MOTORTREND calls F8 “Camry Corolla” of super cars | FerrariChat

MOTORTREND calls F8 “Camry Corolla” of super cars

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Michaelw488, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    MOTORTREND calls F8 “Camry Carolla” of super cars in June 2019 issue!

2. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Wow!!is this where Ferrari is going? How do all of us feel about this?

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Source link? Would like to see that in context.

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I tell you how I feel. Im pissed! I mean how could we all stand for this. A car magazine denigrating my favorite brand?? Im pissed I tell ya and I will not stand for it!

On second thought- I really dont give a crap what some stupid writer looking for clicks says.

5. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Motortrend June 2019 pg.20 bottom left

6. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W

7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    1. Does anyone care what motor trend say?
    2. You really believe a 700 + HP mid engine car drives like a camery ??
    3. DOES ANYONE CARE WHAT MOROR TREND SAY??

sampelligrino, stavura, Graz and 4 others like this.
  8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If by that they mean its livable as a daily driver, then great!

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Like I was saying, context is in order.

anunakki and crinoid like this.
  10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well there is very little context, here is what the magazine has to say. I guess they mean it's going to be produced in non-exclusive numbers compared to the other cars in it's class at the show.

What:
    Ferrari’s most powerful V-8 production car, it replaces the 488 series.
    Powertrain:
    3.9L twin-turbo V-8, seven-speed twin-clutch automatic, RWD
    Power:
    710 hp Torque: 568 lb-ft 0-62: 2.9 sec Top speed: 211 mph Price:
    $300,000 (est)
    Sum-up: This “mass-production” vehicle is destined to
    become the Camry/Corolla of supercars being shown on the Geneva show
    floor. The most serious ballers and baddies among you who are smitten by
    the looks of this one should sit on your hands at least until the rarer special
    editions begin arriving in a year or two.

11. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Context is important.....from Motor Trend

FERRARI F8 TRIBUTO HAS BRAND’S MOST POWERFUL PRODUCTION V-8 EVER

Will debut at the Geneva Motor Show
    FERRARI NEWS

SHARE:
    • Kelly Pleskot February 28, 2019
      We will miss the Ferrari 488 GTB, the powerful yet easy-to-drive supercar that won our 2017 Best Driver's Car competition. But we have a feeling we're going to like its replacement, the Ferrari F8 Tributo.

The new car has a 3.9-liter V-8 engine making 710 hp and 568 lb-ft of torque. That's up 49 hp and 7 lb-ft from the V-8 engine in the 488 GTB. Ferrari says the F8 Tributo is its most powerful V-8 series car to date.

By Ferrari estimates, the F8 Tributo can hit 62 mph in 2.9 seconds. Top speed is 211 mph.

In addition to more power, the F8 Tributo is lighter and more aerodynamic than the car it replaces. Ferrari says it's 88 pounds lighter than the 488 GTB, and boasts a 10 percent improvement in aerodynamic efficiency. Ferrari has redesigned the S-Duct that we first saw on the 488 Pista to improve downforce 15 percent compared to the 488 GTB. New brake cooling intakes up front help improve airflow.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
      VIEW 6 PHOTOS
      The Ferrari F8 Tributo comes with a new version of the Ferrari Dynamic Enhancer, which makes controlling the lateral dynamics in high-performance situations more controllable. This feature can be activated in Race mode for the first time. Ferrari also redesigned the steering wheel rim, making it smaller in diameter.

Visually, the F8 Tributo seems similar to its predecessor. But you'll notice Ferrari has returned to the twin taillamp design seen on early eight-cylinder berlinettas. The interior is also reminiscent of the 488 GTB, including the thin transmission tunnel. Still, Ferrari says every element of the dash, door panels, and tunnel has been redesigned. You'll also find new round air vents and a 7-inch touchscreen.

We'll learn more about the mid-rear engine F8 Tribuno at the Geneva Motor Show on March 5.

Source: Ferrari

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I now have a nearly completely white beard.
    I am retiring in a year.
    I am looking forward to having 3 pants, 3 ties, 2 shirts, 1 blazer, and 0 underwear (ok, I kid on the last:)).

I don’t care what anyone thinks of what I like, and sure as **** don’t care about their dumbass opinions.

F8 is beautiful and fast.
    But...my 16M, Speciale and 458 Spider are better. ;)

13. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I honestly didn't read that in any insulting way. As you said, it's most likely a matter of production volumes.

14. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Then it should have been written as such!IMO this was done with total disrespect for Ferrari & particularly the F8!

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Dont hate on me but let's face it, Ferrari is the Toyota of super cars now more than ever. Of course to non car people they may not see it this way. Other than the special cars they are building appliances. Going public has really changed the company. They are still building cool cars but they aren't "must have". Pista, Speciale, Scud, CS, F40/50, etc. are the great cars but too much BS to get a new version. Porsche mass produces 911s but the GT series still carries cache. Lambo is an extension of Audi. I know Mac has their issues but they are taking risks and pushing the limits.

I would buy a Pista in a heart beat but not an F8, I dont care if it has the same engine. If I am spending over 350k on a car I want something special.

With this said I could care less what some writer thinks who will likely never own one and can barely push a car around a track.

16. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    No hate here brother! Iooooove my spider,very disappointed what going public has done to ferrari,feel exactly same as U with purchasing,i have been offered F8 for Dec.delivery no interest, now PISTA in heartbeat! Couldn’t care less about writer, there was more of a respectable way of getting the point across.

Gh21631 likes this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Never been a critic of RACE. We would never have had Monza or Icona series full stop, forthcoming Big Brother - which I have a feeling will be an amazing car, may not have seen an 812 Spider which promises to be one of the most epic cars to come from Maranello in a generation. And that is just the additional product launched in an 18 month period. I don’t believe Ferrari is fundamentally changed, at least in terms of my experience as a customer, except that I have a lot more products to choose from. They are not like Toyota in any way, save one. They are very very good at what they do. I can cope with that bit.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Perfectly fine actually - couldn't find the article where they said that so could you please provide the link or a photo of the page to validate?

Frankly, rather than getting bogged down discussing some journo's derogatory reference to a Camry I'd be more interested in hearing about the on track differences between F8 and Pista and the real world performance numbers comparing the two.

Lukeylikey, F140C and anishka like this.
  19. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I do not care about the opinion of a journalist. I do feel, however, that Ferrari's main stream offerings have become more emotionally muted over the years. Is this in response to increased regulartory need or in response to what it perceives as the current buyer's desire for a more "user friendly" vehicle. Suspect it is the latter. Still great performance but much less visceral in nature.
    I recognized this trend years ago with the introduction of cup holders, cruise control and infotainment systems.

20. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Couldn't have said it any better and it's a pleasure to come across rational posts like yours.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  21. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I think Porsche are likely a good model for a public Ferrari. We'll see Ferrari's version of the Macan all over the place and the mid-engine cars will be available to anyone save for some special editions which will carry the cachet to those in the know and for those that have the appropriate buying history.

But I don't think anyone really loses that much in this scenario. The Ferrari shield won't be a rare sight anymore so that dilutes the exclusive brand power but not enough to offset the benefits of selling a lot of cars.

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    And you know this how? Better in what sense- exclusivity or driving dynamics? Cannot be the latter since you obviously have not driven the F8.

23. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Shadow Fax motor trend June 2019 issue pg 20!

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Try and get an 812 Spider which is my point.

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    We shall see and I hope your right.