Who leaves their F1 in neutral while parked in the garage? | FerrariChat

Who leaves their F1 in neutral while parked in the garage?

Discussion in '360/430' started by caymangone, Apr 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I assume there's no harm since I've been doing it for two years now with no issue. Just curious if anyone else does. I do it in case I want to reposition it in the garage between my lift posts. I never do it anywhere else though! Just in my level garage.

2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Pull both paddles, set the emergency brake. Habit I guess.

jehu999 likes this.
  3. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I do it sometimes. Depending on which garage space I park it in I might need to move it a few feet. Rather than start it and fume up the garage, I just pull on a wheel and roll it a little. I don't use the emergency brake. BUT, when parked in neutral I always chock a wheel.

KJB355 likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You do not need to start to select neutral with F1. There is enough pressure to select neutral with the paddles, especially since the F1 pump powers up when you open the driver's door.

I never leave mine in neutral, always in first. If you leave it in neutral, the system beeps at you to let you know you did that and should not have. If you always select neutral before starting like it says in the OM, no beep. If first will not select, you have a problem that needs addressing.

Dicecal likes this.
  5. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Same here. Park it, put it in neutral and pull a couple clicks on the e-brake and then it’s ready to start when I get in it the next time.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It is always ready to start, you just have to select neutral before starting if you leave her in 1st. I am not fond of leaving the parking brake on for long periods of time.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i just shut the car off in gear and i never use parking brake on flat surfaces. i only use parking brake on hills.

cole328 likes this.
  8. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Curious why people don’t like using the parking brake - it’s much cheaper insurance than having the weight of the car on the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Keith Darby likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Parking brakes get stuck especially during very hot and cold times of the year. On flat surfaces keeping a car in gear poses no additional stress so why use the parking brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    For my 2003 360 Spider, when parked in the garage, I put my F1 into Neutral and do not set the parking brake. I have a couple of heavy duty rubber wheel chocks that I use for the left side wheels. When the car is running (not on the roadway) at a standstill and in neutral I always use the emergency brake. Never a problem. Seems like everyone has their own preferences

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  11. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I never even knew this was a thing. 10 years of CS ownership and I have NEVER one time put it into neutral before turning it off. Never had an issue.

Zed82 likes this.
  12. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    After about 10 yrs of various F1’s- always neutral and never the brake ( in the garage only)

KJB355 likes this.
  13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Why would you do this? It's adding unnecessary wear to the system. F1 changes to neutral when you push the start button. The best thing you can do is leave it, and if you're on a flat surface don't apply the handbrake to prevent stretching of the cables.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  14. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Okay, I might skip the parking brake while in the garage - might as well try something new. I understand the cable-stretching issue - how do the newer electronic e-brakes work, still have a cable to worry about? Wouldn’t think so. Asking for a friend/wife

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I leave it in neutral when parked in garage. If the battery goes dead, it’s not stuck in gear and can be pushed out of the garage to change the battery. I have a tight space.

16. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I always put it in Neutral before I turn the car off, just a habit. Never had any issues.

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I follow the owners manual.
    It strictly says "Never leave the vehicle with the gearshift in Neutral. Engage a gear (1 or R)
    Page 70 of owners manual.

The system is smart enough to put it in neutral before starting the engine.

Ryan..., timjen88 and f355spider like this.
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Starting an F1 Ferrari while first is selected is a bad idea, too. Even though the system is supposed to select neutral before starting if in 1st, if the battery is low, she can lurch forward when started. That is one reason the OM says to select neutral before starting.

whatheheck likes this.
  19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Why select neutral before starting when the ECU automatically does this?

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Time for me to reread the manual again! ;)

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The 430 Scuderia owners manual (US Version) makes no mention of selecting neutral before starting.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #22 tazandjan, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Have to look at that one. The later the Ferrari OM, they more they look like a Buick OM, so hope they did not leave it out.

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    And I agree.

I always put mine in Neutral before staring the car. Again, just like the manual says.

I just mentioned that if the main reason some people leave theirs in Neutral is they are worried about starting the car in gear - the system is smart enough to put it in Neutral before actual engine start.

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Definitely no downside to the practice, just an extra second or two to select. I guess I'm lazy. :)

whatheheck likes this.
  25. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    To be honest I don’t think it matters one way or the other neutral or 1st when shutting off. The only reason the manual states 1st is to provide a safety of the car rolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skippr1999 and whatheheck like this.