308 Transfer Gear Oil level | FerrariChat

308 Transfer Gear Oil level

Discussion in '308/328' started by veloce33, Jan 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    Getting ready to do a gearbox oil change on my 85 QV. What is the oil capacity of the transfer gear case? I understand that this is to be drained & refilled independantly of the transmission. Thanks.

2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    The OM should tell you but ........................

Fill the whole thing from the transfer case fill hole.

When oil "pours" out the xmission fill hole (NOT the drain hole) you have enough ... all the way around as they "cascade" into one another.

Worked well for me.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think the capacity is something like 4.7Qts.
    you can just put all 5Qts of Redline 75-90NS

4. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    Just to make sure I have this straight, drain the gear box and the transfer case seperately, fill both gear box and transfer case through the transfer case fill hole, and when oil runs out of the gear box fill hole, the whole system is filled? Is that correct?

5. Corsa308

Corsa308 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    Yep thats right although I just do one and then the other, whichever way you like.
    If just doing them separately, fill the main case until it comes out the filler then put 100ml or .17 pints into the transfer case filler.
    Its in the manual.

Steve

freccia75 likes this.
  6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yes.

Small tip. Make sure that you can remove the filler cap from the transfer case BEFORE you drain everything!! Sometimes that filler can be a b*tch!

Birdman

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Make sure you can open the two fill hole plugs BEFORE you open the drain holes.

8. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #8 spiderseeker, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    * Correct, but make sure the car is level when watching for the oil to come out, else you'll overfill.
    My 85qv takes 4 1/3 qts. (Use Redline 75w-90NS, if possible- NS is a must).

9. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    Thanks everyone.

10. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    take your time filling. tranny oil is as thick as ketchup this time of year. you could warm the bottles in a pot of hot water.

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Preferably let it drain over night as they are like syrup.

12. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    When you're refilling, and the oil starts to come out the transmission case filler hole, stop filling (of course) but let the oil run out until it stops, as the, small, passage, between the transfer case and the transmission case, restricts the flow and delays the equilibrium of the transfer case and transmission oil levels. Awfully wordy, but (I hope) you get the idea.

13. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Being in OH there where you are, you definitely want to get the gear oil up to temp before draining...kinda stating the obvious here I think, but in case not so obvious, worth mentioning....

14. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I've done this 3 times..twice on the GTa and once on the 328...the last time I did it I didnt even bother removing the gearbox filler cap....since I know that it took 5 ottles of redline I just drained and left for a while....then I refitted the two drain caps,,transmission and transfer gear,,,and then refilled through the transfer gear case,,,when doing this try and get replacement sealing washers for the caps

15. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I don't understand...why does the service manual say add .17 pints oil to the transfer case when replacing the clutch?

And yes I can see wht a bit*h it is to get the cap off. I had the transfer case cover in my hand when I put the plug back in, I sure didn't think I tightened it very much but I had a hell of a time getting it out once the car was re-assembled.

16. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Removing the drop gears case to get to the clutch has lost the oil out of the drop gears.

17. Schumacher

Schumacher Rookie

Sep 1, 2009
    Hi All

I have an 81 308 GTSi. I have owned it for 13 years and drive it a lot. Often as a daily.

Last week I bought a new speedo sensor from superformance and in installing it I lost around half a liter of gearbox oil.

Today a friend of mine helped me top up the gearbox oil and it took over 3 litres.

After doing everything up the gearbox is very recalcitrant and feels terrible.

I haven't ever worked on the car myself before.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Warm regards

18. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Schumacher, you lost 0.5 liter and added 3 liters? Total capacity is 4 liter (plus 0.1 liter for the transfer case), see below user manual table from my Euro 328 88.5 which I expect is same as for your 308i. In case you did not drain but added 3 liter to what remained (3.5 lter?) it will be seriously overfilled. In case you did drain the gear box you need - as explained in above posts- refill with 4 liter, hence 3 liter is insufficient.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The QV and 328 gearboxes sport something the early ones do not... A pump. If you can't manage to get into the drop gear case it's not a huge deal as the pump will circulate the oil for you.
    Also doesn't hurt to check the filter, but that's a touch more involved.

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Not surprised. The fluid may be aerating...

Yes, you're possibly 2.5L over capacity.

21. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Also, a bit surprised you lost anything out the gearbox doing that job, when I replaced mine (328) I don't recall any oil coming out.

On the gear oil, mine ends to take about 4.5 quarts in total. I use 1 quart std Redline 75W90 & then the rest is NS. It will take 10 minutes or so for it to find its level & start running out the gearbox fill plug. I just leave it overnight to drain and then again for several ours to level out before I put the plugs in - but if I put just under 4.5 bottles in the amount that comes out is going to be minimal.

Someone mentioned above about not removing the gearbox fill plug at all once you know how much goes in.

Technically, OK you could do that but I'd always take it out first anyway because if you do and then you get oil pouring out before you even start the job its a pretty good indicator that your shift shaft seals are failing (there's engine oil ingressing the gearbox)