Recall on Fuel Vapor Separator for 488 | FerrariChat

Recall on Fuel Vapor Separator for 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ca_scud, Apr 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Hi Friends,
    Just got a recall notice for my '18 488 GTB. Has anyone had this done already or know more background about it?

"Fuel Vapor Separator, which, due to a manufacturing defect, may allow a small fuel leak, potentially causing smoke and/or fire".

It sounds like it affects nearly the entire model range, all 488 versions including the Pista, all the v12s: Lusso, 812, LaFerrari.

The "smoke and/or fire" bit sure got my attention.

2. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    yep- I had mine done last week ('18 488 spider)- guys at the dealer said it was a small job and needs 1.3 hours of mechanics time-free of charge ,of course!
    As with most recalls the sequelae are an unlikely event but I guess our insurers may not be keen to settle should we ignore the recall and the car go up in smoke.

ca_scud likes this.
  3. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Thanks bobhitch!
    Glad it's not a big service

4. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    It caused two warranty visits to the dealership. The leak was not found with the first visit but the second one displayed the leak. Fixed last summer and not check engine lights since.

5. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    My notice which I got today said 45 days before the dealer gets the parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Got my notice today, just out of curiosity called my service writer this morning and he told me my car was not on the list then when I came home I found the recall notice, I read on one of the columns that the whole dash has to be removed in order to replace fuel vapor separator,can someone confirm if that’s the case?thx

7. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    I tried to get an appointment scheduled and my dealer said they had no record of it either (only had the airbag recall listed)
    Perhaps it’ll take a couple weeks before it shows up in their systems since they aren’t getting the parts for a while?

8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I also received that tidbit of information in the mail today. Oh well... another trip to the dealer.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Interested if you have any info on the V12s and LaF. The Laf goes back to 2013.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx for this info !

ca_scud likes this.
  11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I could not find the part in my WSM 458 at first but in there it is written as Fuel Vapour Separator … and showed this (458) …

So it is not located in the dashbord ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Thanks a lot for your time &info,I guess some people post without facts!

13. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Good to know, and far more logical. (Why would a "fuel" vapor separator be located anywhere near the dashboard? Made no sense....I wonder if they confused it with the airbag recall?o_O)

Jim

Viperjoe likes this.
  14. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Typical Ferrari, my 812 (United States) got the same recall notice yesterday. As noted above could cause a fire. The. Ferrari states we won’t have parts for at least 45 days. Dealer had no idea about the recall.

So let me put this out there: Ferrari has not said you should not drive the car so what happens if before Ferrari has the parts to fix the recall one of these cars starts on fire? Who is liable? Any lawyers want to weigh in?

15. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    It’s called insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Sorry should have clarified. Only the Aperta LaF was mentioned. Both the Lusso and the 812 were listed as well. When I get home, I can double check the list.

Solid State likes this.
  17. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Received the fuel vapor recall notice today. 2018 488 GTB.

18. Shoffman

Shoffman Karting

Mar 26, 2015
    Just received fuel vapor recall notice on my 2018 488 Spider. Bummer because car was just in the shop for maintenance and airbag recall. I had raised the FVS recall as well and they told me that my car wasn’t under the recall and no fix necessary; yeah right!! Only question to the group is whether you guys are continuing to drive the affected cars until the replacement part is available? Makes no sense to me that they send out these recall notices before the parts are available (45 days or possibly longer) and they leave it up to their loyal customers to decide what to do in the interim. Would have expected a lot more from a company whose average car price is $400-500k!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app