2019 Barcelona GP Pre-Race discussion | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2019 Barcelona GP Pre-Race discussion

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yes (Todt)

william likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

It is a failure already this tactic.

3. DF1

Yes he should now drive a bit more when he can for himself. Fully agree.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, I hope Nicholas Todt will defend Leclerc's case at Ferrari, and insist that his client isn't kept on a leash anymore.

Charles Leclerc seems level-headed and fast enough to demonstrate Vettel's flaws.

I am very impressed by his attitude so far.

Nortonious, Nembo1777 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I genuinely don't think ferrari will achieve anything this year by favouring one driver over the other, no matter which one they favour.

They'll find a way to screw up.

New parts this week. If it doesn't work it's game over.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Lewis has seen several times that he can be a few points down by mid season, and still end up on top.
    Lewis has seen that if he keeps his head down and keeps his cool, that the others can and often do disintegrate around him.

Surfah, johnireland, william and 3 others like this.
  7. DF1

Common sense dictates their policy was too early implemented lol. Much too early. The stated goal before a single race is run to favor one is only a prescription for confusion when the common sense in the press and others was Charles would be equal or faster. Idiotic.

Bas, Ferrari 308 GTB and william like this.
  8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    This season is between Leclerc and Hamilton. Leclerc in a sloppy team with an inconsistent car. Hamilton in the best car and team in F1. Leclerc doesn't have "years" to get his chance. There is only the now. And if Ferrari can't give him a winning car and full support this year then he should go to Mercedes. Riccardo gave Red Bull "a few years"...and Red Bull gave those years to Max. Now Ricco is a has been at Renault. Alonzo gave Ferrari years and it led nowhere.

I think Mercedes would dump Bottas and give Charles his seat in a minute. And it wouldn't matter what Hamilton said because they'd now have a driver who is just as fast and a lot younger and fresher. If Hamilton threatened to walk...where could he go but Ferrari. Of course Hamilton has the clout to make Ferrari clean house and rebuild like their hair was on fire. And Ferrari would have to take Hamilton...there isn't any other truly fast driver. Meantime Mercedes would have a young driver who is at the beginning of his career and already one of the best two on the grid. As for Max, I think his career will be a one team event. Its a perfect marriage.

DF1 likes this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hamilton has talked about quiting various times so you're right they'd take Leclerc (or Verstappen) in a heartbeat. Yes they'd risk Elton walking earlier but....so what? As you say a driver that can easily do the things he does will take his place.

For now it looks like the championship will be very much between Bottas and Elton. Unless Ferrari's update works this weekend it's another write off and they might win the occasional race. I think Red Bull coming with parts also this weekend....

stavura, william, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Agree. The young man is doing very well keeping some obvious frustration from showing much (but it is there). I like Seb, really want(ed) him to have every chance to succeed, but not at the expense of the overall team or Leclerc's chances.

A driver's mind needs to be uncluttered. Leclerc should be allowed to focus on driving his best and winning races...and I'm also at the point that if "team orders" are holding him up he may just need to seize the day and stand atop the podium, protected by the armour victory provides.

11. DF1

Super well said. Agreement among many for Charles to seize this NOW moment!!

william likes this.
  12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    At this point in the season, it seems that the WDC will come down to who gets past turn one first, Hamilton or Bottas. That sounds pretty exciting, doesn't it?

Ryan... and 375+ like this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The plan was to go into the season favoring Vettel with the expectation that based on his experience and knowledge of the team he had the greater chance of accumulating the most points.

With that having been disproved (I hope they're smart enough to realize that) they better let them race freely going forward and only give team orders to protect a 1-2 finish.

DF1, Bas and william like this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A team shouldn't give team orders from race one.
    I agree with team orders later in the season (after 15 races?) if one of the drivers is well ahed of his team mate, and can still mathematically wins the championship.

DF1, ingegnere and Bas like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    if that was their plan why did they need Leclerc at all and potentially (now confirmed) disrupt team order....what a bizarre situation Ferrari got themselves into:

they want to support their #1 guy, so got rid of the guy he was good friends with, was close to him performance wise AND seemed ok with the status quo in the team....on top of all that that #2 provided excellent feedback. They got rid of all that...to work a younger guy with great ambitions into the team to get him in for what can only possibly be described as being on first name basis with the guys in the team? Learning can be done elsewhere.

If Ferrari wanted both guys to race each other...that's fine, but surely you also only do this if you're utterly convinced you've build an absolute rocketship that'll destroy the opposition....who gambles their first chance at a title away after more than 10 years on that unlikely situation? Ferrari just continues to shoot themselves into their foot. It's hard to feel sorry for them any longer. I love the team but I'm sitting here in utter disbelief.

william, Finlander, DF1 and 4 others like this.
  16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Ferrari is already thinking in the post-Vettel era. They're giving him a last chance, but if Leclerc is as good as some say, natural selection will do his stuff. So far, it's quite even, with one major ****up for each one.

375+, william and Bas like this.
  17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    If Ferrari is so unhappy with him like people say why would Ferrari try to keep him at all costs and force him to fulfill his contract? If he wants to leave and Ferrari has enough time to look for a new driver I doubt that he needs to pay anything. Just like Alonso Seb is aware that the title at Ferrari will most likely not come any more and Ferrari might ruin the next career by chasing the title for another 5 years.
    Because although he might be a talent it is questionable whether Leclerc will succeed in where Alonso and Vettel failed when the car is simply not good enough...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

stavura and Bas like this.
  18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't mind Ferrari considering Seb their primary driver. It makes objective sense. But twice now they've tried to use Charles as a spoiler to no effect, and in the process cost him a place. That needs to stop.

ingegnere likes this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    It does make objective sense but at the same time it shows they're overthinking things and complicating race management by trying to accommodate every possible scenario and this will be a waste of effort and impact the efficiency of their (already limited) decision making.

Also, unlike when Schumacher was head and shoulders above his teammate and so logical to favor him, this is definitely not the case with Vettel so favoring him, even at the beginning of the season, is just not smart.

DF1 and G. Pepper like this.
  20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ferrari need to make the car better on its tires. Pirelli, unlike with MB, aren’t going to do SF any favors. Devoting energy to favoring drivers is a complete waste. Better get it together soon!

stavura and DF1 like this.
  21. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
  22. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The only decision is to let them race until one driver is clearly leading in points. Ferrari should have known better than to pin their hopes in SV after the two blazing failure seasons he had. Max is more than happy to take points Ferrari are leaving all over the place.

stavura, Surfah, DF1 and 6 others like this.
  23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Look at it not as an expense, but as an investment in PR. They don´t build them for their crew but for guests and sponsors.

Jakuzzi and DF1 like this.