FORMULA 1 SOCAR AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 17 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 SOCAR AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Apr 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

As I posted this week - Ferrari must focus on winning, not Vettel. Either driver is ultimately expendable in the process. Winning is all that matters for the organization. Fix that then worry about the WDC.

2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If Leclerc had been brought in for softs at the same time the Mercedes went in for mediums, Leclerc could have come out in front and been fast enough to build a lead to come in for a second set of softs, while everyone else would be on tired mediums. Leclerc's speed in FP3 and Q1 showed that he could comfortably beat the Mercedes. A two stop race would have given him the tires to do it. Vettel isn't dead meat...yet...but he sure isn't smelling fresh. Its up to him to turn it around. And it is up to the Team to rise to Leclerc's level and give him priority over Vettel in all matters. There is no magic bullet out there that can be brought into the team and instantly fix the team. It is up to the people already on the team to do the job better. If they don't, Ferrari could be fighting for fourth next year...and without Leclerc. I think Mercedes and Red Bull would be happy to put him in their cars and if their own drivers didn't like it they could pound sand.

Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I didn't watch the race, but let me make a wild prediction here...

An easy Mercedes 1-2. Ferrari botched Leclerc's strategy so Seb could get ahead and in the end that backfired on both of them and Verstappen took the last spot on the podium?

Going to see how close I am right now...

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Oh wow, Leclerc stuck it in the wall for qualy and started P9. Did that spice up the race enough to make it worth watching?

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You are correct.

They had a 13 second lead, near 14. After 3 laps Bottas started to hone in on Leclerc at a rate of a second a lap. They let this go on for so long, Leclerc was eventually 7 seconds behind Bottas (and the rest....). A pitstop! They threw away the time of a pitstop! They should've boxed him (had a 3 lap window), thrown on supers, get Vettel to move over, pass Lewis (long straight on this track and DRS being mega effective), pass Bottas, and when the tyres show the first sign of getting near their limit, box for fresh set of mediums....he wouldn't be more than 8 seconds behind the pack after that stop.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I read in GPToday that Helmut Marko still thinks Verstappen will be WDC this year !

7. DF1

H-Mut is no longer a rational authority lol

8. DF1

https://www.planetf1.com/news/vettel-lacked-confidence-and-consistency-in-baku/

Sebastian Vettel gave an honest assessment of his performance at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, saying he lacked confidence and consistency in his Ferrari car.

Vettel finished on the last step of the podium for the second consecutive race but has lost more ground in the World Championship battle with Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton combining for yet another 1-2 finish.

The German was unable to make any real impression on the Silver Arrows throughout the race in Baku and settled for a rather low-key P3 finish.

Vettel admitted afterwards that he is not having the best of times in the SF90 and has already labelled Mercedes the favourites to win the next round in Spain.

“The first stint was really poor,” Vettel conceded in the on-track interviews after the race.

“I really struggled to initially get the tyres to work. I think they were too cold and I damaged them and by the time they were hot they were damaged.

“I was really uncomfortable, inconsistent and couldn’t get a feel or confidence in the car. After that I was already looking forward to a difficult stint on the medium tyres but had no problem switching them on.

Once again where we didn't want to be. Great team effort in a hard race, also our guys did a super job. #Seb5 #Charles16 #SF90 #essereFerrari #AzerbaijanGP pic.twitter.com/M2rvuS62hd

— Scuderia Ferrari (@ScuderiaFerrari) April 28, 2019

“I think we had some pace to at least go with Mercedes and sometimes put some pressure on. It was crucial to keep third, crucial for Charles to get the fastest lap and snatch it away from the Mercedes boys.

“Still plenty of work for us to do but we need to maximise what we can.

“The last four races we were quite there so we’re not the favourites going into Barcelona we have some upgrades coming and we need to chase them down.”

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 the 3.5 liter formula, I emphatically agree.

Jeronimo GTO, Jakuzzi and 05011994 like this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not so much defeated but resigned to his fate.

william likes this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Yes they did. To be fair given the incidents in practice and qualifying it was reasonable to assume that there would be at least one safety car period. Everyone kept it off the walls today.

12. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Bottas has Lewis' measure on Saturday and Sunday. However, let's not get too carried away. Bottas pipped him to pole by a whopping 0.059 secs (mainly because he benefitted from being in the slipstream on that final Q3 flier). And then on Sunday when he got the off the line slightly better, Lewis could've easily been far more aggressive and assertive (i.e. done Valtteri dirty by leaning on him far harder exiting Turn 1).

In this case, maturity and self-restraint prevailed - - Lewis saw the bigger team picture and didn't want to bin one (or both) of them, etc. Perhaps Lewis and Valtteri had a gentlemen's agreement in advance regarding just how far to take it during that very early phase of the race?

Surfah, Nuvolari and william like this.
  13. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The supers didn't work, when leclerc put them on he actually fell further behind the leaders, so if he'd done it sooner he would have been right where he ended up, if not further back without a gap to bolt on a fresh set and go for fastest lap. That strategy might have worked with another set of mediums, but not softs.

Leclerc's mistake in q2 is exactly why they put their eggs in Vettel's basket. Further, neither of the ferraris could make the softs work in the race. Leclerc could only manage a lap a second faster on fresh softs vs the leaders on 30 lap old mediums. Fresh mediums would have been worth more than that, the ferraris just couldn't make the softs work at all.

P.Singhof likes this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Vettel is giving up already.
    He speaks like a defeated man.

15. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Good job by Bottas, shows how superior the Mercedes really has been all year other than Bahrain. Does anyone else want to see some other drivers in Mercedes so that we can see how much of it has been the car since 2014. I know Max would excel having such a plum opportunity, must be nice knowing you really only need to beat your teammate for all of these years.

stavura, fil and 375+ like this.
  16. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Best post ever on fchat

DF1 likes this.
  17. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This reminds me of my post after Ric was bragging about “revolutionizing for f1” with his passing capabilities.

Once again he shows it just doesn’t pay to put yourself over at every chance you get.

william and Nortonious like this.
  18. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  19. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I believe your words with the following pic were something to the effect of:

"Ah yes, I see that now"

Still chuckling. Which is good, because after Baku I need a few laughs. Image Unavailable, Please Login

In fact, if any Tifosi are going to be in Costa Rica (Tamarindo area) this week, speak up. I'll be trying to bake and soak the memory of this race out of my head on the beach.

Bas likes this.
  20. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    This season so far is very easy to explain. Mercedes does not do everything right but they do nothing wrong. Ferrari does nothing right and everything wrong

Bas and william like this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Yet another Annus horribilis ...Vettel looking like 45 already, time to bow out please don't make us suffer yet another year.

22. DF1

Summary of Ferrari this season after this race by Damon-

"They are very good at proving they've got the pace when it doesn't count - that's the problem," suggested 1996 world champion Damon Hill.

william likes this.
  23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ocon must be wondering what the future holds,maybe MB will cut him loose and he can jump into RBR?

24. DF1

Ocon has no future at MB. Maybe Williams. Renault or HAAS?

fil likes this.
  25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Unless Bottas crumbles later this year ,which i think is unlikely.Renault should already have happened so yes he could replace the Hulk.The wheels are probably already turning behind closed doors.