Swap 430 manual for 458? | FerrariChat

Swap 430 manual for 458?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedTaxi, May 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The depreciation/appreciation curve means I could swap my 430 manual for a 458. And honestly I've seen 488's for only 20k more than 458's. (in our market) For those who have experienced both, would you do it? I love my 430 manual and except for my previous 360F1 I have never owned a car that was not manual trans. The extra hp and the DCT has me wondering. I don't track my Ferrari, I have another car for that.
    Thoughts.....
    Just realised after writing that, the response will be go drive a 458 and make up your own mind!

2. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I would absolutely not swap my manual for a paddle shifter- but thats just me, part of owning a car like this is the engagement with those 3 pedals.

one4torque and 360trev like this.
  3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Me neither.

That's why when choosing what to do about this conundrum I opted to compliment my gated Ferrari with something with dual clutch and high hp. That car ended up being a McLaren after I drove one and was highly impressed at how light and agile it felt.

My gated Ferrari is a keeper.

one4torque likes this.
  4. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    OP. I’ve owned both. They’re both incredible cars.

The 458 is a piece of art. Blistering performance. A supercar in every sense of the word. I’d never say anything against it (well the accelerator pedal sensitivity gets tiresome in traffic). It’s the most beautiful car imaginable, IMO. The stunning blonde that walks into the party and everyone stops to stare...

I sold the 458. Was very sad to see it go. Watched that gorgeous ass disappear, the blonde ponytail swishing in the sunlight...

But I kept my 430 gated coupe. It’s all of the above. But so so much more engaging. It’s the best car I’ve ever owned. I won’t sell it. Ever.

Like a brunette - a real keeper. I can’t keep my hands off it. Every time I slip into her and pump through those gears, its like my first time ever. Over and over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

espvh, Fenz, aseweepay and 2 others like this.
  5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    You should consider a second career writing for Harlequin romance.....a very impressive description above :)

espvh, paulchua, TheDiffuser and 4 others like this.
  6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Wow. A 1960s description for 21st century cars! But I agree 100 per cent with the sentiment. I have pondered swapping my gated 430 for a 458 and decided against it.

But for fairness it might be interesting to post this question on the 458 board.

7. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Lol, love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Feel free to pimp it to the 458 forum - they need some lovin’ over there!

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You can drive a 458 on track w some different outfits.. might help your decision,

I suggest they are different cars.... only share the f badge.

Ideally own both.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  10. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Personally, I would stick with the stick in this case, not just because it's a manual but because it is more unique. 458 is great, but they are pretty common. Also, if you want to go modern, I'd rather do a 488, which is a ton faster.

11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I love my Apple Watch, it tells me when I have a meeting, what the weather will be like, etc., but I harbor no illusions that it will serve any useful function beyond a paperweight in a decade. My analog watches will still be ticking along as dutifully as the day they were made.

You can and should keep a manual 360 or 430 forever. Buy amazing modern cars like the 458 to compliment the older ones, not replace them.

mpatrizio, ASK328, ShineKen and 3 others like this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    How about a Scud or a 991.2 GT3?

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Every time I see a 458 going down the road, I can't stop thinking about it for a week. I absolutely love the look and performance of that car! However, a hard prerequisite of car ownership for me is that when I put my foot on the brake, the car actually stops.

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    458's don't stop... With those huge ceramic brakes? :eek:

15. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i would save up to buy the 458 in additional to the manual f430. there's a lot of 458 around and u can always buy one later

one4torque likes this.
  16. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Several 458/488 owners have experienced complete brake failure at speed. Others have had their brakes completely lock up on them (typically when stationary after a restart). People have died from this. Lots of information in the 458/488/F8 section.

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Any more detail on the source of failure? Leak? Seal? Master cyl? Abs unit? Elec module? That’s a hefty claim to make.

18. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Ahhhhhh hopefully this is not an issue on the 430. My drives get a bit .... spirited!!!

19. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Scary!!!

20. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    Your F430 manual will be worth more than a 458 in about a year. 458's are continuing to naturally depreciate, while 430's seem to have bottomed out. Don't sell that car, or you will regret it when the first manual F430 sells for north of $200k.

I've been watching the used car values in the Porsche world, since they didn't make the mistake (IMHO) of eliminating the pure manual gearbox, and the manuals seem to carry a premium of almost 10% over their PDK counterparts.

When I bought my F430, if I had been able to find a manual, I would have jumped on it. I just couldn't find one.

Moreover, I would have overlooked many of the flaws or issues that might or might not have come up in a PPI, just to have the manual.

I genuinely think that the manual F430 is about to go up in value exponentially.

Tamahal, Dewinator and TheDiffuser like this.
  21. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    SoftwareDrone - can you cite your sources links etc. You May be right in what you say, but you’ve been quiet on supplying the data.

Thanks.

22. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    In a heartbeat......The 458 is twice the car IMHO

23. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just visited this thread after a long time. Just browse the 458 section.