Ferrari 330 P4 question, | FerrariChat

Ferrari 330 P4 question,

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Thomas Bucher, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thomas Bucher

Thomas Bucher Rookie

Feb 5, 2009
    centerville, OH
    Full Name:
    Thomas Bucher
    I recently purchased a1/18 scale model of a Ferrari 330 P4. When I looked at it, I discovered that it had "raised dots" on it. I thought they might be manufacturing flaws, but upon checking out my considerable collection of P4 images, I discovered a copy of an official Ferrari photograph of the press introduction of the P4. And there they were- the raised "dots" several on each door and two on the engine cover! What? Since I believe in group knowledge, who better to ask. About the"dots" than the experts in FerrariChats? So, any theories to quench my thirsty mind? I'm going to attempt to attach photos of the model and the Ferrari photograph. Thank you for whatever information you can come up with.
    Thomas Bucher
    Bravo, a Ferrari win but an unfortunate accident with the tire changer. Best wishes to him!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    The model you have is a nice piece, though Tecnomodel is not known for attention to detail or great accuracy. Those "raised dots" are actually supposed to be lights to illuminate the race number. Poorly done on the Tecnomodel P4. They should not be flat.

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
  4. Thomas Bucher

Thomas Bucher Rookie

Feb 5, 2009
    centerville, OH
    Full Name:
    Thomas Bucher
    I rather suspected that might be the case because of the locations. Also, at least one is not quite proper located when compared the the official photograph. Do you know of any manufacturer that makes a truly accurate model of the P4 or are they all kind of interpretations however close. I have a GMC which is nice, but one observation is that the roof vents look like sewer pipes. Why did they have to go and do that? Do you have ideas of an accurate model that doesn't coast as much as the real thing? I have a lot of interest and passion but, money not so much!
    Thank you for your interest and clarification.
    Tom Bucher
    Ps. Isn't the real car just so perfectly beautiful?

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I think you mean you have a GMP model (not GMC). All the 1:18 P4 models made to date have good and bad points, none are superb. If you want a great and really accurate P4 model in any scale..... you'll have to pay a lot for it.

moriaan1 likes this.
  6. Thomas Bucher

Thomas Bucher Rookie

Feb 5, 2009
    centerville, OH
    Full Name:
    Thomas Bucher
    I have two questions: 1) how many seat belts were in the original Ferrari 330P4, what were their locations and what type were they ( three, four or five- belt, and 2) how accurate is Almalgam’s new 1/8 scale Ferrari P4.? What specific criticisms do you have of this rather expensive model?
    Thank you for your attention,
    Thomas Bucher

7. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    I just happened to stumble across this thread. My 2 cents worth is that the finest models of the 330 P4 are the MAKE UP versions of the Daytona winning trio in 1/43rd scale. There are no opening doors, nor engine/trunk bays, yet the quality of them in such a small scale is quite astounding. being a 1/43rd collector I'm a bit partial. The 'raised dots' as someone posted before are in fact small lights. I've attached a few photos from my father's archives of the real deal (Copyright JAG) and a couple of photos of the 1/43rd version. He spent time with the Ferrari, Ford, Porsche and Chaparral teams during practice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the MAKE UP version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Thanks for sharing those photos. Nice to see them.

The MakeUp model is very, very good, but I wouldn't say it's the finest. I'd say it's among the finest. There are various details that are not completely correct. MakeUp has always had a little difficulty fully capturing correct body shapes on their models of vintage cars. The top angle of of the "roof" line behind the cockpit is way off - should be almost straight across. MakeUp does do a very good job with most of their models, but they do always miss various things.

9. Thomas Bucher

Thomas Bucher Rookie

Feb 5, 2009
    centerville, OH
    Full Name:
    Thomas Bucher
    Does your (Lusso123) comment about the roof line also apply to the Berlinetta version of the P4? It seemed to me to have a slight curve to it. Or perhaps it just a desire of mine since I think the slight curve is more graceful (?). Also, are you aware of the seat belt placement, number and style in the original P4?
    Thank you for your attention,
    Thomas Bucher