Zandvoort 2020? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Zandvoort 2020?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jun 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [Autosport] Zandvoort is set to replace Barcelona as the first non-flyaway race of the 2020 F1 season, with the Spanish Grand Prix falling off the calendar.

Also, There has also been significant progress made on keeping Monza on the calendar.

[​IMG]

Bas likes this.
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    OMG, if true that is astonishing news. And Zandvoort in May is perfect. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Since Zandvoort is so close to Amsterdam: Is there a convenient tram/train line to the track? Would be ideal to stay in Amsterdam.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes very easy route in from central amsterdam. I think 25 mins tops. Train to track is a 5 minute walk. Out of station, turn right...and erm. that's it. Hotels in Zandvoort are all fully booked already. As far as I know they'll run extra trains also

tifosi12 likes this.
  4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    With such an easy access I'd rather stay in Amsterdam anyhow and enjoy the city life. With that train it'll be very similar to Barcelona

Bas likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The way you guys make it sound, Zandvoort (along with Amsterdam being "next door") looks like a better deal and experience than Monaco during a GP weekend.

After reading Monaco during a GP weekend, I would rather visit Monaco when there is'nt a GP a month before a GP and 2 weeks after a GP.

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I am sorry to be negative but Zandvoort used to be an absolutely brilliant circuit and the best for overtaking. Then they decided to build houses on part of the track so now you are left with a silly twisty track with no overtaking. No idea why anyone thought that was a good idea. It is completely unsuitable for F1 as it is now (so that surely means a race there is bound to happen). F1 really doesn't need yet another track where no-one can overtake. It really does need Zandvoort as it used to be. It just needs some houses bulldozed and the old track rebuilt instead.

Thomas S. and william like this.
  7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nah, Monaco GP is perfectly fine. I usually stay in Nice and avoid the shenanigans and high costs.

IMHO the best event is the Historic F1 GP the week before the F1 GP (runs every two years). THAT's the ticket. At least to folks who love F1 history.

635CSI, william and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It has changed but some of the key corners like Tarzan are still there. Could be worse, could be Hockenheim...

william likes this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Went around current Zandwoort layout in January 2013 with a decent vintage racer in his Mercedes station wagon (!) and it felt impossibly tight turning in on itself all the time, not at all worthy of F1, sorry.

Thomas S. and Bas like this.
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, it's a good track for touring and GT cars, but in its present form, it will be a bit tight for F1.
    Expect a procession there !

Thomas S. and Nembo1777 like this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Why not have the British GP at Mallory park while you are at it Liberty?:rolleyes:

william likes this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    the track will be widended and butchered by adding massive parking lots everywhere...so the challenge taken away. It will be a precession sadly. It'll have an incredibly short straight, a damn sight shorter than Hungary even and the track will not be as wide (and Hungary hardly know for it being a) wide b) long straight c) ease of overtaking!)

Really what they should've done is extend the straight by some 2-300 meters into the dunes, copy the Tarzan exactly. It would turn into a brilliant track for racing...as the challenge would be to stay close the whole lap, then nail it from the Audi S (or whatever ti's called today) get a good exit through the last 2 corners and nail your opponent into the ''new tarzan''.

Even for GT it's ****.

What is it good for? Well definitely the ability to get close to the cars! Unlike silverstone, you won't have to bring your binoculars to see the cars. Anyone that's been to say Brands Hatch knows what I'm on about. Definitely adds to the excitement.

Spanish GP almost always a procession so I guess replacing one procession for the other....why not

Lots easier than Barcelona I'd say...Mind you I only went once with a train to the track but it was quite a walk from the station to the track entrance.

Thomas S. likes this.
  14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Having been to the British GP at Brands Hatch in 1980 I know what you're talking about. Man, that was brilliant! And my fav Alan Jones won. One of my happiest days.

Not sure why you had to walk that much to the entrance unless your seats were on the other side. From the train station to the s/f line it is a short walk (unless they recently changed something, which is always possible).

Speaking of easy walks: Mexican GP is a close contender: Subway ride takes you to within a block of the entrance.

