Do you acknowledge other Ferraris ? | FerrariChat

Do you acknowledge other Ferraris ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ajr550, May 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Do people wave or flash if they are in their Ferrari and see another one ?
    Some of my earliest car memories are riding in my father's old Volvo and owners always acknowledged each other.
    I tend to do it when not driving in London (which I try to avoid) and I guess get a response 90% of the time.

2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I don't know. I have not yet seen another Ferrari through my windshield. I know in my Corvette, other Corvette drivers wave.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Almost always do that. Almost always get a nod or a wave.

Also do the same for Maseratis. Strange thing is, a lot of times they don’t wave/nod back.

brianweekes likes this.
  4. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Yeah, do it with most Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, etc. Usually wave or thumbs up, get the same in exchange 90% of the time.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Yes, always. Like jjtjr said, always in Corvettes too. Motorcycles as well, but there can be some distinction between cruisers ans sport bikes

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It hasn't happened often, but I will wave when passing another Ferrari. I also wave back at people in other cars who give me a thumbs up.

There is a population of Harley riders who will not acknowledge anyone on a different make of bike. I always wave at another bike. Sometimes I don't get a wave back, but I think it's because they are not expecting a Harley rider to wave to them so they're so stunned they don't have time to react! :D

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Same.
    I wave at other Porsches when in my Porsche. If it is a sporty model - Boxster, Cayman, 911 - you are likely to get a wave back.
    Cayenne, Panny - unlikely. Macan? Forget about it! I didn't even get as much as a nod or a quick "wassup?" when I was gassing
    up my red 911 next to some dude in his Macan. :mad:
    T

Nospinzone likes this.
  8. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When I had my 348 (1999), no other Ferrari owners would wave back. I sold it and bought my Corvette. All Corvette owners wave. Now with my 550 I recently have waved and had wave backs from a couple of other Ferraris.

9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Yup; but rarely get a wave back.

When I was a biker, generally always got a wave back. Also with my 63 spitfire with other older cars.

Guess it a sign of the type of people that buy them these days I guess.

kandi and Back'n'Black like this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    No acknowledgement from people who have just bought a Ferrari because it’s a flashy expensive car, which around where I live in central London means new and newish Ferraris, of which there are loads. We see around eight to ten a day here, and none of them would acknowledge another Ferrari, specially an older one like mine.

Anyone driving an older Ferrari, say ten years to twenty years old, I wave and sometimes get waves back, but these are much rarer sightings. Then there are the real classics, and their drivers don’t tend to wave back at Ferrari drivers driving cheap cars like mine, but that’s a generalisation..

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You now have a real Ferrari!

JimEakin likes this.
  12. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I do. Usually a wave, or a honk or a light flash, and I usually get one back.

Oddly, when I’m in the Lotus, I don’t often see other Loti out and about, but I pretty much always get a thumbs up from the sport bike riders.

13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Wrangler: wave.
    Ferrari: Even though it’s a mondial we’ve had people in Ferraris (and a gallardo once) make u-turns and catch up to say hi. Everyone waves from maseratis to Ducatis to f350 pickups.

14. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I see more Ferrari’s in San Diego than anywhere. Must be the weather. SOCAL in general, we tend to be car enthusiasts. All Ferrari guys wave, even the rich snobs in Newport Beach. Maserati and Ducati guys all wave. Even Cinquecento owners wave now and again.

Here in DC, I’ve only had one Ferrari encounter in the last 10 years - a 612 owner who gave a very enthusiastic thumbs up to my 456M. Lots of embassy folks drive Maseratis, only the Italians wave. Inside the beltway, people tend to try and ignore wealth. Ironically however, hands-down guaranteed to get mobbed celebrity-style is my old Land Rover pickup. People stare, wave, laugh, point, request photos, even ask to just sit in it. One guy in our neighborhood frequently brings his kid by to play in it.

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you pass my wife in her Panamera and she doesn't return the wave, don't take offense, the woman is just plain oblivious when she drives. :D

16. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #16 Back'n'Black, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Back in the day (see: 80's in California ) as classic VW owners, we would rig the wiring on the left headlight so that we could flash a single light at others of our ilk. A wink, as it were.

All other types of vehicles that I owned (FJ40s and Jeeps), we would just wave. Easy to do when ya had no doors.

I VEEERY rarely see Ferraris in the wild where I am, but hope that once there's one in my possession, I'll get the chance to wave again. Nobody waves at me when I'm in the Hyundai :(.

redcarz and Nospinzone like this.
  17. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    In the Aussie outback it's De Rigueur to raise your index finger at any other vehicle irrespective of what either you or they are driving............................you never know when you need a helping hand if you break down!

Nospinzone likes this.
  18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I wave at other exotics, I'd say 30% response. For example I drove my 458 past a black 355 last week and waved and the couple in the car didn't look over. Lambo drivers (presumably mostly renters enjoying themselves) wave more. McLaren drivers almost never acknowledge.

Alfa to Alfa, no one responds at all. :rolleyes:

Nospinzone likes this.
  19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You've actually seen a McLaren?

You mean Bob (The Mayor) has never waved to you? :D

ryalex likes this.
  20. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Have driven cross country twice with my daughter in her Wrangler. Between MT and PA nobody waves.

She would cringe when I was driving because I would actually WAVE, versus giving the 'I'm so cool' finger flip. Bikers don't (generally) wave, they use the 'extend the hand low and slow' technique.

Guy in an old 70's red vette stuck his hand out the top and gave an enthusiastic fist pump to my 87 Guards Red 911 last night. I generally acknowledge all waves/thumbs up/etc, except the single digit ones, because it usually means a car guy/gal likes your ride.

21. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That happens in rural Texas; maybe for the same reason? Whenever I am on a two lane country road, I always flash the "redneck salute" at cars coming in the other direction, regardless if I'm in the F-car or the pickup. Growing up in New York City, if you had a finger waved at you, it was likely not the index finger.
    T

22. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Ditto! I’m in Texas and always do the wave. Then again, I also wave when people let me in, or just wave in general, lol.

I’ve had one non car event run in with another Ferrari owner (in Austin) since I’ve had the car and we both waved.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

timjen88 likes this.
  23. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    In New York you’re more apt to see a different finger raised ; )

Back 30 years ago when I started driving 911s, others would flash their high beams, it was even suggested by the Porsche Club of America in the member handbook. These days it’s rare to get a flash back, but I still try.

24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    In my Corvette, yes, often if not always. In my little country town, ive never seen another Ferrari unless it was at a Ferrari event...so that would be weird.

25. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    We live in the mountains 50 miles east of San Diego on a wicked road with lots of switchbacks, blind rises etc, so we see lots of exotics, mostly Ferrari's, Porsche's and occasional Lambo's and a McLaren or two. Always wave or flash the headlights and nearly always get a response in kind. Bikers also nearly always give you a thumbs up.

Incidentally, we who live out here are sometimes sarcastically referred to by the coast dwellers as East County clod kickers, but we hold our own. About ten miles on either side of our place live a couple of beautiful F cars - an Enzo and a 612. Never fail to salute those guys.

DefunctNeurons and Back'n'Black like this.