599 ECU Communication Issue | FerrariChat

599 ECU Communication Issue

Discussion in '612/599' started by KJF127, Apr 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KJF127

KJF127 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2017
    North Salem, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hi, I brought my recently purchased 599 in for its service and at the last step, my mechanic, who services 3 other 599s and was highly recommended by one of them, connected his shop’s computer to the car to reset the green wrench service reminder. This is where the problem began. His computer was unable to reset the reminder, unable to read many of the standard codes (e.g. TPMS), and now the car has an air bag failure error message.

His theory, as well as the shop’s owner and the other mechanics, is that the car’s computer was previously flash upgraded. They tried different configurations of their computer, called the manufacturer of their computer for assistance and upgraded it, and also tried the computer from their friend that also repairs Ferraris - all to no avail.

I was able to confirm that the car’s computer was flash upgraded by the first owner’s Ferrari dealership in July of 2008. My mechanic needs to know which codes/configuration to set the shop’s computer to so it can interface with my car properly. Aside from the flash upgrade and a secondary cat bypass pipe, everything else is stock

I’ve attached a copy of the 599’s Bosch Motronic ECU software upgrade service record from the first owner.

Thanks for any advice and help.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. KJF127

KJF127 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2017
    North Salem, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    As it turns out, the issue was with my mechanic’s computer. They were servicing another 599 and the same thing happened. They bought a new computer, connected it and all issues were resolved. They also confirmed that since my 599’s computer was upgraded by a Ferrari dealership, it still meets the factory’s specs. Kevin

George Vosburgh likes this.
  3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There are multiple computer ECU's in your 599 (probably close to 15 different discrete units). Just because the Motronic (engine control) ECUs were reflashed, it would have no effect on any of the other ECUs in the car. The service reminder is stored in the instrument cluster ECU. Your shop should have known that they were have an issue with their diagnostic computer if there were communication errors with the other ECU's in the car.

The ECU's do communicate with the diagnostic computer and each other over CAN lines, so sometimes it is possible that a defective ECU can cause communication errors if it has issues with its CAN network connections.

Makuono and KJF127 like this.
  4. KJF127

KJF127 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2017
    North Salem, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Agreed. I'm happy that they were able to figure out the problem and make good on the issue.