355 - L.H. Outer (Mirror) Plate Gasket Replacement | FerrariChat

355 L.H. Outer (Mirror) Plate Gasket Replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by F1ScuderiaTifosi, May 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    A while back I noticed the (#20) L.H. Outer Plate Gasket (64321700) for my '95 GTB's side view mirror was torn. I finally had time to replace it today.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I removed the side view mirror's inner plate by removing these 2 screws.

The gasket is secured by three press-on style starlock/clip washers. They're fairly easy to access but the lowest one is covered by a plastic window glass guide. The screw for that glass guide is positioned lower than the top of the leather wrapped door panel. Getting a screwdriver in there would be troublesome. That screw is also the only fastener securing the glass guide. Once the screw and glass guide are freed up, they could easily fall into the depths of the door so removing the door panel would make the work much easier and less like a circus act.

These are the locations of the screws that help secure the door panel...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Continued...

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Do us all a favor JB and post in the diy sticky
    If i ever have to do mine I will at least be able to find it
    Thanks

F1ScuderiaTifosi likes this.
  3. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    In these following photos I'm not (obviously) pointing directly at the screws but these are their locations.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The two lower fasteners for the inner door handle are 10mm bolts.

Here's the inner door handle's upper fastener.

Here's the inner handle door opener's fastener...

The door lock knob/plunger unscrews...

Continued...

Qavion likes this.
  4. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    The long S-shaped inner door trim slide locks in/out of the main door panel.

There are 4 plastic retainer clips as well. I used 'Trim Removal Tools' to complete this part of the job. A lot of folks just pry door panels with their claws or utilize flathead screwdrivers but I'd rather not chance destroying the leather or the door panel's inner composite.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ok, now back to the side view mirror assembly...

Unscrew the (only) fastener securing the glass guide and gently wedge the glass guide in the glass pass-through. IF the screw and/or the glass fall into the door, just remove the door speaker to retrieve them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Continued...

5. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Finally... The gasket!

When the inner plate is removed there'll be a foam silencer. Just put it aside.

Now the 3 starlock/clip washers should be completely exposed. I used this pick to pry off all 3 of them. Keep a finger on top as you work them back so they don't fall into the door. They're small and flat-ish. If they fall in, they could tumble to the base of the door or they can easily get jammed into whatever is in their path. That could or wont cause problems so just beware.

The gasket should be freed up now. Toss out the torn/damaged gasket and hang the new one on the 3 starlock/clip posts. I used my multi-type screwdriver's shaft cavity to reseat the starlock/clip washers.

Lay the silencer on the inner side of the inner plate then seat them back into position.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Button everything back up then pour a double Basil Haydens on the rocks! Tada!

F355Bob and Qavion like this.
  6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    First you need to wash that dirty finger that keeps touching your nice clean leather
    Ha ha

7. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    LOL!!! Right?!

8. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    I forgot to mention... After the screws, bolts and door lock knob/plunger have been removed and the panel is ready to be lifted off, the connectors for the window switches need to be disconnected. After thats done, the door panel should lift off nice and easy.