California - AVH system failure, CST system failure & Manetinno failure | FerrariChat

California - AVH system failure, CST system failure & Manetinno failure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by XSSSIVE, Feb 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Had my first problem with my California today. AHV system failure, CST system failure and Manetinno failure all together.

I took a quick video with my iPhone:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQn63KHXJEY[/ame]

Has anyone else had these problems? I turned the car off and restarted without the problem reoccurring. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

2. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Xsssive,

I have had a few failure lights such as CST hasn't happened for quit a while. Initially took to the dealer and they told me to pretty much do what you did which is to turn the ignition off then restart. If that doesn't work then they showed me how to disconnect the battery under the hood an then reconnect. I have never had to disconnect the battery though.

I haven't seen the menetino failure light before.

Another cause of failure lights coming on is if your battery has a low charge. I normally leave my car with the dealer when I travel so this hasn't been issue. However, I am away for a month at the moment and have left my car in my garage and am using the Ferrari trickle charger that comes in the car cover bag you get with the car. I have seen on other threads that this isn't much good - so maybe I will get back and the car won't start or I'll get lots of warning lights!! Will keep you posted.

Anyway, just love my car - 10,000km in 7 months and I drive it as my daily driver whenever I'm back in Australia.

David

Beach Boy likes this.
  3. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    David,

Thank you for the reply. I don't think it was caused by a low battery. It had been on a trickle charger and had been driven for about an hour just prior to getting the error failures.

I hope to drive the car a few more times before our next snow storms hit.

4. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    #4 Xeron, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    I had this exact same problem on my 2010 California last week. I brought it to the dealer yesterday, they viewed the error logs and the common denominator was a "Brake switch". It was subsequently replaced and we shall see.

Also, how did you get the sirius/XM station to manifest in the TFT display?

Beach Boy likes this.
  5. ScuderiaDallas

ScuderiaDallas Karting

Jul 25, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ive had the same issue on my California couple of times especially after cold start. All it takes is turning the car off and restarting. But I have to agree it is nerve wrecking when it first happened.

Beach Boy likes this.
  6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Figured out one reason for this error. Today I turned off my Cali, but she was in reverse rather than 1st gear.

Anyway when I restarted her, she threw these error codes. Shut down and restarted and everything was fine.

Lesson: Unitl the software is fixed always shut down in 1st.

Beach Boy and DMantooth like this.
  7. Mrosenthal

Mrosenthal Rookie

Nov 21, 2011
    S. Florida
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I had the same issue only once. I started the car and every warning light and warning screen came up. I shut off the key and restarted, all was well and I haven't had the problem since (over 5 mos).

Xeron - there is a setting in the TFT display menu to make the audio mode appear.

Beach Boy likes this.
  8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    It seems to me my 2010 had a ton of lights twice in 29,500 miles. A turn off and restart fixed it so I see it as a simple software/hardware timing problem that MIGHT happen once in a blue moon.

My Mercedes S550 (gone now) had similar problems much more often, like the gas guage going to zero for an hour or so on a long trip, then magically starting to work again, plus random warning lights that would also go away on a restart.

Then I could tell you the stories with Government Motors Cadillacs that still are in their software today, and have been for probably 12 or more years. The California is FAR better than either of these when it comes to intermittent startup glitches.

Rick

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I think it might be due to random voltage spikes. I had this happen to me today. I realized I had left the lights on and didn't switch them off before starting. The lights don't stay on or drain the battery while the ignition is off but I think the spike from starting when the lights come on simultaneously is what did it. Like others, I turned the car off, Googled the warning and found this thread, restarted and all was fine.

Beach Boy likes this.
  10. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    My car went into the same state yesterday, I believe it is voltage related

It was worrying when it happened to me, in heavy rain in regional Italy hundreds of miles from a dealer

I let the car idle for 20 mins to recharge the battery then turned the car off and restarted and it was fine

I also get an error where the cars systems "crash", the car starts as normal but the instruments are in an error mode

The car will drive off and the tacho and SES works fine, but the transmission indicator say P for Park while the car is moving and the other checks dont complete such as the "check ok" or tire pressures

I fix that one by removing the quick release battery terminal for 30 seconds and reconnect and it "reboots" without issue

Beach Boy likes this.
  11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    IIRC,the manettino failure mode is actually in the the operating manual. The fix is to restart. I've seen this a few times i n17 months and all were cleared with a restart. I tend to agree with Darryl that it is a glitch but almost certainly a sw bug where independent systems come up in the wrong order. In the few times I've seen this the car the was cold...

