MASERATI SEBRING 1966 | FerrariChat

MASERATI SEBRING 1966

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Jhoniks, Feb 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan
  2. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan
  3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    What were your compression readings? Was the engine cold or warm? Did you make SURE that the butterflies were open when doing the compression test?
    Around 150psi is normal but the absolute value is less important that consistency across all cylinders. Ideally you want all cylinders to be within 10% of each other.

Ivan

4. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan
    I SALUTE YOU CORDIALLY IVAN,

THE READING WAS MADE WITH THE HOT ENGINE, 3 CYLINDERS IN 60 PSI, 1 IN 65 PSI AND 2 WITH READING OF 45 AND 47 PSI ... I HAVE READ THAT THIS TYPE OF ENGINE WORKS IN LOWER COMPRESSIONS BUT I DO NOT KNOW THAT SO LOW IS THE RANGE OF VARIATIONS.

5. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan
    ANOTHER PROBLEM THAT I RESULT IS WITH THE ALIGNMENT OF THE WHEELS, SOMEONE COULD HELP ME WITH A GRAPH OF MEASURES FOR ALIGNMENT OF THE CHASSIS AND STEERING PLEASE? ..

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Did you make sure to press the accelerator all the way down to open the butterflies when testing the compression? Many people forget to do this and get erroneous readings.
    You said the engine was hot, therefore I assume the engine runs. With that low of compression the engine would barely run and if it did the power would be very low. Does it have injection or Webers?
    Ivan

7. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan
    effectively the engine works, has its webers.I have been testing as you mentioned but I have not had a stable result, that is, it stays for a moment and it goes down again, I think I will disarm again.

thank you.

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Did you personally rebuild this engine?
    Ivan

9. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan
    we only disassembled to see the internal conditions, but nothing unusual was seen in cylinders, rings or valves so it was only cleaned and assembled.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am very confused. You say the engine "works" yet the compression readings are terrible. This does not add up. Most likely a problem taking the compression reading ... either faulty gauge or faulty procedure. You said the compression "stays for a moment and then comes down again" ... this sounds like a faulty schrader valve on the gauge. Before taking the engine back out and apart shouldn't you do a little more investigation? If those compression reading are actually true (which I doubt), then there is leakage either through the rings, exhaust vales or inlet valves. A leak down test would determine this.
    Ivan

11. Joe186

Joe186 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Hi Jonathan,

You posted a question to me about the Sebring's Alignment in the Instrument Panel Post. As requested by others, you should try to keep you posts consolidated to one area. Since this thread is called Maserati Sebring 1966, it might be easier for everyone if all of your question are posted here. As far as alignment for the Sebring. The alignment specifications are stated in the Sebring 2 use and maintenance manual on page 8. Ivan, who is helping with some of your questions on engine compression, has a wonderful website called, " The Car Nut" (Thank you Ivan) that has a tremendous amount of helpful information on Maserati, including a copy of the Sebring 2 manual. If you need more than the alignment specs, I may be able to help you with other information, as the suspension was just re-installed on my car.

Joe

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan
    Dear , Ivan, the measurements in the compression before taking the decision to start the engine disassembly were the following: 42, 38,112,110,45,65 psi ... the measures of 112 and 110 are those that go down to 45 and 47 at some point (not during the measurement process therefore discarded that the device is damaged), we measured 3 days in a row and the data are variable in each measurement ... so possibly check rings or valves. Thanks for the help Joe, I will take into account your comment I will post only in this league .. If you can help me with the fresh measurements, taking your car I would really appreciate it, I will be distracted a bit from the engine with this part of the suspension, it has already The Engine was exhausted too much. I tried to listen to it for a few days, but I must improve it. I will seek more information about it, visit your site Ivan. "The carnut" .. Thanks again.. Jonathan

13. Joe186

Joe186 Rookie

Nov 12, 2014
    Jonathan,

We set the alignment on the car to the specifications in the manual, which are:

A L I G N M E N T

The toe-in of the ·wheels, measured on the rims at the height of the hubs is. 4 mm. (3/16").

The camber in the straight-ahead position, is 1 °.

The inclination of the plane in which the wheels act as springs in the vertical-transversal plane, or angle of incidence of the pins is 2° (Caster).

The transversal inclination king pin angle (seen from the front. of the pins) is 7° 30’.

Joe

14. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan
    Thanks Joe, I'm working right now.