ff or....? | FerrariChat

ff or....?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by 95spiderman, Apr 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thinking of next daily driver. need awd and ability to do occasional easy track day. I figure whether I buy used or lease new these 4 will all end up costing same amount over 3 to 5 yrs.

im toying with idea of ff. upside is I love the car. downside is having only 2 doors and worry that any repairs even with warranty will take a long time due to slow parts availability and dealer preference for best customers.

so other options are a used Panamera. its more practical w 4 doors and will be easier to service at Porsche dealer than Ferrari dealer. downside is it sounds pedestrian and is big considering barely fits 5

can also go with 2 new cars. audi rs5 sportback is pretty cool but having engine hanging in front of axle hurts handling. last choice is alfa stelvio qf. obviously its an suv but its a pretty good one with best engine of the bunch after the v12. (giulia qf is out bc want awd)

opinions, ideas?

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    get an FF and have something else on backup as a hedge

350MH83, Bas, tomc and 2 others like this.
  3. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I had a Panamera GTS for about 3 years as my daily. Kids today are ages 6 and 8. About a year ago i switched to an FF and haven't looked back one second! I think if my kids were still in car seats that need buckled the Panamera is the better choice. But since now they are old enough to climb in and buckle themselves I don't regret the decision at all. The GTS was a great car, but the joy I get from driving the FF is not even close. I actually find the trunk area of the FF quite large and have have done many runs to Lowe's with the back seats down to fit the occasional large item. Two seats of golf clubs in the FF is easy and me and my buddy even hit up the grocery store for a beer run after with plenty of cargo space left for many cases. Personally at today's prices the FF is a complete steal! In fact, I love the FF so much I ordered a new Lusso that will be here in about a month. I can't see me not having it for a long time.

95spiderman likes this.
  4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    no room for more cars at house. lotus elise and wifes fiat 500 means only 1 more car

plastique999 likes this.
  5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I had a 1st gen Panamera 4s that I loved as a luxury car but was not sporty at all. not sure how 2nd gen is in that regard but will obviously need to test drive one.

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I was going through the same process myself. I was seriously considering an FF or Cali as my daily sports car to drive as the ALFA 4C was just too small for the task. Was also open to other options. Happened by the local BMW dealer looking for a new SUV for my wife. They had a new M850 - nice lines, back seats for the little kids, big truck, big HP with LOTS of torque. Never been a BMW fan, but took the plunge and I absolutely love it.

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    new topgear just had lusso driven by leblanc v Panamera driven by harris. wasn't serious comparison but basically came down to Ferrari more emotional and Porsche more practical. Porsche is so stupid not to make Panamera full 5 seater.

8. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm w/ you there... which is why I have a Cayenne. I've driven the latest Panamera 4s as a loaner a month or so back as mine was in for service, to me it was fun, especially when I hit the fun button/sport chrono. It's not a Ferrari though. I've seen that they have the Sport Turismo that comes with a 5th seat (sort of). Might be a nice option as it appears high MSRP cars are getting massive discounts...demand isn't there for the Sport Turismo and a ton of new ones sitting at dealers.

FF is an amazing deal, and the Lusso as well especially on some ultra low mileage ones out there that people used to get allocations for other cars.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There's someone we have seen from time to time in a blacked out Panny Sport Turismo.
    Even my wife, who's not a fan of the Panny, think it looks bad a$$.
    T

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I've been debating this for a while now. I currently have the old 1994 Porsche built Benz E500 with low mileage which is finally going up in value the past year and the trend looks good. That car gets so many comments to this day, a true modern classic. I also have a CLK63 Black Series with next to no miles on it. That one I believe will take another 10 years for it to start moving up again. I'm not going to get rich off of either one although the E500 has doubled in value from what I paid many years ago. I doubt I'll make money with the FF. I have 4 cars with a 3 car garage so I would have to do the 2 for 1 swap. I very much like what I have now, but the V12 is calling me. That's what I'm debating right now.

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    having emptied my nest, im not into the station wagon panamera. 10 yrs ago that wouldve been my dream car. can get the 'extra' seat for regular pana now. but its so ridiculous bc they keep the center console there which takes away the leg room.

12. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Completely agree, having legroom goes beyond stretching forward, especially on long trips, you feel boxed in.

13. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Get the FF. Best car I’ve driven, and really easy to daily. If you don’t get the FF you’ll always be wondering...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Totally agree. Plus at these price levels on the FF, drive it a year and if you don't like it sell it. What's the worst case scenario - you lose $20k on depreciation at most? I lost almost $80k when I sold the Panamera GTS.

TriumphantTaco likes this.
  15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yeah ff is probably at bottom of depreciation curve now. 3 yr old Panamera is probably not too far off either. that's why I think theyre equivalent value now. same with leasing new audi, alfa from my 1st post. probably all cost around1000/month

16. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah only one is a V12 Ferrari...and all the rest are not

timjen88 likes this.
  17. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ^^^^ and there wont be many after either

timjen88 likes this.
  18. Outrun

Outrun Karting

That was my thoughts too. The ff can’t go down much further so represents ridiculous value, I’m in the uk but the depreciation curve seems similar to the US. Sure it may cost 20k over the next couple of years but a new Panamera will cost more than that and it’s not a v12 Ferrari.

Drove the panamera turismo, it’s very nice but a 2010 panamera is 20k and also nice so if I really wanted one, I’d but older and let someone else take the 80k hit. Turbos are about 35k here, that’s got to be 99% as good for a bucket load less.