What are my options: cam timing belt and cogs replacement? | FerrariChat

What are my options: cam timing belt and cogs replacement?

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, May 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Other than the Forza system, are there any other cam cog/belt systems available that use a more modern timing belt?

And,
    Any input on any of the options would be appreciated.

Getting ready for a
    motor upgrade.

Thanks,
    Doug
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I think there is another fchatter here that has made some.
    Unfortunately we are currently out of stock on that item.
    I'll add my two cents here, do some homework on how the pullies are MFG. As an engineer and due to legal reasons here in the USA we use hob stock that is MFG with hobs that are licensed from Gates for the modern tooth profile. Anything else is a risk, how much of one? Hard to say, premature wear, loose tolerances etc.. just something worth noting.

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Doug, I have a few sets left of the adjustable round tooth (HTD) pulleys. Check in the for sale section or search cam pulleys for photos and discussions. I also have a couple of sets of the original square tooth adjustable pulleys that I got back from people who switched to round tooth.

The original Uniroyal patent on HTD synchronous drives expired a few years ago so Gates made slight changes and patented their GT2 drive. They made it backwards compatible so they could sell GT2 belts to the installed base of HTD pulleys. Anyone can make HTD pulleys (and everyone does.) My HTD pulleys can use both the GT2 belts, like the Gates racing belts, or any other make/type of 8mm HTD belt (Gates, Contitech, Dayco, etc.)

4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    What belts (belt numbers) do these pulley sets use?
    Thanks,
    Doug

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    It says on the advert: Gates T201RB or 5352XS (2V) or T288RB or 5441XS (QV, 328). There are lots of other part numbers but those are a start.

6. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Duh. I have read so many threads on this, I glossed that over.
    Thanks,
    Doug