Leclerc "Having A Negative Effect" On Ferrari | FerrariChat

Leclerc "Having A Negative Effect" On Ferrari

Discussion in 'F1' started by aaronrgonz, May 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Villeneuve should Wind his neck in !!!

Charles Leclerc is the ONLY positive thing at Ferrari this year so far.

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sounds like grade school politics

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My thoughts are....

I never pay attention to what this guy ever says, ever.

5. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    IMHO He is right and it did happen more publicly with Merc a couple years ago.
    Ferrari doesn't know how to handle the situation properly, crystal clear to me and races do prove this with the strategy
    Jacques can be arrogant and a meat head, lol, however for once he is right IMHO

Senna1994 and of2worlds like this.
  6. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Please tell me Ferrari didn't know this going in (LOL)...…. everyone knew LEC would challenge VET. If they wanted a number 2 driver, they should have stuck with KIMI.

walnut, dflett, Nembo1777 and 2 others like this.
  7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ferrari hired LeClerc because they hoped he would be fast, more aggressive, would push Vettel, and would compete for more points from the Mercedes drivers. The fact that he is fast and not a distant #2 is a good thing. Ferrari, I think, are also looking further ahead to a time when Vettel might not be there - LeClerc is the future and eventually will be the #1 driver.

What does Villeneuve want LeClerc to do? Be slower? Of course LeClerc didn't get pounded for his qualifying mistake in Baku: he took responsibility for it with humility, and presently has the learning space all newish F1 drivers get. It's different when a driver with multiple world championships makes a big mistake because we expect them to have the talent and experience to avoid them.

All the best,
    Andrew.

ATBNM3, Robb, sammysaber and 4 others like this.
  8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I think JV is 100% correct. Hamilton has an inferior teammate and will walk away with the series once again. He’s not remotely worried about Bottas, he can cover him at will. Vettel has a fight on his hands as does Leclerc. Their points and risks will come with a toll, it already has, they’re both overdriving with the mindset they need to steal every point they can get. Senna knew this ages ago when he vetoed Warwick at Lotus, the team couldn’t handle a number one and an equally quick no.2. JV isn’t advising Leclerc doesn’t deserve the ride, he’s stating the obvious from what we’ve seen already, if Ferrari had ‘the car’ this year, it was bad timing to make a move, Leclerc could have stayed at Alfa this season with a promise he’d have the seat in 2020, thereby keeping him on ice.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Ferrari does not seem to have the car anyway :(

Robb and Isobel like this.
  10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    His hair choices and music display his credibility. Lolol

I think his point really is that as many of us have said here that Ferrari don’t know how to manage two cars.

John_K_348, Isobel and william like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

From a spectator's point of view, it's good if Leclerc starts to challenge team orders and attack Vettel, the same at Mercedes between Hamilton and Botas.
    That's what we need to spice up the show, I think. For years F1 followers have complained of races without action.
    If Max can join, we would have 5 cars and drivers in the mix, bringing a few overtakes, some duels on the track, etc ... all for the good of the sport.

Of course, if one is only interested in Vettel, that's different; in that case, Leclerc is the fly in the ointment.

Thecadster, Jeronimo GTO and Isobel like this.
  12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    If one looks for the years to come the move from Leclerc to Ferrari was good as Leclerc can mature at Ferrari rather than an inferior team learning to win races.
    If one looks at this year alone it was too early... ok Ferrari will not win the WDC or WCC anyway as it looks like but Seb and Charles taking points away from each other will never be able to beat the Mercedes. If the car was good enough it might have ended like McLaren in 2007 when Kimi "stole " the title because Lewis and Fernando were more busy with each other than the rest. Two equal drivers only works when the car is superior, if Nico was still at Mercedes instead of Bottas Ferrari might have won one of the last two years but with Mercedes concentrating on one driver they did not. This year a battle Bottas/Hamilton might work because by now the Mercedes is unbeatable (unlike the last two years)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Senna1994 and sammysaber like this.
  13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Leclerc deserves the seat and he deserves to fight Vettel tooth and nail. All Ferrari has to do is give him a fast and reliable car and then get out of his way. At this point in the season...if Ferrari scores wins it will be with Leclerc and because of him.

polishhammer83 and william like this.
  14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    What Ferrari needs to do right now is pull their heads out of their asses and stop with trying to outwit
    Mercedes-Benz on tire strategies. Rather than these cockamamy schemes where Leclerc and Vettel
    seem to be constantly on the wrong tires at the wrong times, why not try to emulate M-B and beat them
    on pace?

Clearly, Leclerc is on the up and a future World Champion whereas Vettel seems to have lost the plot.
    But, for sure, neither of them are going to be successful unless or until the braintrust on the pit wall
    stops with the nonsense and gets with the program.

BHW

Thecadster, william and Bas like this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Which begs the question, if Ferrari really just wanted another #2 for Vettel why bother swapping Kimi for Leclerc at all? They had him under a contract anyways so couldn't have been stolen by another team unless for a huge sum

I'm 360 Canuck, Robb and william like this.
  16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Seb has done nothing for Ferrari. Seb is the unbalanced part of the team. Have I mentioned Seb Sucks lately? SS.

ATBNM3, parkem and william like this.
  17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    FIFY

18. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Seb is protecting the car. He is also protecting himself after the stupid mistakes last year. Charles fouled up on the medium tire. Everything after that was the cascade effect. Seb still managed P3. If they had been more aggressive like W. Buxton wrote on Formula1.com, maybe they could have had a shot? The problem is, the car still has issues with set up. I really think SF made a design choice to go for low drag aero this year. What happened to the power? With all the power, there should have been room for downforce, no? I used to think SF split up Seb and Kimi to go with a junior/senior line up in both teams. The lack of testing and rule enforcement in the power unit area has stymied SF chances of pushing in that area and maintaining pace. This last point is kinda simplistic, but look at the triangular intake scoop. Maybe it could be bigger for more cool air under the engine cover to allow harder running? Was this a silly sacrifice for low drag that isn't doing any good? Was SF backed up in quali with tires, being forced to use the mediums when LeClerc crashed? Why did they use the mediums? Was it to wait for MB to pit and try to go long in the race? For the longest straight of the year, that was really disappointing for any real passing up front.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They took the Bahrain GP control electronics off and switched to an old unit (last years?) as far as I know. I can only assume the part is unreliable. If that's the key to their speed they better fix it quick....

The Barcelona update HAS to work and they better fix the engine Canada latest. They can get away with Monaco.

20. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Aha, that could be it.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The thing about Ferrari is that it's feast or famine. After Scheckter in '79. nothing until the Schu's run, and Kimi in '07. We are only 12 years since Kimi won. So don't expect much until 2028. :(

Oh, and have I mentioned, oh never mind.

Bas likes this.
  22. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Let the kid loose

23. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It’s not leclerc.

It’s the managers and strategists...

Team orders suck. Get in and hammer down.

Robb

24. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

One dude in charge isn’t good for ferrari

william likes this.
  25. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Ferrari got themselves a hot young shoe and have no idea how to manage him . When they get out of their coma and figure out what they really want to do , maybe the team has a chance to score some wins . Till then , mass confusion .

cairns, ATBNM3, Robb and 1 other person like this.