The F50 Thread | Page 72 | FerrariChat

The F50 Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by amenasce, Dec 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Well said. We all get different satisfactions from these cars, some people like to drive the cars and others like to view it as a rolling Picasso.

joe sackey likes this.
  2. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    [​IMG]
    Photo by: EGC Photography

3. F355BRA

F355BRA Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes! The only F50 in Brazil

joe sackey likes this.
  4. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
  5. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  6. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
  7. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Where the F40 smacks you around the face and leaves you breathless from the very first drive, the F50 seduces you; with every drive, every detail, every moment, she slides deep into your soul. And becomes utterly irresistible.

Disclaimer: I’m hopelessly biased :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Modulo_B, tomc, furmano and 6 others like this.
  8. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  9. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Not so secret... The "Michelin man" was present on behalf of its corporate overlord. ;)

10. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
  11. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I'm really sorry, but the frog that I am didn't understand a single word of your sentence...

Jakuzzi likes this.
  12. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Interesting F50.

Customized front spoiler lip which looks a little goofy or home-made to me, adjusted rear spoiler, both suggest an attempt to gain additional downforce at high speed, Sabelt harnesses noted.

Yet the car rides on old Goodyear Fioranos, perhaps this image was taken a long time ago?

Anyway I always wonder why people think they can make a Ferrari Supercar better than the manufacturer made it for them after millions spent over years of engineering & aerodynamic development.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    jamesdouglas1436 and of2worlds like this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Totally agree, Joe. And, not just the supercars. As soon as enough people are convinced that a part, feature or component is improved if modified, it sometimes overtakes the entire marketplace for a certain model. Keep it stock.

joe sackey likes this.
  15. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    True, but on the other side, manufacturers must respect a hell of a lot of laws, one being more stupid than the other. Emissions, noise, pedestrian protection,drivability etc... All those things aftermarket doesn't give a flying f___ about, especially for track use

This applies mainly to exhaust and some other minor changes

But when it comes to pure engineering like aerodynamics, you can't compete with a manufacturer

16. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    True, what do Michelotto think they're doing! :rolleyes:

Not that this particular F50's adjustments aren't just for the show, but fortunately manufacturers leave room for improving, i.e. cars going to be raced. I understand the love for stock, but I can't believe I have to explain this to this audience.

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Well, the F50 is also 25 years old so im sure if one wants to track it, there are many way to improve it. I must say i quite like the look of that one. A bit more stance than the regular Euro F50.

F140C and Garretto like this.
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I suppose one can always say "they should have done that" or "wouldn't it look awesome if they did this", but these things really should be left as they were meant to be, particularly the supercars. It isn't about whether they could be improved (particularly decades later), it's about keeping Ferrari's pure as a dedication to the original intention of the factory. I don't own a Ferrari supercar but I do own two models that are precisely as they were meant to be when they left the factory. Of course any owner can do as they please to their own property, but I'm just one that wishes they wouldn't.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Exactly.

Michelotto is a Ferrari SpA affiliate, generally they take cars given to them by Ferrari SpA and turn them into full-blooded race cars, track-dedicated versions of existing Ferrari Supercars, that's a bit different from a guy customizing a car because he thinks he knows better than the manufacturer.

If that F50 is still running on old Goodyear Fioranos as the images suggest, then yes, its all for show.

Indeed, I know of a way, its called an F50 GT1.

Agree totally.

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Elitist :)

21. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Indeed, Michelotto's relationship with Ferrari is something truly unique, but by mentioning him I wanted to make my point that there are some more tuners out there which know a thing or two and that a stock car is in certain ways compromised, even a Ferrari halo car, so there's always room for improvement in one way or another.

F140C and Boomhauer like this.
  22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Michelotto also used to trick privately owned road cars for owners who wanted a bit more than what Ferrari was offered. Not sure if they still offer that but back in the good days, they did.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #1799 joe sackey, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Unashamedly so.

People forget these are road cars, and in that sense they are set up perfect from the factory IMO, forget the so-called tuners who IMO create even more compromises.

For the track, Ferrari has the GTO Evoluzione, the F40 LM, The F50 GT1, the FXX, the FXX-K etc set up perfectly for the track.

I understand the desire to customize, to hot-rod etc, but for heavens sake do it to something cheaper and not to a state-of-the-art Ferrari Supercar.

Keeping it stock is a nod of respect to the artisans who built the cars, it's a salute to their automotive art, a way of saying "I appreciate your work, it's perfect".

I wouldn't bring my newly-acquired Picasso home and say: "Honey I think it needs a dab of white paint in a few spots".

Modding a Ferrari Supercar is a tangible way of saying it wasn't good enough, nuts IMO.

Money talks, anything is possible.

Camlet1 and Davesvt2000 like this.
  24. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    #1800 Garretto, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    I don't see modifications as disrespectful, not at all IMO. Some are even widely accepted among purists or by the market, which usually has the ultimate opinion (or at least I like to think it is wise to believe so). Think ANSA megaphone exhausts, Roberuta suspensions, Enkei or OZ wheels... I'm recalling those frequent meetings in Japan, for example, with dozens of F40s and F50s, where every car is fitted with more interesting parts than the previous. Wheels, aero parts, surely some internal mods... owners have mostly resorted to top brands even official-ish stuff and racing parts. I fully welcome those quality mods even if they don't really offer actual performance gains, the cars are not being raced, etc. In sum, I find this modding culture actually honors the cars!

F140C and Boomhauer like this.