California DCT Speed Sensor saga | Page 2 | FerrariChat

California DCT Speed Sensor saga

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BDeuel, Apr 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The T has a great interior, no doubt about that! If you go with a sport exhaust it should help it in the sound dept!

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The other nice thing about the t is as far as I’m aware there haven’t been any speed sensor failures. I did see one post about an issue but pretty sure it was a fluke and was easily fixed.

But back to the topic on hand I think the Cali 30 is really the car to have out of the bunch. Sure it’s still got the possibility of speed sensor failure but the available power and reduced weight moved it from the pre T car going from a good car to a great car.

I’d be completely content with either a Cali 30 or a Cali T, and from comparison if I had the earlier model I know I’d wish it had one of the other 2 even though it’s still a good car. However had I not had the chance to drive and use the other cars would be completely happy oblivious to the improvements made with the other 2 cars.

AD211 likes this.
  3. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’ll add to the list of people with the issue here. I bought a 2013 Cali 30 HS and literally drive it right from the truck to the dealer and bought the power warranty. 14,400 miles. 112 miles later. DCT speed sensor failure. 20k repair they are doing for free.
    Has anyone had the issue happen again after it was repaired once?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

arizonaitalian likes this.
  4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I believe early on there was an issue with reoccurance, but (though I have no definitive proof of this) I understand that the current sensors are not prone to failure due to heat. I believe the sensors were upgraded to withstand higher temperature with better quality control. Also while I’m not sure how it was addressed the wires are better protected from chafing. I’ve not heard of reoccurrence from recent repairs. Doesn’t mean it isn’t happening just haven’t heard.

5. Captbern

Captbern Rookie

Apr 2, 2021
    I have a 2013 Cali 30k same issue speed sensor just repaired know got a noise on shifting 1&2 but not the others gears there saying it’s a software issue ???

6. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    What a mess. Do you mind telling us how much you paid for the sensor repair?

7. Captbern

Captbern Rookie

Apr 2, 2021
    $10 K cost issue isn’t resolved yet still have issue with what sounds like hydraulic or synchro noise

8. Montblanc

Montblanc Rookie

Apr 8, 2012
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I would assume a synchro issue would be a grind or crunch sound on shifting. What does a hydraulic noise sound like?

9. biotequity

biotequity Rookie

Jun 22, 2012
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Michael Taylor
    I have a cali30 and it has been bulletproof. 33k miles and 7 yrs.

tomc and alex like this.
  10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Does the noise happen before you attempt to select 2nd gear with the paddle? The transmission makes the 1st to 2nd gear shift while you are accelerating in 1st gear before any shift is requested. When you operate the upshift paddle, you are commanding the odd gear clutch to disengage and the even gear clutch to engage.

If the transmission makes a grinding or metallic buzzing noise when you are accelerating in 1st gear, before you have requested a gear change, then the fault is probably due to a bad 2nd gear synchro. If it is really bad, then the synchro teeth on 2nd gear and the operating sleeve may be damaged as well. The really bad news is that none of the hard parts (gears, synchros, operating sleeves, shafts, bearings, etc) are available as new replacement parts from any source. The only way to get them is from a used donor transmission.

It would be a good idea to inspect the gear oil (GL5) to see if it is contaminated with metallic particles (is it clean amber colored or grey with metallic flakes), and change it if it is not clean. Before changing the gear oil, check the DCT and gear oil levels to see if there is any cross mixing or contamination. If all is ok, then it would be a good idea to change the DCT fluid (Special ATF) as well. Also have the repair shop perform a gearbox learning procedure on the ECU to relearn the gearbox shifting and clutch perameters.

If the grinding noise persists, then it is time for a new/used transmission, or a rebuild with good used parts.

Brian Brown
    San Fransisco Motorsports

vjd3 likes this.
  11. michaelsdurham

Jun 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Michael Durham
    I would love to start a class action if they aren't willing to at least cover the part. Mines in the shop now with 10k miles on it. Ive driven it 400 miles since I bought it.
    Shop bill is about $9500. Super pissed off.

12. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    My 2012 California 37K Miles that I bought in April 2021 has a transmission failure light went off… I cannot get to first, third and 7th gear either on auto or manual shift.

I brought to local Ferrari dealer and they said that everything dealing with transmission they have to communicate with Ferrari Italy….

After two weeks then finally they found out the issue “Inside the gearbox there is a pressure sensor that failed. We are replacing that part”

So hopefully next week I will get my car fixed after sitting for three weeks at Ferrari shop. Luckily I bought with two year warranty and this time it’s covered by my warranty so cost me nothing… but I was not lucky enough on two other events before this one.

I already spent over $2,000 on my first two months with this new baby… cooling fan kept running thus made my battery dead and unfortunately was not covered by my extended warranty.

Also had another engine warning light last month and brought to local dealer and found out: The fault is in the secondary air system for emissions for low air flow. The exhaust manifolds are plugged from carbon build up in the secondary air ports not allowing air to flow into the catalytic convertors. His recommendation is to remove the exhaust manifolds and mechanically clean the ports out allowing the needed airflow. Unfortunately it was not covered by extended warranty and the dealer quoted for $6,000.

My first experience having Ferrari is not good but I enjoyed so much this car…. So far…..The sound, the look and the driving experience…. I brought it to track few times and very good in handling corners and have enough power on straight run….live this new baby just cannot stand with repair costs so far….ouch!!!!

Hopefully by sharing info will give you some idea about California …. At least for me…. Down the roads when I am lucky enough to make fortune then I want to trade up for Cali-T or Portofino M …..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat