Clear Bra | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastlane lp640

Dec 27, 2009
    So Cal
    On a new 812 Superfast is there any reason to not do a full car Xpel ultimate pro clear bra. What are the pros and cons of full car clear wrap.

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

PPF the entire car for peace of mind. I did and couldn't be happier.

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Nope the only draw back is the expense

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The con is it doesn't look as nice as paint, edges build up dirt (can't wrap every one unless you do a ton of disassembly). Even then I'm not sure you can wrap around the sharpest edges.

Also can still chip the paint through the film and I've heard stories of the paint pulling off when it's removed but that may just be that it was removed improperly, not sure.

Biggest turn off for me is the look, though I've been standing next to a car that half the people I was with could not even see it unless pointed out so maybe I'm just too picky.

LARRYH and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    My 812 will be fully wrapped in June when it arrives. I only did the front half on my F12 including mirrors, A-pillars, door rockers, etc. I wished I had done the entire car. Learned my lesson and fully wrapped my Performante.

My installer recently told me, that unlike my F12, the full hood can be done. The F12 left two smaller corners unwrapped and it drove me nuts. Not sure if this has been resolved, but I am guessing it probably has.

As far as dust/dirt build up on the edges of the film goes, I actually find this rather easy to remove. I take a microfiber towel and gently jam it into the edge of the film using my thumbnail. Fast, and works like a charm.

6. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've never liked PPF. It's ugly - I don't care how good a job the installer does, it never looks as good as paint. I pulled it off my F430 when I bought it and will not be putting it on my 812 when it arrives next spring.

LARRYH and INTMD8 like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Keep in mind, all this plastic eventually fades and has to come off.

LARRYH likes this.
  8. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    If you leave it on too long, it bonds with the paint and then it is a nightmare to get off.

docf likes this.
  9. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Not really , just apply heat then peel off much easier .. I had it on all my cars ..

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

10. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    I have a friend who had it on his car for 14 years. He took a to professional to have it removed. Started coming off in very small pieces. After 40 minutes he gave up and said he couldn't do it. He took it to another professional and he wanted to grind it off and repaint the whole front of the car. My friend left it on the car and traded for something else.

11. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    What is considered to long? How often should be replaced

12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    5yrs or < according to my detailer. Potentially becomes more difficult as it adheres to the paint increasing pull away. I've gone longer with no problem , but I really sweated the removal.

schwoo and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sounds right. A lot depends on how much sun the car gets.

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Samething with me for one ferrari paint needs a good paint correction first then with age the PPF just looks bad to me i can see the difference from day one so no PPF or very little for me may the front bumper only

15. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Apply steam. I us McCullagh (Amazon). No worries with paint coming off. Make sure you remove the film 20 degrees from the the paint surface to avoid paint coming off with the film. Go slow until you get a feel for it.