Novitec Ferrari Portofino will upgrades void factory warranty | FerrariChat

Novitec Ferrari Portofino will upgrades void factory warranty

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by LucasFerrari, Apr 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    Hello my friends I am attaching the price sheet for the Novitec Portofino upgrades . Do any of you know if upgrading the exhaust and/ or CPU could void the warranty ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NZCREW likes this.
  2. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    I’m also interested to know... Anyone installed and know the answer?

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    When it doubt, do an actual dry run and ask your dealer if he and the factory will still honour the factory warranties. You have nothing to lose by asking.

4. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I had a Capristo exhaust fitted to my Ferrari California.

Initially, I spoke to my local dealer who said it would effect the warranty. However, I then wrote to Ferrari North Europe and had a subsequent phone call whereby the exhaust could be changed under the proviso that it was put back to stock when I sold the car. The change would not effect the warranty. Apparently a note was put on my cars record confirming the agreement.

The dealer then rang me and from not wanting to have anything to do with the exhaust change they agreed to fit the new Capristo exhaust for me.

Before selling the car I got the dealer to change the exhaust back to stock as agreed and was able to sell the Capristo exhaust on.

I'm sure an ECU 'upgrade' would not be accepted.

RamsHmb likes this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Goes without saying.

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Why in the world are Novitec still messing around with piggy back ecu's when you can just reflash the original Bosch ecu's which results in better control and performance but requires no splicing of looms, no extra hardware and can be done directly over OBD with the right investment (and reverted).

Piggyback add on ecu's are trying to manipulate the signals and trick the original ecu's to do something different, in complex ecu's of these days this isn't the best idea, in fact its daft it may even be dangerous under some circumstances. No way would I put it on my car...

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Over the years I have used every type of tune there is. Having my ECU reflashed by someone else (who stores my original without having the ability to covert back to stock myself), is the one thing I will never do again. I prefer having a handheld that stores the tune and the original file allowing me to switch back and forth, which I have on a few of my cars. I have never had issues with piggybacks, and the newer ECU's are not always that easy to work with, example being the new Porsche ECU must be unlocked before they can be tuned, and not every tuner will do that. I have a piggy back (it was made in Germany by Novitec or whoever does their tunes) that can be controlled by an app on my phone (I can shut it off if need be). on my California T. Not something I was looking for but it was a package deal with the Capristo exhaust. There are still many tuner that use piggy backs (Dinan has gone back to piggy backs from ECU tuning), and I had both a piggy back and a spare tuned ECU for my 4C, I was not able to tell the difference between the two. Everyone has their own opinions, but my advise (this is coming from someone who has tuned over 500 cars), talk to your dealers service department manager after you become their pal (bring lunch in for the staff, and nice bottle of at least 18 year old single malt), they are the ones who will determine what warranty is. I have never been denied a warranty claim on any car (that I did totally rebuild and never bring back to the dealer), and everyone in the service departments know me by name.

jenoi and LucasFerrari like this.
  8. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    Thanks for the advise .

9. RAYMOND SCHUMACHER

May 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    RAYMOND SCHUMACHER
    I was going to purchase the Novitec exhaust for my Portifino but I cannot get anyone except Novitec to confirm that I will not get check engine lights from it. I have used Tubis and Akrapovik on my Californias and 488/458 cars and never had errors. I need to do something because it is just too quiet but they are afraid to even weld the flaps open because of what Ferrari did with this exhaust. Has anyone purchased the Novitec exhaust yet?

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I will add one thing, I don't care about warranties, most of my cars never go back to the dealer for anything. I handle things myself. With that said I would be careful with doing things that will effect the engine, (like tunes), since when things do go wrong they can go wrong in a big way. Some newer ECU's need to be unlocked before they can be tuned (which is why you will not find a lot of tuners willing to touch newer Porsche's) Dinan went back to piggybacks because the ECU's coding was getting more and more complicated, Burger also uses piggybacks because of that. I have had to reset my T and clear out codes because I found out you need to go into the app and turn off the piggyback before you shut the car down. I did a transmission flash in my Maserati and in the AMG GTS, that made a big difference (I cant say for sure the shift times are 28% faster), and the faster the car changes gears the faster it feels. I may try it in the T as well. Like I said I don't care about warranty, but most people should and do.

11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If you change the cat downpipes, then you run the risk of a check engine light. Any other exhaust part won’t risk a CEL. With 200 cell cats the risk of CEL is very low, and you can turn it off whenever it comes on. Try BigDaddy’s Garage o2 minicats which can further reduce the likeliness of CEL.

The above doesn’t apply to Novitec only. It’s with all exhausts. With a turbo engine, if you don’t alter the cat downpipes, you will see only minor changes to the sound.

12. Ann

Ann Rookie

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Peter DiSalvo
    Is it possible to replace the cpu chip with a portofino m chip?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I am doing the capristo exhaust in my GTS and Ferrari is installing (dealer)…was told it will not void warranty and it won’t cause a check engine light. It will delete the GPF which is ok here in the states. As others have said, ECU is a whole different deal and I would assume a hard no.