First Ferrari (348 SS): So far a DD...well, almost! | FerrariChat

First Ferrari (348 SS): So far a DD...well, almost!

Discussion in '348/355' started by rvp325, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    39 years old...picked up my first Ferrari a month ago: a 1993 348 Targa Serie Speciale. Rossa Corsa on beige leather, excellent condition, 59K miles. Former owners cared for it more than they did their own children (judging by the service binder) including several upgrades and a few pleasantries to boot (Momo challenge steering wheel, seatbelt conversion, refinished leather, Tubi exhaust, carbon fiber "Valence" front lip and door sills.

Currently, on my third consecutive 911 (997 Carrera 4s >> 991 Carrera S >> 991 Carrera GTS Aerocup Kit) which have been my exclusive DDs. Including thru NJ winters equipped with dedicated winter rim/tire combos mounted Dec-March. As a physician, I mean the following figuratively and literally: Porsches are race-ready machines with pedigree...but have become too "clinical" in recent years. Serious cars produced by a serious manufacturer that takes itself...well, too seriously.

What seemed to be an impulsive buy has actually been years in the making. Searches for "used Ferraris" on Autotrader.com at 2 am in nothing but boxer shorts, anyone?. Hell, the very same framed poster of a 308 GTSi QV that I grew up with on my walls as a kid now adorns my 8 year old son's room. Passion never dies.

Granted, I myself do not have a primary care physician (I curbside consult my colleagues for most trivial matters) but I do have a quite a few talented mechanics in my Rolodex. After I drove the beauty home from the mid Atlantic a month ago, I had a friend do the following: O2 sensors replaced; replaced coolant temp sensors; removed and cleaned all pin connections because of corrosion followed by Stabilant 22 contact enhancer; disassembled MAFs; replaced cam/phase sensor; new air filter, oil change.

The 348, as we all know, has had plenty a mixed review over the past 30 years. Much of it undeserved. That's what happens when twenty-something year old journalists (who did well in HS English) decide to jump on the proverbial bandwagon and criticize a automotive icon that they could otherwise never lay their hands on.

Had I wanted to "invest" the $$ I purchased the car with, I would've have split the balance amongst the diversified index funds within my portfolio. At least, that would be investing in a conventional sense. Rather, I chose to invest in the good times with my 8 year old son. For God's sake, you can't take any of "this" with you, and I damn well know life is fragile -- I'm a Neuroradiologist and my wife is an ER/Trauma physician. When I succumbed to a bit of buyer's remorse, she chimed in and proclaimed: "If anything goes wrong...if the car blows up standing still in our driveway...I'll take the blame for it".

I plan on driving the piss out of it. Because it's so bloody amazing and visceral and demanding. For starters, my son, who is growing up in a generation obsessed with Fortnite, is happy as a clam sitting there -- shotgun obviously -- savoring every melodious note that glorious V8 produces. He gets out and does, not one, but at least two look backs because it's impossible not to love those side strakes and menacing, yet elegant rectangular design. And then...coming home to google search every corner of the Internet to learn more about the 348. Even he finds those borderline demeaning articles written in years past to be downright senseless...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

allandwf, klfong, 308 GTB and 11 others like this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    *Awesomeness they are really great cars. Congrats!
    *There is actually more reasons why the car got a reputation which is funny because when the Spider came out the same rags gushed. We can talk about that later but there is definitely reasons beyond what you mentioned.
    *I may know info on the car what's the VIN I can pass on info if its the car I think, someone out here used to own it (if its the one I think)
    *Needs wheel spacers :)

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Congratulations!

Welcome to the 348 Brotherhood.

