Squeaking brakes 488 Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Squeaking brakes 488 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DanLux72, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Ive had carbon ceramics on my 911 turbo s, huracan and mclaren 650s, non squeals like the 488. Only 650 squealed a little after a track day when I hit the brakes and it goes away after a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My Scud, 458, 2 F12’s and now 488 all have had brake squeal from the factory! Don’t think it’s something Ferrari is too concerned about..
    Best, Paul

3. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I'm now at 7000+ miles on my 2018 488, drive aggressively on occasion, but to date have not experienced the squeaks, nor the braking issues reported by a few owners. My first service is coming due in a month, I'll have it checked, obviously mine is defective......

Jim

Viperjoe likes this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well I am at 1650 miles now and the squeaks have receded and I am not getting them. Not sure why they stopped but I haven't heard them for a while now and I have been listening because I see this thread popping up a lot.

5. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Keep in mind my car never saw this noise until you had some heat in the car, a 10-15 minute drive wouldn't' really do it unless you were stopping enough to get some heat in the brakes.

6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

1300 miles on my 2018 488GTB and by the grace of God the brakes are as quiet as a church mouse. I do not track the car, only clean the wheels and tires with warm soapy water and never use tire shine or any similar products. Ditto for my 458; never a peep.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Mine would do it right off the bat just driving around town.

8. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Generally mine would do it super minor without a little heat in them.

9. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Exactly, never use silicone based products (like many tire shines) on or near ceramic brakes.

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There is no excuse for the squeaking brakes. I have owned 2 Porsches ( Turbo and Turbo S) with CCB, Lamborghini Balboni , and Performante, none of which squeaked.

11. dugnang

dugnang Rookie

Apr 8, 2012
    California
    Full Name:
    Doug Smith
    My 2018 488 Spider has been squeaking since I picked it up, I have had it in 3 times and they just cleaned and said its normal. The car back in now for service and recall issues and I pushed them on the break squeak again. Now they are telling me the only thing that will stop it is new pads, at my expense. I only have 1500 miles on the car, this is insane. My 430, 458 never squeaked and my McLaren 600lt doesn't either. This seems insane, no way should a car of this caliber sound like a piece of junk. Anyone actually get it fixed or brakes replaced? Software update?

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You can chamfer the edges of the pads and that helps a bit. Personally, I am not a big fan of the practice, but I also am used to performance brakes and braking noise. When I bought my 458, the pads had the leading and trailing edges cut down at about a 458 degree angle. I initially thought the pads were defective or chipped, but the dealer said they do it for a lot of customers that don't like the brake squealing noise.

I would imagine you have to use a grinder to chamfer the edges, but that might be something to look into further.

Also, you might read what is involved in breaking in those Brembo pads. As I recall, the procedure is pretty harsh and involved. Perhaps your pads were not correctly broken in after installation?

Ray

13. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apparently I have been super lucky. Neither my 458 nor my 488 squeal even a little bit, ever!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    California and 458 squealed like pigs with a high pitch. Bedded the brakes properly with several high speed/brake runs to no avail.

Huracan's CCB's are dead silent.

15. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    My Speciale (which I think has the same brake system than the 488) used to squeak. About 2 years ago, I took it to the dealer and they cleaned the pads and rotated them (installed right on left side and vice versa). That solved the problem for me. Lately, occasionally has some minor squeak but typically goes away after I wash the car and dry the brakes by driving and braking in reverse. I can’t explain why, but has worked for me.
    Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk