Pista allocation with premium price? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Pista allocation with premium price?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by darrencsh, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #101 Shadowfax, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    How can you be so sure it wasn't a cancelled order? I know with 2rs everyone wanted one (until they were told how much lol) and no doubt a lot of orders which continued involved financial risk on the premise there was money to be made. I bet the production numbers will be less next time if the price stays high as no doubt a few got their fingers burnt by overextending and under recovering.

The main difference between 2rs and Pista was Pista buyers had to play games to get allocation which has now resulted in a ton of used 488's for sale with a used market clearly not big enough to absorb them. So how do all these Pista orders stay live if their 488 doesn't sell in time or, does not yield enough money when it does sell?

Once a Pista order goes into production and an owner's 488 is not sold it becomes a game of chicken....as in who flinches first? The dealer or the customer? Pretty sure this happened with some 2rs orders that came crunch time and the order was locked for build some would have realized their vulnerability - based upon what's been going on with flipper sales going backwards - and decided to back out.

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Agreed
    Hard to ignore the cost (which is real) and endless the market speculation (which is fun to discuss) but hopefully it’s separate from the driving experience.
    My approach is to I think a bit about the bottom line until the dotted-line is signed, and then never look at another thread about pricing until it’s time to put something up on the secondhand market.
    And I never do the numbers about cost per mile. Why bother?
    Life is too short and ultimately it is just a fun toy to enjoy.

sampelligrino and Shadowfax like this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah this is it. If you can swing it, better to do it while you can. Waiting around is for the birds.
    I've never made money out of a car and don't expect it to be any different this time. It's a case of buy it, use it, enjoy it, and take your medo when you sell it. It's nice when the pill isn't too big to swallow though hahaha!

Oligarch_NY and C50 like this.
  4. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Hahaha yeah
    Dealers always find a way to make the pill a little uncomfortable
    “Oh, you can swallow that? Hang on now, bend over and let’s try this way...”

tantumaude and Shadowfax like this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah it always comes down to does the driving and ownership experience warrant the rogering experience to get the car.....and the dealers know all the tricks.

C50 likes this.
  6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    UK market has two available plus a HK car. Price for two UK supplied cars is around £420k, retail is £250-ish so probably £300-£320k with options. Both cars supplied via independents, one with delivery miles being a RC (though the spec says carbon rims and the pictures show a car with silver alloy rims - maybe the car is not a car but an allocation?). The second is physical with about 500 miles on in grey.

This equates to slim pickings at the moment and there are plenty of Pista now supplied (first deliveries late 2018). Car is shown around £100k over. US market is five times the size of UK so there should be some cars around on the secondary market, if advertised at $100k over that about equates to what we are seeing here. I reckon they will get the price they are asking for the cars here.

7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Does anyone recall what speciales were commanding at this stage of the market cycle? Is history repeating or merely rhyming?

Oligarch_NY likes this.
  8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    They were less, about £50k over in the UK but it was easier to get an allocation later into the production run. They went to MSRP for decent ones about a year after production closed and have basically stayed there.

Actually, just looked, they have gone up again. About £50k over again - obviously a generalisation because there are so many different cars with different mileages.

C50 likes this.
  9. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Very interesting, and also interesting to note how the extra spend on options gradually settles out so that mileage becomes a more significant determinant of market value. It is almost as though the absence of what is considered to be essential is more critical than the addition of bits and bobs above that.
    I say this based upon not just what you just posted but my own low level background surveillance of the speciale market since I always coveted them. I would be happy to be corrected if anyone has observations contrary to this

10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    You by 24-48 cars a year from the same dealer and don't flip? That's impressive--all same brand or multiple brands?

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Buying 20+ cars a year makes no sense. Just use the 2m to 4m to via equity or debt to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua and SoCal to az like this.
  12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What exactly do you do with the cars? 24-48 cars per year is pretty crazy unless you're buying a bunch of old, collector stuff. I don't even think there are 10 modern cars out I'd even car about owning, let alone 24, let alone every year. That's pretty wild.

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    carnut has competition;), from a 21 yr old.

14. Oligarch_NY

Oligarch_NY Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NY
    just before 9 AM in ny, just got a call dealer is trying to dump a new 488 spider 2019 on me. I said no thank you. so I am sure people are passing up their 2019 488 to go to the f8 and or pistas.

LARRYH likes this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Wait...2-4 cars a MONTH....!?

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how many do yo u have right now? did the cali and the tdf sell?

17. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

I love people with virtually no posts and no Ferrari’s somehow have more information than the rest of us.

Grandmaster likes this.
  18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    For how many months?? :) lol.

24-48 cars a year for 3-5 years needs a Big ass garage

Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    lol
    lol

schumacherf2006 and SoCal to az like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    No Ferrari's doesn't seem accurate. He shared pictures of his second blue Pista here, remember?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

He also found a tdF and something else from SLC Ferrari that a collector had ordered in matching build spec.
    The way that Ferrari dealers are not allowed to list new cars for sale until a certain age tends to distort the reality of what is really out there in the market place. Plus what the real selling cost is to.

Shadowfax likes this.
  21. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    He's also stated that he bought a Speciale A recently...

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    One brand - I cycle in and out of the same thing a few times a year.

It doesn't have to make logical sense. It just requires being financially stable enough to have an expensive hobby, which I am.

Some I putter around in, others I track, and some I never pickup from the dealership. Brownie points.

It was a Speciale A and TdF and no I never officially listed them. Buying 2 more of each now. They tried to sell me your car.

Correct with a matching f12 TdF

Thecadster and of2worlds like this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I personally know someone that buys 3 to 4 cars a month and leaves them at the dealer because he has run out of room. Ferrari, Mac, Lambo - doesnt discriminate.

Thecadster and Oligarch_NY like this.
  24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm the last to tell someone what to do with their money, but I can't imagine buying 8 Portofinos a year. Like, they aren't that cool...

Why not just design one-offs and special cars and get something unique?

Grandmaster likes this.
  25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thats trust fund behavior- not i made it on my own. At 21 it’s unlikely he made the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.