4. Stryker1808

Stryker1808 Rookie

Jul 10, 2015
    Congratulations! I also allocate some money to "passion" investments (although it seems to have run amok!). I remember a day in an old but newly acquired convertible with my 9 year old son. He was so thrilled that he just uttered, "this is the best day of my life!". Priceless moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Priceless, indeed! It's funny, a friend asked me if I would've preferred to have this car when younger, i.e. single and no kids. Ironically, it's much sweeter now, as a family car. It's a different kind of joy cruising with my son, going out with my wife...and of course, riding solo :)

6. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Thank you, my man!

7. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Hey, interesting: small world. Perhaps you're correct. I will PM you sooner or later. I do know some of the history, e.g. Luca DM trashing it as the last outgoing car under Enzo's commission only to highlight the 355 successor...the NSX and all its user-friendliness...faults and gremlins of the earliest production models (which were thankfully addressed in later models, including the SS) such as the more robust Japanese alternator, etc

Wheel spacers? That's...a potentially good idea. Again, will PM with you VIN soon :)

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It sets the wheel spacing the same as the spiders cars that did it with different wheel offset.

Not sure if the SS had the newer offset?

Beautiful so enjoy it! I'm in NJ also.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
  10. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
  11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Interesting your SS doesn’t have the carbon seats. I know they could be ordered with normal seats, but I wonder if yours came with them originally and then were swapped out?

12. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Hi!
    Was actually a factory option to have standard Connolly leather seats instead. The Kevlar buckets were standard. I presume bc those were harsher. Quite frankly I’m glad I have the standard seats.

13. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    First, congrats on a beautiful car. Your approach with your son will last you forever. I was blessed like you to have a young son and the cars to share them with him and he has grown to a man that is a true motorhead just like his dad (some fun conversations when we are together). Second, in regards to the bad press for our cars, it really comes down to the comments you mentioned above from Luca and a certain writer. If you read the early reports on the 348 you will find good reviews. That particular writer just did a comparison test on three owner supplied 348s and guess what, he came to the same conclusion. What was interesting the car he used to validate his comments was discribed as a TS with serious rattles, a top that leaked so bad the owner carried towels with him always. Also, the test was conducted on a rather cold UK day on a wet track. He mentioned that he pushed the car as hard as he could into a turn and guess what, it wipped out (duh). It is crap like that that makes me not purchase these magazines (I read the article while sitting in a book store :) ). In any case keep enjoying that car!

14. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Hey, that's interesting. That write-up was seemingly doomed before he put pen to paper...any "cold UK day" is miserable. Trust me I know, I was born in Nottingham! Awesome to hear about your story with your son. Indeed a blessing to create such memories. The beauty of "analog" is apparent to him now...most kids his age, in this time we live in, don't quite get it. Even with music....we periodically hunt for Vinyl together. Sure records are a PITA and Spotify is a lot easier (great for the car and working out)...but embracing the analog lifestyle makes things fun. Glad you're enjoying with your son all these years. Cheers,

15. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Great thread. Nice front lip. Haven't seen it in carbon fiber before.

16. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Rahul,

Congratulations. Enjoy the ride and sounds.

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Congrats!! I have seen this car advertised and figured it would get snatched up!!

18. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Congratulations. The car looks great.

Be sure to post many photos of your adventures.

Robb

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Was it this one I looked at it a while back?
    VIN : ZFFRG36A6P0095082

20. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    You got it! Will do !

21. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Correct. You know your VINSs!

22. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Many thx. Absolutely

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #23 Ferrarium, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Rahul with a new to you car it is a good idea to monitor oil to get a sense of the car. Check it with oil warm and car running or within a few seconds of shut down. Overnight the dip stick can read empty due to dry sump nature.

At one time that car had 360 wheels looks like it went back to OEM. Really great looking car the SS is fabulous!

24. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Yeah on point. Oil is good. Thx. Correct. One owner returned to the original wheels. I think more original, classic.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #25 Ferrarium, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Btw the car was owned by a guy named Eric. He was the owner several owners ago. You may want to contact him for Information that may be useful. Search the vin you'll find him and some information. Hope it helps.:)

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rvp325 likes this.