purchasing a 430 | FerrariChat

purchasing a 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by rusty2010, May 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rusty2010

rusty2010 Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    avon in.
    Full Name:
    rusty
    Hello everyone and thank you in advance. i'm looking at purchasing a 430 spyder. I would like to know what changes they made from 2004 - 2009 and what they are. I know about the headers and engine bracket problems and that they should be replaced. I own a 348 spyder and I plan on keeping her. I just love the look and sound of the 430. Thanks again

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this is sort of like asking if God exists. there are those who say ignore everything but a 2009. there are plenty of owners who have had great experiences with 2005s and 2006s. I own an 06 and and 07 with carbon brakes. ive driven an 09 and in all honesty the 06 feels the strongest. If carbion brakes are a must then you have to get atleast an 08 (some 07s have them). if you want to avoid carbon brakes then go earlier.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. rusty2010

rusty2010 Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    avon in.
    Full Name:
    rusty
    I'm curious as to why they say a 2009, I haven't been following the 430 thru the years I would think there would be several improvements and advancement it the electronics, 5 years is a long time in the tech world. Did you have to replace the headers and mounts?

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Please try the search function first, as you can imagine, this subject has come up many times over the years.
    Here is one thread I found with a quick check and lists all the product changes by chassis number when they were instituted:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-any-improvements-updates-upgrades-during-its-5-year-production.443780/

One of the significant changes I learned about from some Ferrari techs and 430 owners is that in 2008 (again, check chassis number) there was a change to the transmission itself, as well as software to shorten shift times. The techs and owners (who had owned early and late 430s) said it was a nice change. Some have said it is not a big deal. You cannot update an earlier car to the later spec without replacing the transmission and F1 ecu. As you can see in the list, there were running changes throughout production, right into 2009. This is typical for Ferrari (and probably any manufacturer).

whatheheck likes this.
  5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I had an '05 for 2 years with zero issues! Now have an '07 Spider! Both great cars....you'll love the F430 experience!

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes my 05 had headers done - u can find my maintenance history in a post i made. Might be an 06 i don’t remember. My 07 has 3k miles so still has original headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    When I was looking I was thinking 2007 or newer. I found the perfect car locally and it was an early 2005 with the carryover 360 F1 pump. Car has been great with no issues, I would not eliminate any of the years. Find the colors and options you want, and if it has maintenance records your good to go!

8. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Great post - fantastic to see a reminder about using search but you followed up with a link and great info. Thanks for doing this and I actually learnt a lot from your post.

Beats the “Use search” answer with a frowny face!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. rusty2010

rusty2010 Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    avon in.
    Full Name:
    rusty
    Thank you for all the info, I read every search you all submitted. I'm shopping now with confidence.
    I think the journey and hunt is as great as the drive.

f355spider likes this.