What Rosso for a Pista? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What Rosso for a Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bmill, Apr 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I went through the same thought process while at the Atelier, with the same ideas as you. Wanted a metallic red for the Pista but not the 30k price tag! Anyway, my thoughts......

Rosso Corsa Metallica was not enough difference to warrant the up charge 12k it undoubtedly has more depth but is a single flake silver metallic and only marginally added to the line characteristics, which to me is what makes metallics standout.

Rosso Fiorano 12k is a beautiful color but it is a wine burgundy with silver/purple flake think metallic mugello. I wanted to love it as I thought it would be cool to have the Pista in the track name color. It has some angles in direct sunlight that make it appear red but shadow or vertical surfaces ie:sides look Maroon.

Rosso Portofino 12k is the most red of this tier metallic but I have heard and read multiple concerns or production delays based on this paint and not sure why. It is a great Red if you can look past whatever difficulties it has had.

Rosso Fuoco is stunning very red, high depth, excellent contrast of surface creases, heavy gold flake and if selecting gold wheels would be an ideal choice but 28k

Rosso Maranello is as stunning as Fuoco with similar qualities but heavy silver flake and would pair very well with Silver or Grigio wheels again at 28k

Rosso Coburn to my eye is spectacular and the most candy red of all of them and I feel on another level but I never heard a definitive price for it. I know it is at least on 28k level but was also told it could be as high as 50k. It is a WOW color though! If you can look past the price the paint is a show stopper.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spyderman, jd2, 96redLT4 and 3 others like this.
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Candy red you say? Rosso Coburn FTW!

3. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    [what color did you go with?

QUOTE="Dadr, post: 146579247, member: 126001"]I went through the same thought process while at the Atelier, with the same ideas as you. Wanted a metallic red for the Pista but not the 30k price tag! Anyway, my thoughts......

Rosso Corsa Metallica was not enough difference to warrant the up charge 12k it undoubtedly has more depth but is a single flake silver metallic and only marginally added to the line characteristics, which to me is what makes metallics standout.

Rosso Fiorano 12k is a beautiful color but it is a wine burgundy with silver/purple flake think metallic mugello. I wanted to love it as I thought it would be cool to have the Pista in the track name color. It has some angles in direct sunlight that make it appear red but shadow or vertical surfaces ie:sides look Maroon.

Rosso Portofino 12k is the most red of this tier metallic but I have heard and read multiple concerns or production delays based on this paint and not sure why. It is a great Red if you can look past whatever difficulties it has had.

Rosso Fuoco is stunning very red, high depth, excellent contrast of surface creases, heavy gold flake and if selecting gold wheels would be an ideal choice but 28k

Rosso Maranello is as stunning as Fuoco with similar qualities but heavy silver flake and would pair very well with Silver or Grigio wheels again at 28k

Rosso Coburn to my eye is spectacular and the most candy red of all of them and I feel on another level but I never heard a definitive price for it. I know it is at least on 28k level but was also told it could be as high as 50k. It is a WOW color though! If you can look past the price the paint is a show stopper.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bmill likes this.
  4. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I did mine in Rosso F1 2007

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

HardTen and Shadowfax like this.
  5. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I went through the red mental process. Agree with others, RC Metallic is not worth it. Will just look like another Red. Agree that Fiorano is a darker red. Haven't seen Rosso Portofino so no help there. I saw a couple Rosso Maranello cars and the best way I can describe it is like liquid silver underneath a candy red coating. It is really beautiful in the sun but still looks like a real red. The metallic is like fine silver balls rather than the large gold flakes of Fuoco. Very wet looking. I was very strongly considering. Here are two F12s in Rosso Maranello and one pic with Rosso Corsa of a Testarossa in the background. No contest your honor. Now Coburn, I have never seen but the pics of that do look awesome. BTW, I was told Maranello and Coburn were both 28k paints. In the end, I chickened out and went for Abu Dhabi Blu because I had a great idea for the interior and I just love that color too. The difference in price 'almost' paid for the exterior carbon...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Oh my, R Maranello is lovely
    It was on my short list but then I convinced myself RC was classic and I want classic.
    But liquid silver with candy red? Yes please.
    Now I’m strongly considering, again, going the 3L route

Anyone have thoughts on a stripe that would compliment Maranello? I was planning BA/AN/BA for RC.

7. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    #32 johnr265, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    I think the stock stripe works nicely with the fine grained Argento and the Blue America being a subtle dark metallic blue. I tried to simulate in this pic here. My personal bias is I prefer AN/BA/AN but you have to go with your gut. I think because it is a little darker red, you get nicer contrast going with the lighter color first.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, Shadowfax and C50 like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    While the color will most singularly define the aesthetic of a car, I can understand the resistance to spending 30K extra for somewghing offered for free. I will dine at an overly expensive restaurant without hesitation if the food is special, but I still get annoyed when I am charged $5 for a small glass of club soda.

rocketman and C50 like this.
  9. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Does anyone know the status of the “issues” with the Rosso Portofino paint? I’m Off to search the forum for answers, but if some has the quick answer ora link I would greatly appreciate it. Clearly it has made the cut Onto the final found.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree keep to the stock AN/BA/AN, the double black or, the double AN.

11. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    of2worlds and stavura like this.
  12. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I have a similar post in the 812 section, where I was between Rosso Maranello, Fuoco, and Coburn. Ended up going with Maranello, because I we couldn’t get the info to make a sample of the Coburn. It looks amazing in pictures, but it’s a lot of money to spend on something based on pictures that don’t really capture the live color. Excited to see how it looks in Rosso Maranello and this thread is helping me think I made the correct choice!

of2worlds likes this.
  13. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
  14. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Apparently, you can have a body shop spray a sample of the paints using the paint codes and it should be pretty much the same, even for the triple layer. They are standard paint codes. I almost did that but then wanted to finalize my spec before they got back to me.

15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I did this to see the Maranello option, as my dealer had a sample of Fuoco, but the codes we had for Coburn weren’t working. It’s fine, as Maranello seems very unique and deep.

16. LandandcarsAZ

LandandcarsAZ Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    johnr265, Lagunae92 and of2worlds like this.
  17. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I don't know how much of a help would that be, but here is my Rosso Fiorano 458 near my friend's Rosso Corsa 458 and also another friend's Rosso Corsa 488.

Attached Files:

johnr265 and of2worlds like this.
  18. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    That 458 looks Rossa Scuderia instead of Rossa Corsa in that light.

elt360 likes this.
  19. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Yes, it does, but it's actually RC. That's actually the problem with these pictures of colors - the same color looks different almost on every pic.

of2worlds likes this.
  20. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    When I asked for paint codes, this is what I got. Similar Coburn code to what you tried? Did your Maranello sample look the same as Ferrari's actual paint?

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I went RCM . Yes subjective, Is it really that obviously different ? well no but , I am a resin chemist and work closely with enough brands. The issue I have with red and particular RC no matter how shiny and new the paint is at angles it is flat because its a solid colour.

The RCM no matter what angle you look at the car its always shiny. For me was well worth the extra cost and down here 20 K.

stavura, of2worlds, Bmill and 2 others like this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree the RCM does hold the edge over the RC even if not by any sufficiently noticeable difference and therein lays the big problem for most in spending the extra 22K to have it. The fuoco is 45K so in many ways is even more prohibitive but you are getting a triple layer and a red with a noticeable difference. Same with the other triple reds.

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Being in this field for the past 37 years the hardest decision when finally realising I am going to buy a Ferrari was I wanted RC but saw so many cars in RC that had flat spots all over the place. The RMC was the fix for me . Still RC but with depth and no flat spots. So yes ridiculously dear but looks great and shines in any angle

of2worlds likes this.
  24. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Thank you for the photo’s.
    You are right, most all the Rosso’s are difficult to show the true color in a photo the resolution we can post on the forum.

25. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal

I'm not sure. It looks different than what I had found on the forum as far as the PPG# goes. As far as the sample they made for me goes, I haven't seen a Rosso Maranello in person, but it should be close. I preferred it to the Ferrari wall sample of Fuoco and that was on a piece of metal.

johnr265 likes this.