NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 52 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    That can mean a world of things though. Pista was the same - limited by time only - but it was very difficult to get one. Since this is a new price segment for Ferrari and they will be somewhat unsure of the demand then they are almost bound to adopt that stance. If there is large demand from existing customers compared with production expectation, it will be difficult for a new buyer to get one quickly. How many they expect to produce is an important question. Since it is an additional model and 488/F8/little brother is the biggest seller and this model is continuing, I would guess that production plans are for significantly less than this model. Maybe 1,000 per year over a 5 year cycle? That’s still a lot of £500k cars so it will be interesting to see.

2. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    There is a reason for it. The word 4 sounds like the root of the verb “to die”. It is certainly considered an unlucky number in Southern Asia and Japan. In Northern China I know some people who do not consider it unlucky.
    I am not Chinese or Japanese, so those of you more educated than me, please correct me if I am wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds, F140C and F142George like this.
  3. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    It’s genau that! My first love was Japanese :)

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    This post has got me thinking a bit. Perhaps with this completely new chassis, electric motors, high voltage controllers, software, batteries and all it would be best to get a later production car. In other recent models this was not a concern but this one has a lot more risk IMO.

j09333 and Shack like this.
  5. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt

To add more context. I have not yet ever bought a car directly from Ferrari. I have a 488 spider I bought through a non-ferrari dealership. I was not able to get a pista due to this, yet could walk into a F173 allocation. Same deal in terms of timed production but the pista DID have requirements from factory to get one, the F173 DOES NOT. Dealer themselves specifically said verbatim "if someone won the lotto today they could walk in and get the car, assuming wew have allocations remaining".

I also have a 812 on order/deposit, but have not put any $ down other than the 10k deposit (waiting for car to go into build).

Ferrari sydney have 20 cars allocated to them so far.

As for life span, not sure this car will live for a 5 year cycle given the specifics of the euro 7 regulations kicking in after euro6D is in full effect past 2021. Time will tell.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I’m particularly interested in this reveal. From a Ferrari-owning perspective but also from a general “what is going on in the motor industry and how are brands adapting” perspective. When Ferrari felt forced to go turbo they introduced the award-winning 488 engine, now updated for the Pista. They turned a negative into a positive by being creative with torque management. Will Ferrari’s legendary engine design and development team be able to come up with something ground-breaking and new or are they having to work hard just to keep up with the technology? We shall see!

JagShergill, Vertix, stavura and 2 others like this.
  7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lamborghini is still selling over 1000 Aventadors per year from what I can tell..

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Someone commented Ferrari could simply pay a fine and continue to sell the car if it didn't meet the standard. Elsewhere there was another comment that if a Ferrari didn't meet new EU standards they could not sell that particular model into that market. Somewhat confusing.
    It would be the height of irony if Ferrari continued to build older style cars not meeting Euro 7 requirements and sell them outside the EU
    There might then be a stronger backlash to all these new rules at that point... :)

9. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    It won’t be the first time Ferrari have ignored a market due to regulations. I seem to recall Enzo Ferrari refusing to sell the 512 BB to the American market as it needed so many changes to comply with US regulations. Americans simply travelled to Europe and made their orders before shipping them across the Atlantic, could we see a similar thing happen again?

of2worlds likes this.
  10. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    UK, Germany and Switzerland are some of Ferrari’s largest and most lucrative markets. Highly unlikely they will ignore these markets due to emission regulations. Ironically the US will have the most lenient regulations (probably excepting California) but many countries are in unison on this. Too big an obstacle to simply ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #1286 JTSE30, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Allow me to resolve:

Excessive CO2 emissions = pay fine/penalty (Ferrari is already doing this, but fines increase in 2020)

Excessive Particulate Matter = Stop Sale (Ferrari currently must comply in EU by 1/1/2020 (that could change but that's the latest from their 2018 annual report) (Compliance will require Gasoline Particulate Filters to be fitted, also called GPF, OPF, PPF) fwiw: GPF devices cannot be used in Australia market due to their gasoline having large amounts of sulphur (50ppm for premium and 150ppm for regular)

