Gateway plasma tv's | FerrariChat

Gateway plasma tv's

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Juice It, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just looking for a slim tv to hang on the wall in my office(not my home theater) and ran across an add for $2999.00 46 inch plasma tv's at gateway computer stores. Went to BestBuy yesterday and even the no name brands are way more. Are these tv's junk or decent for the buck?

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I looked into these before and from what I've heard, they are not good quality units.

Then again, for an office that may be fine.

I'm sure one of the videophiles will chime in. The comments I heard were on an enthusiast site and it was in comparison to some of the top-notch units out there.

3. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I would like to hear from anybodt "in the know". Which are the best names.

4. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
  5. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    this tv is NOT HD. this is one reason why the price is low.

6. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Check this out: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/gateway-plasmatvreview.html

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Wasn't there a flat sceen sponser on is board? I can't remember who it was.

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    There was a sponsor here, but I think he is gone.

JeffM, there is a thread in the archives on the Gateway Plasma unit. From what I remember it is a rebadged unit from Sampo. Have not heard good things about them.

Prugna, I like the Pioneer Elite series Plasma TV. We use a 50 inch in the office.

9. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ok, just got back from Gateway and picked up a 42 inch. Didn't really do any research because it is just going in my office but for 3 grand it has a fine picture for me. I will report when I get it up and running.

10. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Go for the 40" Panasonic, much better for EDTV (NOT HDTV!!!), OR if you can tolerate lower size, 30" LCD (Sharp Aquos) (or is it 32") are the best out there!!!

11. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX
    Gateway plasmas are garbage. They are in fact rebadged sampos. Your best bet for the price range is a 42" panasonic ED. The TH-42PA20U, which I have is awesome. The TH-PWD6UY is a bit cheaper too, and is also great. I would stay away from Gateway, imho.

12. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Guess it's a mute point now that Jeff is busy hanging a Gateway on the wall of his office, but there are good deals on FPD's at several reputable on-line dealers such as chicagodigital.com (no conection, bla, bla bla)

13. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

As Norm says, its a moot point at this time but since it is just in my office and not a home theater it is just fine for me. The Panasonic you mentioned was another 800.00 anyway and for this room, not worth it.

14. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX
    Jeff, I apologize if my post was rather crude and offensive. I can understand that the TV is for your office, but for $50 you could have purchased a TV that was LEAPS and BOUNDS better than your Gateway. Pac-2000 is a very reputable dealer to purchase TVs from.

http://www.pac-2000.com/th-42pwd4uy.html

That is the specific model I was referring to. The only downside is that you need to have some form of external speakers, otherwise it's an amazing TV.

The guys at AVSFORUM are amazing in terms of knowledge regarding TVs and installation of them as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php

Enjoy the new plasma :)

15. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    The Gateway Plamsa units are NOT HDTV.

They use a resolution of 480p (480 lines, progressive scan), which is "Enhanced Definition TV" or EDTV, as opposted to true HDTV, which supports even higher resolutions such as 720p (720 lines, progressive scan) and 1080i (1080 lines, interlaced).

I don't know about the quality of them, as I've never seen one in person. They may actually be great for what you want, but just be aware that they are not the same thing as, say, the Pioneer Plasmas or Samsung LCDs.

16. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The Gateway TV I bought is not HD but they do have them as well. You guys are correct, it is not the best unit available but it isn't my home theater tv, it is just a tv in my office that will save me some space and I can watch a little tv when I feel like it. I thought for 3k it was a nice unit for that purpose. I like the Panasonic Amir posted about but once you add on the speakers and stand and shipping it was about 800 more. Being impatient I wanted to pick it up while I was at the store and in the mood. I know some of you know how that goes!

17. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I am not, and never have been, happy with the quality provided by a plasma screen.

Pioneers are the best of the technology, I like the 503CMX.

My advice is to wait for LCD. 37" now, and the quality absolutely slays plasma.

My Home Theater is a front projection 9" 3-gun, still the best, after all these years.

Appologies, and yes, a Subaru will get you around just fine. But this IS Ferrari Chat after all, where you come to expect the best.