355 - Fire Extinguisher Mounting | FerrariChat

355 Fire Extinguisher Mounting

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ed Russell, May 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed Russell

Ed Russell Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ed Russell
    Recently picked up my first 355. I needed a decent way to mount a Halotron Extinguisher. Does not seem like anyone makes a mount. I put these mounting blocks together. They work pretty well. Another option I am looking at is making an aluminum bracket that attaches to the from seat bolts. Might consider producing these if there is enough interest. Need to find a production shop that take on a small project like this. Making these one off takes to much time. Anyway I have attached some pictures if anyone has any input. Also curious if other models have the same adjuster for the seats as the 355.

Thanks
    Ed
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Way to go— looks good. When I needed a mandatory bottle like yours I zip tied the same mount and placed a rag in there to keep it from rubbing.
    Yours is much cleaner and secure.

Probably lots of models with that bar 348 and 430 Scud for sure.

Ed Russell likes this.
  3. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Well engineered, nice solution, like it a lot.

I mounted my extinguisher in the same position, on the seat rail, definitely the neatest solution without drilling holes. For me the seat stays in one position anyway., just put a sleeve of rubber tubing along the seat adjustment bar, slipped the metal straps around the bar and locked in place. absolutely rock solid and very tight, so no fear of it coming loose.

I was probably very lucky that my straps were the perfect fit, which makes Ed's engineered solution much more appealing.

cheers Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB likes this.
  4. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    This is a great and clean solution. Did you end up having a bunch made? If so, do you still have any for sale?

5. Ed Russell

Ed Russell Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ed Russell
    Not yet. At this point just trying to get an idea how many people would want these. If there is enough interest I will find a production shop to make them. Also going to stop by local Ferrari shop today and see how many other cars this might fit.
    Thanks

Illyria, lanab and F1ScuderiaTifosi like this.
  6. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Sounds good. Please keep me/us updated and count me in for a set for sure.

7. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton
    Interested in purchasing these if you decide to go ahead with production.

Ken

8. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I bought these for my cars: https://elementfire.com/

Small, easy to find a place to mount, no residue on discharge, works on all kinds of fires and best of all never needs to be recharged.

F1ScuderiaTifosi likes this.
  9. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Oh wow, that is ideal!

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I did a test with them and put it one fchat, and although i have one as a backup i was not that impressed
    Do your own test with an oil fire and see if you get the same results

11. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    I'll take your word for it. I'm not a fan of wasting funds on subpar equipment.

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No dont get me wrong i would not call it sub par for gasoline it will be fine for oil not so much.
    Thats kinda what my test showed

13. Ed Russell

Ed Russell Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ed Russell
    If I get some time this week I will get some supplies and put a few sets together. Not expensive to make but they are a bit of a time suck making one offs. What do you think is a fair price?

14. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Good question. I'd have to think about it.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would think 20 to 30 bucks for a set and I will order one as well. Even though i dont need it yet

16. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    If they're anodized, $45

17. VroominNJ

VroominNJ Rookie

Sep 28, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    James
    Cost plus 20% plus shipping for the first round.

Cost plus 50% plus shipping if you hold inventory.

18. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

What size is your extinguisher? Looks great.

19. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    May I ask who made the leather sleeve on your extinguisher? It looks like it was always meant to be there.

20. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi,
    I was very lucky, when I bought the extinguisher second hand the leather cover came with it - even more lucky as it was a perfect match for the cars interior. As far as I am aware the leather sleeve and the extinguisher are one of the original period factory options, I have seen the same in 550's and other 355's, so I am assuming it is the OEM option that was offered.

I have mounted it differently, because when I bought it, the original mounting bracket was missing, I had to buy two new safety locking clips to complete.

cheers
    Mark

graeme355 likes this.
  21. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004

That was a nice find. Thanks for the reply.

22. Ed Russell

Ed Russell Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ed Russell
  23. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

24. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Did you ever have a chance to put some sets together? If so, I'd surely like to purchase 2 sets, please. :)

25. Ed Russell

Ed Russell Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ed Russell
    I never did find a place to produce these. I did pick up some stock this week and started putting a few pairs together. Pretty much just doing this for beer money. That's pretty funny actually. Guy drives Ferrari and needs beer money. Well maybe not. Anyway it takes me about a half hour to make a pair. The parts cost is pretty low. I make way better money flying 737s. Does 50 a pair sound reasonable? I hope that's what I need. Please understand I do not want to get into production. I will make them when I have down time. If anyone else wants to copy these and sell them please please do. They are simple to make just takes time. Oh and a small machine shop out back helps.

Thanks,
    Ed