458 Exhaust Valve Controller | FerrariChat

458 Exhaust Valve Controller

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Baptist, Apr 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Bit of a strange one, see if anyone can help me fathom this.

So I fitted the Kline wireless controller along with Novitec exhaust and decat pipes.

Car sounds tremendous.

What I am finding is, that with the controller active and the valves open, the valves will open, but they are still closing in certain scenarios, which I dont understand.
    For example, if i rev the car from idle, the valves are open with the controller active, as the revs are falling the valves will close, then reopen of their own accord.
    Another one is between approx 3-4.5k RPM, when downshifting, the valves will close for a period, then re-open.

I cant work out how the car is still controlling the valves, as the Kline unit is working, its just not keeping them open all the time?

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The valves operate on vacuum, but motors don't always produce vacuum. As such, I believe Ferrari uses some sort of vacuum reservoir. I could be mistaken, but I thought I ran across this same place. Anyway, as I remember the electronic solenoid is in charge if sending vacuum to the valves or venting it away - perhaps a solenoid is malfunctioning and allowing engine vacuum to directly affect the valves? Usually, on a motor, when you take your foot off the gas, it produces vacuum (since the throttle body plate is shut); this would result in vacuum which the valves need in order to close.

This is also why just plugging the hoses causes the valves to remain open (i.e. no vacuum).

Sounds to me like the electrical solenoids are stuck open and the vacuum is operating directly on the valves perhaps.

Ray

3. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Hi Ray, thanks for that detailed reply, makes sense.
    The bit thats got me really puzzled is, that when the controller is in the on position (valves open full time), they are open at idle and cruising, except for a delay after startup and as described above, when you rev are coming down the revs (off throttle or revving).
    i'll get a few new solenoids for when i remove the bumper to access and check whats going on.