Car Transportation needs | FerrariChat

Car Transportation needs

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Justicepool, May 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Hello fellow FerrariChat members,

I officially completed the purchase of my very first Ferrari from a fellow Ferrarichat member as of today. I am in Texas and the Ferrari is in Maryland having some minor things addressed at Rosso Service before shipping it back to Texas.

I contacted Reliable Transport and they replied they don't service the "transport line" I requested (Maryland to Texas?).

One week ago I booked a transport through Intercity and received a quote for roughly $2300 and was told it would take "2-3" weeks (fully refundable up until I receive the call 2-3 days before pickup).

As I'm sure some can sympathize waiting is now the hardest part. I can't believe I purchased a Ferrari. Let me say that again.....I purchased a Ferrari and a gated manual red/tan Ferrari at that! Hard to believe. I increased my initial budget by 60% to get what I really wanted instead of buying a "cheap" version of what I wanted.

Anyway let's get to the the point, I can ramble about cars forever!

Any suggestions on transport? I want a reliable enclosed transport and maybe there is nothing better (that is quicker) than waiting for Intercity to book it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

John

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Hello fellow FerrariChat members (this was also posted in the general discussion forum),

I officially completed the purchase of my very first Ferrari from a fellow Ferrarichat member as of today. I am in Texas and the Ferrari is in Maryland having some minor things addressed at Rosso Service before shipping it back to Texas.

I contacted Reliable Transport and they replied they don't service the "transport line" I requested (Maryland to Texas?).

One week ago I booked a transport through Intercity and received a quote for roughly $2300 and was told it would take "2-3" weeks (fully refundable up until I receive the call 2-3 days before pickup).

As I'm sure some can sympathize waiting is now the hardest part. I can't believe I purchased a Ferrari. Let me say that again.....I purchased a Ferrari and a gated manual red/tan Ferrari at that! Hard to believe. I increased my initial budget by 60% to get what I really wanted instead of buying a "cheap" version of what I wanted.

Anyway let's get to the the point, I can ramble about cars forever!

Any suggestions on transport? I want a reliable enclosed transport and maybe there is nothing better (that is quicker) than waiting for Intercity to book it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

John

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The main thing to watch for is whether the company works direct or brokers the deal. That and it can be a long strange trip to get to your front door.

With the snow gone, you might consider driving?

Justicepool likes this.
  4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Go get it with a turbo diesel and then back it onto a uhaul one way trailer if you’re in a hurry. Might be 5 weeks otherwise.

Contact a dealer coming out to Monterey next week and see if they can drop it off in Dallas?

Justicepool likes this.
  5. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.

I thought about that, but I don't have the free time to enjoy that drive. It is over 1700 miles and I would hate to rush it and not enjoy the drive.

6. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hi John, TF is right, do NOT use a broker. I’ve heard Horseless Carriers in NJ is good although I haven’t personally used them. There are some good threads on long distance carriers on this site. You probably already know this but whoever you choose, please make sure that close-up photos are taken all around the car prior to loading and then compared when offloading. Good luck with the move.

7. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I used Intercity and was very happy with them, though that price sounds a bit high. You might also contact a Thomas C Sunday who I believe are based in PA. Perhaps they run some southern routes. Have heard good things about them.

8. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I would wait it out with Intercity they are far the best - used them numerous times and have always been very happy withe their service.

9. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Drive it back!

10. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I just bought a 65 Vette in NJ and had it delivered on Wednesday to CA. Brand new fully enclosed transport truck. Took 6 days to get it to me and picked it up the day after i placed the order. They charged me $1500. The transportation company was “Door to Door Transport”. They were recommended by the Vette dealer. I have nothing but good things to say about them. The owners name is Roy. 954 639 9411.

Texas Forever and Justicepool like this.
  11. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Plycar is the answer!!

Justicepool likes this.
  12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I used Plycar before as well when I got my Ferrari from Florida. I called them this time but I decided to go with Door to Door because they were faster and cheaper and were recommended by the Vette dealer. As I said, it was a great experience and it was a brand new enclosed truck. So it doesnt get any better than that.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever and Justicepool like this.
  13. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Another vote for Intercity. I've used them several times without incident. The last time I met them at the Petersen Museum in LA. They were unloading cars for the new exhibit, Hollywood Dream Machines. If Intercity is good enough for the Petersen, they're good enough for me.

14. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    Very nice looking Corvette.

RonH likes this.
  15. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I use a broker in Texas. Always been a good experience both open and enclosed. Last few cars Texas to CA enclosed was $975 and Alabama to CT was $900 enclosed. Both great experiences. If you want his contact, let me know.

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I ship quite a few cars and I have used the same broker for years. They have been reliable, fast and prices are great. The last car I did was a McLaren in Houston:

Saw the ad Sunday
    Called dealer on Monday...... negotiated 10 mins. Sold
    Funded on Tuesday.
    Picked up Wednesday
    in AZ by Friday

PM me if you want his info.

17. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I contacted several (Reliable never even got back to me) and was very happy with Select One. They kept in contact with me all through the process and their price was reasonable.

Jay Colunga

Operations/Customer Service

888 West Big Beaver Rd Suite 350

Troy, MI 48083

248-972-8605- Direct

734-558-6299- Mobile

734-413-8858- Fax

[email protected]

18. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I would ask how many times will the car be loaded/offloaded. Those truck drivers are rough on sports car clutches.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I've used Intercity and have been happy with them. The price does seem high but I also know they aren't much for haggling. As for the big carriers, they are the best in my view. I have also recently used an independent that works your route. He hauled my cars to and from Cavallino in January. PM if you want more info.

20. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I appreciate all the replies. Still working it out.

21. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    One thing I’ve learned from watching the VINWiki videos is to find out how much insurance coverage they have for the cars they are transporting.

If they have $250,000 of cover and are transporting $750,000 worth of vehicles at once...well, you get the idea.

22. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    I recently took delivery of my 458. Vee from After Hours Transport handled transportation. Quick, secure, communicative. Has my recommendation. +1 (857) 209-6454. Arranged pickup 24 hours after i closed the deal and delivered it 36 hours after pickup (ohio to Pa).

He was a recommendation of Mike Berman from Yellow Compass who brokered my car recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. AZDiverDLR

AZDiverDLR Karting

Sep 7, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dave Rowley
    I recently had an F430 shipped from Arizona to Ferrari of Long Island, NY and a 458 Italia in the reverse direction by Troy Car Inc: www.troycarinc.com. Each trip took under a week. They have a fleet of two deck enclosed trailers with lift gates, so no steep ramps to wear clutches. Dealer arranged everything and told me they use this carrier a lot. Had no issues at all - very happy.

24. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006