Bas likes this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I just double checked the website, maybe when I went (for testing) I got off the wrong station....but nope. 34 minute walk according to google maps with the station the GP site recommends.

AJ winning at Brands. He's one of my favourite F1 drivers also. What a cool guy he was (and still is).

My one concern is the fans that'll be at the track. A friend was at the Austrian GP last year and was utterly embarrassed how the Dutch behaved...football hooligans, who care about one guy and one car only: Max. The atmosphere was friendly but it was 3 days of football-esque chants about Max. I can see why Liberty wants to attempt to control how much orange is allowed at the track but I guarantee you they'll fail that!

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hey Bas, what dates are we talking about? I'm guessing the weekend of May 10. Right?

Hotels in Amsterdam already ridiculously expensive.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm not entirely sure what date it will happen, but suffice to say as soon as it's clear best book immediately. Haarlem will I assume also be booked but I prefer it over Amsterdam myself. Loads of restaurants. 10 minutes train ride to Zandvoort (less than that, even), and pretty much all restaurants/hotels walking distance to the train station, and as good as connection to the airport also (20 minutes with a taxi).

I'll get in contact with my mate who may have some property for rent in Zandvoort itself but can't promise anything.

18. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    F1 in Zandvoort would be fun but it will be a nightmare to go there by car. Book your hotel early. Amsterdam, Haarlem, Hoofddorp are all pretty close by and take a bus/train/bike to the track. I assume there will be extra buses and shuttle buses from the nearby cities to bring the spectators to the circuit. On a random summerday it’s already impossible to park your car anywhere on the Zandvoort boulevard. F1 in Zandvoort will be absolute CHAOS. I can’t wait :) Thank god I live pretty close and can ride on my motor scooter to the track.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Hummm, I hope the DRS zone will start in Amsterdam, or it´s going to be impossible to overtake there. Maybe they can lenghten the main straight, at least it would be like another Hungaroring.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #45 william, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019

This just shows that the evolution of the tracks does not follow the uncreasing speeds of the cars.
    We want the tracks to be adapted to the cars, when in fact we should have restrained the cars to be able to run on the tracks as they were.
    I don't think the show is better with 1000hp cars full of aero, than it was in the 1.5liter formula with barely 200hp, and no wings at all.

You talk about Silverstone, but that's about the ONLY British circuit that can accommodate modern F1 and WEC cars.
    I mean with a minimum of safety; and that's why the public is kept at some distance. But the track allows a driver to express himself fully at least.
    Even Donington is inadequate now, and you can forget Brands Hatch (my favourite circuit, BTW), it's very limited now.

Never mind, I prefer an extra race in Europe, than in some God-forsaken place in the Far East. Call me bias if you want.

Bas likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I go to Brands quite often (maybe 5 or 6 times a year), mostly to Watch club racing.
    You couldn't have a GP at Brands Hatch anymore. The lap time now would be very different than in 1980, the circuit cannot accommodate the necessary run-off areas, and the pits and paddock are too tight, etc ...
    Because of all the housing nearby, there is also a noise abatement restriction.
    I suppose that would be ideal for Formula E ? LOL

22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

But ultimately they could run F1 there if they wanted to. Monaco gets special dispensation. No run-offs areas, far worse noise for residents etc etc.
    It's all about motivation.
    It's a shame as Brands is second to Spa in terms of driver challenge and supreme viewing for spectators.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting comment about the housing. Back then I remember we parked in the middle of nowhere and walked across acres of open land to the track. Wow, tempora mutant.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My logic is that if Zandvoort really replaces Barcelona it will be the race before the Monaco GP. Monaco is the one and only race in the calendar whose date is already defined a year in advance. So taking two weeks off that date I came up with my date.

Grau mein Freund ist jede Theorie… :)

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I doubt it, the locals would be dead against it anyway, and they have a lot of power in UK.
    The circuit still exists only because it has accepted to reduce its activity, and mostly the noise!
    I don't think anybody is interested in holding a GP there.
    The previous owners sold the track to MotorVision because they couldn't bid for the GP anymore.