SV

Beach Boy likes this.
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    switch the manetinno to another setting and shut the car off and restart. If the manetinno is anywhere close to the next setting it will read a failure. The switch is sensitive, make sure it "clicks" into place.

13. ehrst

ehrst Karting

Jun 20, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    sse
    Software problem. Has happened several times to me over last 3 years. Always corrects with restart which effectively reboots the systems. May be sensitive or precipitated by voltage or other issues but occurs spontaneously as well. Dealer has never found the exact cause or given me any reasonable explanation. Luckily not a major problem.

Beach Boy likes this.
  14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just had this happen. Was switching the manettino from Race to Sport. Went into Wet mode, no ABS, no ESC, flashing Go To Dealer.

Thankful for this thread to calm me down. Turned off a second time, waited about 1 min, back on and fine like it never happened.

Beach Boy and montegoblue like this.
  15. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Hi, happened to me in my 2009 Cali last year. Read a load of similar reports on the web about these 3 warnings suddenly flagging up being related to low voltage, software glitches etc. However, what I can say is that at least in my case (and one other person out there on the web), it was found to be a faulty brake (pedal) switch. Problem now gone after the brake switch replaced. If you get the diagnostics checked, there will hopefully be a fault code on there attributable to the brake switch to confirm this. Hope you get it fixed whatever it turns out to be.

Sent from my SM-G955F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Beach Boy and ryalex like this.
  16. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    The day I discovered this post I had my first warning lights on my 7.000kms old Cali Turbo: alternator and shifters. What a coincidence ! The car was still fine with no sign of any problem at all. Just parked. Ignition OFF/ON and gone.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Did it again today, but the warning stayed on this time. They think it's the brake switch.

18. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    It's good to hear that they mentioned the brake switch to you. It's just so many times I've seen "bad battery, do you keep it on trickle charge?.... .." (I even had that from the dealership that serviced my car when I purchased it...). It was a well established independent in London who quickly and correctly diagnosed it for me. We need to spread the word as this seems to be a really common problem, but an easy fix!
    Sent from my SM-G955F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Beach Boy likes this.
  19. RAY R

RAY R Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    ray rama
    Hi Mate, My California 2011 couldnt start and has Electrical system failure,AVH failure,Immobiliser malfunction,CST failure, Manettino failure. Car is not cranking at all.

20. Oliver Stockton

Jun 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Oliver Stockton
    Hi Ray,

Did you solve the problem? It happens to me pretty much every time I take the car out. I replaced the battery which helped for a few trips but now it’s back, every trip. Battery is on trickle charge. I’m going to change the brake pedal switch at next service and cross my fingers. It’s annoying because when it happens the car defaults to ‘comfort’ and the brakes feel relatively spongy. I assume it’s a ‘get me home’ mode.

Beach Boy likes this.
  21. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The couple of times it happened to me it was because I did not wait a few seconds between turning the key on and hitting the start button. I just turned the key and hit start. The various ECUs are all checking in and sometimes if you start too quickly, it goes haywire and throws a bunch of weird errors.

After about 5 seconds you will hear three quick beeps which lets you know it's time to start her up.

22. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I used to have the problem with my 2010 Cali. Fixed with new battery and then I went with the CTEK charger in snowflake mode. Good so far...about two years. Good now. I remember how frustrating it was when I took it out and got the failure.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. Oliver Stockton

Jun 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Oliver Stockton

24. Oliver Stockton

Jun 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Oliver Stockton
    Mine does it after start up sometimes, under braking, while coasting, under acceleration. Sometimes 30 mins into a drive and sometimes 3. I read about not turning the ignition off while in reverse. I don’t understand that one but will try it because I always reverse into the garage. I am now not leaving the headlights on auto to see if that works but I doubt it because why would it do it into a journey? I’m pinning my hopes on the brake switch as that makes more sense in my situation.

sherrillt likes this.
  25. kevintt911

kevintt911 Rookie

Nov 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    kevin tran

did you fix the problem, where is the brake switch located on the pedal or the auto brake switch, thank you