Euro 7 = DOES NOT EXIST, it is currently being determined, expect its announcement by 2022 for 2025 enforcement (this is current thinking)

Additionally, starting 2022, new non-emissions related requirements which will result in Stop Sale (unless Ferrari receives deferment, will require redesign of all models, so I suspect 812 production ends in 2021, at least for EU, rather than redesign it for one more model year)

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-19-1793_en.htm

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2019/03/29/eu-beefs-up-requirements-for-car-safety/

No statement by Ferrari if they will request/receive deferment on 2022 non-emissions regulations.

12. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Agreed. Lots of innovations on the horizon: new hybrid powertrains, electric turbochargers, new DC transmission, the "particular and innovative" V6 engine and so on. I'm sure Ferrari worked hard to push the boundaries and set the bar very high.

JagShergill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Clarity I think! :)
    Thank you JTSE30 for updating on these challenges facing the automotive sector in the foreseeable future.
    Government seems to think the auto industry is a bottomless pit of money to be plundered in the name of 'common good'.

14. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    No, it s just an economic choice, nothing else !!! look at the Hurracan, Aventador, GT 3...Ferrari could pay the fine to UE and continue to produce NA if less than 10 000 cars / year

15. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    The most important department is actually the marketing center ! they need to make so much marketing in order to buy cars without sound and without soul.
    Is someone really thinking that a turbo engine V6 with 64 db in an heavy car, full of electric cable is a good news for enthusiats ???
    It will be not a Ferrari, just marketing and so powerfull cars for open roads that i sadly prefer laughing !
    F8 replacement is a beautiful design, puro sangre is a good surprise too at this level...But no sound, no soul
    Ferrari belongs to the past, it s not my opinion, it s just an objective fact !

16. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Fact? No, it's not. It's your opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

fil, Vertix and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Yes fact, unfortunaltly...Because the Ferrari s history is not Turbo cars full of electric cables and...without sound !
    Dont you think ?

Roland1688, Shack and of2worlds like this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's not fuel injection nor disc brakes either - we'll see what the future will bring, but for now I can make do without leaf springs and drum brakes...

19. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    You keep talking about cars nobody has seen, heard or driven. Hardly a position where someone can state facts. Sorry but, yours are just generic comments that sound like broken records ("no soul, no sound"). You even claimed the Pista to be a "soulless" car when nobody, tester or owner, has ever said such a thing about it. We have fully understood that you don't care about future hybrid cars but there are people who do and want to see what's in store in Maranello.

20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Wrong, sorry...
    However, i respect your point of view

21. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    And with small engines without gain respectability and no sound ?

22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I understand the 'day355' point of view. If you watch Ferrari move from the 250 TR with it's exotic sounding V12 to a modern turbo motor with a quiet exhaust or an electric helper on a V12 like the LaFerrari with all that weight and size it is not what Enzo Ferrari envisioned. His cars were small powerful and exclusive. Even the deluxe Ferrari models were bought by royalty and seldom even seen by the public. They were not 'luxury goods' that happen to come with a power source.
    Ferrari has been forced into a new marketing role requiring different products. However Ferrari today should not be confused with the Ferrari that existed in a much different way in for example the 1960's.

Roland1688 and day355 like this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 125S was a 1500cc, hardly a big block ;)
    One cannot argue with the music of a V12 though.

24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    +1
    And then pure electric - so no noise and no engine - just buy an electric motor from Mitsubishi and there's your Ferrari - I agree with you - this is not looking good for the future of enjoyment of cars. But there is still time to have some fun for now :)

25. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    He knows as much as Ferr9000, so listen to him. And he’s Italian so of course this downgrade in sound touches his heart as well.
    I’m a third Italian and a petrol head so it touches mine too. It’s like turbo era F1...
    But hey at least we will all be able to buy a 2000hp car that will scare you or throw you in jail.

day355 likes this.