Fear not the seat pot (potentiometer) How to rebuild one without removing it. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fear not the seat pot (potentiometer) How to rebuild one without removing it.

Discussion in '348/355' started by roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If the pot is broken that is not going to put it where it needs to be.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think it also need to have SD1 to program. Do SD2 and SD3 not able to program these seat pots?

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Of the 3 only SD1. And those are getting rare even in the dealers.

4. nileseh

nileseh Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    The seat position potentiometer/gear box is the same component used in mid 90's Jaguar sedans. I have a 1996 XJ12 that experienced failure of the drive coupling as described. here. I opened it up, modeled the coupling and 3D printed replacements from ABS plastic. It's a bit stronger than the original nylon, using a .005" resolution and modifying the print configuration for increased density makes a pretty good part. The original spring clip can be reused or a small o-ring will work as well to hold the petals against the ball on the gearbox output. The original ones I made were a bit rough (I hadn't refined the printing) but they've been in service for 3-4 years with out problems so far.

If there is interest I'll figure a way to make them available for about $7.50 each. I sent some to a guy in Australia with a 355 the other day to try out. He already had someone else who wanted some but I have yet to come up with a way to sell them. I may put them for sale on eBay to see how that works. That may be the easiest.

spiderscott, Challenge, emac and 3 others like this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good luck with the sales, Niles. As you have discovered, unlike the Jaguar potentiometer, the F355 potentiometer is a vital part of roof operation. Your 3D printed sockets will take away some of the "terror" of not being able to find a fix for our roof problems :D

6. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Really great that you have achieved this.

Thanks Qavion for adding this link to my roof repair thread. Nileseh, if you put these up for sale on ebay or somewhere, let me know the link and i'll add it on my Spider roof repair YouTube video.

7. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I fixed my mine by installing a roll pin through the sphere as shown on this site, but if you are going to offer new improved ones, I'd be interested.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Does the roll pin method allow slip at the potentiometer end stops? I think the idea behind the "limited slip" ball and socket is to stop the potentiometer breaking if the seat moves too far in a particular direction.

9. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I can't see how it would allow any "slippage", but I have not yet had any problems and I did that fix 3 yrs ago.

Qavion likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Gizzi, ernie and Robb like this.
  11. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Has anyone detailed how to remove the seats and the actual process i,e what position to have the seat in before you remove it (if that matters) and how to actually meter out the new pot to ensure its at the right value?

I am struggling to understand how you set it up. I get that you need to see a certain resistance but how do you actually go about doing that? Do you do this with the seat off its track? Do you measure the value at a known point before you remove the seat and then ensure the pot is at that known value before it goes back on?

The whole system looks to be kind of locked so I dont want to damage an expensive part as surely the pot will have an end point in its travel?

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The good thing about the unmodified potentiometer is that it doesn't break when the seat hits the endstops (no matter where you position the potentiometer). The ball and socket "clutch" slips.... except if you glue it or nail it together as shown in some message threads. That 3D printed part in the photo is a replacement socket. The bad thing about the potentiometer, is that, after a while, it slips too much (not only at the endstops) and the roof ECU doesn't know where the seat is (and the ECU either stops the seat prematurely or doesn't stop it before it hits the endstops). Unfortunately, the Roof ECU is not self-learning. It has to be taught (with the use of the Ferrari SD1 tool). The best do-it-yourselfers can do, is use the existing calibration in the ECU memory (set up at the factory or by a Ferrari tech after that).

13. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thanks the question is if you DIY then how do you ensure its at the same value? As I see it the pot is driven off a shaft which is driven by the motor. Once thats assembled surely there is no way of adjusting the pot?

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm hoping someone will chime in here, as I haven't actually done the job myself, but you should be able to change the position of the potentiometer with it fitted (because of the ball and socket slip). I'm pretty sure you will need to open up the potentiometer case to do this. I'm thinking it would be next to impossible to do the case opening and adjusting with the seat fitted to the car. I can barely fit my hand under the seat.

Have you actually sourced a new pot or are you going with the repair kit? If we know which, the experts can guide you down the correct path as the procedure steps may vary a little.

Prior to removing the seat, I would position it to give you the best access to the front and rear track mounting bolts. The track with its endstops comes out with the seat, so you can do your adjusting with the seat removed. You can always change the position of the seat after it has been removed from the car by applying 12 volts to the motor directly.

There are a few forum posts which give typical potentiometer resistance ranges (from one endstop to the other). I've written my values down somewhere. You could get yours from your good seat. You could run the seat you are working on to one of the endstops and set up the new potentiometer to a typical value (either before the installation of the potentiometer or after). The potentiometer resistance range when not fitted to the seat is perhaps less relevant, but it is known (for extra confidence).

Prior to removing the seat, be sure to protect all the surfaces (paint and leather) to prevent damage.

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's one of my wiring diagrams which may help:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/gt5wSUrUYyIKAEhx

Link expires in 6 days.

Note that I haven't shown (in detail) the wire colours for the short section of wiring attached to seat potentiometers as they can vary. You may want to compare the colours prior to fitting a new potentiometer to make sure you are checking the resistances of the same wire pairs.

16. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Cheers for that I have a copy of that will take a good look.

Qavion its a new pot, well I hope - its off a jag so wont know for sure until I get the seat out and try it.

I have seen the pot values off another thread for max and min. I guess the only way to find out is to get the seat out and have a go.

I assume there is nothing I can damage? Kill the power and the seat only looks to be held in with 4 bolts. 2 wires to unclip 1 for the pot and 1 for the motor?

17. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The pot I have ordered has white, white red and white black wires.

So I assume its
    white = Brown
    white red = Yellow
    white black = Pink

As best as I can tell the housing and drive socket looks identical to the ferrari one.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I can't remember if the mounts and plug are the same as the Jaguar's, but some or most of the internals should be the same. I thought the Jag pots were just as rare. The 3D printer, Niles, was from a Jaguar forum.

On the passenger seat, there should also be an orange and a black wire going to a jumper. On the driver's seat is another jumper, but with two orange wires. These are attached to the seat frame and disable the roof (I recall) if they are disconnected. On the driver's seat, there is also the seatbelt warning wiring.

19. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    What part number did you use for the seat pot from a Jag? Inquiring minds.... I am tired of rebuilding mine.

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #70 Qavion, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    WATSON likes this.
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  23. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I think its JLM21119.

Second hand one £50, new one £100. We will see what turns up!

WATSON and Qavion like this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Actually, I'm starting to think that someone realised how much they could charge for a plastic part with $2 worth of electronics inside and started remanufacturing them in China. Seems similar to what happened with the HVAC fresh air flap motor-actuator. They were getting harder and harder to find then lots of them started appearing.

I bought a EEPROM/Bios chip reader a few days ago for a few dollars and it was a hundred times more complex electrically.

25. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The Jaguar Kit "GNA 4711" contains nice parts for us F355 spider seat potentiometer victims.

a) the motor can be obviously used for our seats (only the plug must be changed).
    b) the included seat potentiometer has at least the same housing (incl. the rubbish slip clutch). Even the potentiometer values are quite close to the original. Maybe by changing the plug it may work 1:1 but I did not test it.

If you are lucky this kit can be sourced for "small money". I bought new 4 kits in UK for around 30,- EUR per kit :) to be stocked as "a last parts reserve" since I only have 2 original Ferraris ones left.
    Some pics of the kit present a good view on the potentiometer and you can see that it looks the same as the Ferrari part.

The kit is at least a good resource even if only the motor and some potentiometer parts can be used. Better than nothing.

Regards, Thomas

ernie and Qavion like this.