. It takes 30 seconds to remove, but I have had it on there now for five or six years. I remember criticizing a pal of mine who always put a front tag on his Porsches. I was flabbergasted why he would do that, but then he said "I just don't want the hassle from the man." I get that now.

With that said my S-Class rolls without a tag. Same as my wife's E-Class. But they are not Ferrari's and pretty much go unnoticed. Same goes for my vintage cars. No tags but again they seem to go unnoticed or given a pass.

Lastly Illinois legislators have penned several attempts to delete the front plate. One proposal was coined "The Corvette law" but it has continued to be struck down while lobbyist for revenue from the front tag win over & over.

Illinois...

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It would be cheaper for them to charge the same and only make 1 rear plate, but they are not to bright.

Manda racing and Michael B like this.
  13. V8Fun

V8Fun Karting

Aug 16, 2010
    Chicago West Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I also have no front plate on any of my cars and have never had a problem. I do have a temporary setup to affix a front plate when I go into Chicago as I know the parking police do care, and especially when parking a car at the airport (not my Ferrari, but still no front plate). But I've been pulled over in multiple suburbs and by state police, and none have mentioned the fact my front plate is missing.

14. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Bought an inexpensive bracket that attaches to the tow thread. Never had to use it but if stopped I can screw it on in less than a minute. Never had to yet. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    One of the few benefits of living in Illinois is when you get antique plates. With valid antique plates in the vehicle’s trunk, you can put on any plate that is representative of the vehicle on the car. So for my 87 328 I had plates made that were 1987 Florida that just had 1987 on them (car was first plated in Florida) and no front plate.

I was stopped for going 10 MPH over the limit 60 in a 50 zone. When the office came to the car he said we have a problem, that plate does not belong with that car. I said because it is not a real plate. I could tell the office thought, now what. I asked to get out of the car and went to the boot. Gave the officer the antique plates, registration, insurance and copy of the state statute. By than another officer pulled up.

The first officer ran the plates, everything was in order and I had a clean record. He read the law and said, Damn I Never Knew This Was Legal! We talked for a bit, showed both my car. He gave me a warning for the speeding and they drove away.

16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don’t have front plates on any of my cars and never been pulled over but the meter maids are all over no front plate, especially in some communities but generally only with a parking violation. So in those areas I try to use off street parking.

17. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I have an older Ferrari for 40+ years. I never had a front plate and never got pulled over for this violation. However, the day I bought my car (private sale), I did get stopped for no plates. I had the bill of sale, and the cop let me me go without a ticket.

18. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    I would guess that 99.999999% of the time, if you find yourself getting pulled over for a front plate violation, the officer is looking for more than that. I believe it's called 'proactive enforcement' where the officer is just looking for probable cause to pull you over and MAYBE strike it big with other, more serious violations.

That said, I had a 2009 Challenger R/T and was pulled over probably 4-5 times for not having a front plate. Everytime, I had everything in order and never got a ticket! I'll also mention that each time I was pulled over, it was in the later hours of the night.

19. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    I think that was what he was doing. He wanted to run my info, make sure it wasn't stolen and perhaps just get a closer look at the car.

Ironically, he recorded the stop with his body camera. Maybe he wants to replay it to his PD buddies...

20. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I think they always are on, at least from what I have been told due to protection/legal, etc. Both car and body cams are now constantly running...

21. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    Both of our cars (purchased in a state that requires plates) were front-plateless from the dealer.

The first time it happened I was told, "your front license plate is in the trunk." I asked them why they didn't install it, and they said that most of their customers don't want it mounted. I shrugged and figured I'd enjoy not having a plate.

Fast forward a year to our next car purchase, and I asked if they automatically install the front plates (different dealer) and was also told no. They put the plate inside the trunk for me.

At freeway speeds, police aren't likely to notice unless they're looking for a reason to specifically pull you over. Around town, I've found that a smile and a wave at the police keeps you out of trouble -- it's also a nice way to brighten their day.

Several years ago, I did get pulled over when I wasn't running a front plate, but the officer didn't write me up for that. Instead, he wrote me up for speeding because I sort of passed him on the right going over 90mph. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but he only wrote me up for 80mph, which was nice.

22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Yes, and only in Chicago. $60 ticket. And I'll pay it again if I have to.

There is absolutely -0- need for a front plate. I mean seriously, when was the last time you saw a get away car driving in reverse?

:eek:

23. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Rarely have a front plate on my cars and have never been pulled over. I have gotten them by meter maids in the city though.

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  25. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Got pulled over by a local cop in my own neighborhood, not for anything else than a front plate. Total ********.