360 - Belt Hydraulic Thightener (Tensioner) questions | FerrariChat

360 Belt Hydraulic Thightener (Tensioner) questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by fotostars, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    OK,
    so I'm planning on doing my timing belts soon. I have not opened her up yet so don't know what I will find.
    She's a 2002 (assy 45388). May have gotten belts ~2006 but no record of it, then belts in 2010 at Ferrari NewPort Beach, it only shows new belts, not even new bearings... Then new belts again in 2014 at an Indy with new bearings this time... I'm thinking after 17y of operation, are the hydraulic tensioners still working as intended? I will check tension before removing the belts to see if they've been performing ok so far. Is this enough to check if they're still serviceable?

Let's assume they're not: A new style l/h tensioner p/n 202784 is now used. It is designed to fit on a new bracket p/n 202786 that also holds the A/C compressor and an accessory pulley. TSB 1315 from May 2005 states that 202784 can be installed on the old bracket by removing the center bushing. As anyone done this here or you had to also replace the bracket (that seems more involved)?

Also, the bolts holding those tensioners are >$30 each !! Seriously? They are M8x1,25 according to the WSM... Do I need new bolts to get the new l/h tensioner on the old bracket? That same TSB doesn't call for replacing them but I read from someone (Daniel @ Ricambi maybe) that the new tensioner needs new bolt?.

So my questions:
    Q1. Do I want to replace them?
    Q2. As someone fitted new l/h 202784 on the old bracket as TSB 1315 seems to imply
    Q3. Do I need new bolts?

If anyone who's done that job many times could help with answers, that would be awesome!

Richard.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It can't hurt to replace them, but they are probably ok. If you have method of checking the belt frequency, then you can check the belt tension before removing the old belts. If you want to replace the LH tensioner, but have an early mounting bracket, you just have to remove the dowel pin from the new tensioner before installing it. You don't have to replace the original bolts unless someone has damaged them, they are supposed to be torqued to 25nm/17 ft/lb which is standard for an 8x1.25 mm fastener with an 8.8 rating.
    The new tensioner might use a longer bolt for the side with the dowel pin, if you were replacing the mounting bracket to the new style with the dowel pin, as the dowel pin takes up some of the threads in the mount casting. If you are removing the dowel pin and reusing your old bracket you should not need a new/longer bolt.

f355spider likes this.
  3. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Brian, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my inquiries. This is very much appreciated and exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

4. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    To follow-up: I started the “big job” today. Well, one of them turned out to be ‘not ok’ :(
    I am sooo glad I got to it now instead of waiting for next winter. The RH tensioner is basically collapsed. Little to no tension in the belt. It could have jumped a tooth at any time!!
    The bearing also failed and is all greased up.
    See attached photos. You can see the slack when I push the belt up with my finger.

So get your belt system check regularly. This one was going on 5 years in Oct’19.
    Remember the system consists of 3 separate components that could fail. The belt, the tensioner pulley and the hydraulic tensioner.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    To use the new style l/h tensioner p/n 202784 on your original bracket without removing the dowel I ended up machining my bracket to accept the dowel and saved the $300 or so they wanted for the updated bracket. I used one of my CNC mills with a 10mm drill to counter bore the M6x1.0 hole out just enough to clear the dowel. You could also do this if you had a good drill press and a vise, you just need to make sure you center up and squared up on the original hole and slow rpm.

Rifledriver likes this.
  6. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Thanks for the tip @gphodge , something to consider indeed...
    Though now, I'm confused. I just got back to the project and I turned the engine to #1 TDC.
    (the pictures from yesterday where from where the engine stopped last time I ran it)...
    Sure enough, the hydraulic tensioner is now extended to an expected gap and the tension on the belt is fine.
    What does this mean? I thought the tension on the belt would be constant regardless of the crank angle?

7. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    If memory serves me well when I did mine back in 2010, mine did the same as yours (slack then correct tension, it was confusing). Not knowing when they where last changed and it did not have the new updated tensioner or bracket I just went ahead and did the job and never looked back. I also had to do the valve cover gaskets and cam seals as well which were a pain, bought my car it in Los Angeles and drove it back to Portland and then they started leaking and had to fix a bunch of other things that shops in LA cobbled together on the Kreissieg exhaust.

8. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Yep, that's my thinking too... I'm keeping the car and I'm driving it... I'm saving the majority of the cost by DIY so might as well.
    Based on service records, they seem to be original to the car ('02), cost of those parts will only go up. Changing them now is good peace of mind.

9. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Good on you for tearing into it, get the proper tools like I did from Hill Engineering from Ricambi as well as a sonic meter to measure belt tension, 95972938 timing belt tensioner wrench, 95973207 clutch lock. It was confusing at first from the WSM but you combine the tension side and non tension side to get to the 190-220 Hz per the manual. The 32mm crank bolt is blue loctited on and torqued to 196Nm so its a bugger to get off to access the belts, a good 1/2 long snap on with a extra pipe helps to break loose.

Do you have a WSM?

While you are at it you might want to think about coolant hoses and coolant and the dreaded heat exchanger before it pumps coolant into your transmission, motor mounts and transmission mounts (get the 430 trans mount) needs tool 95973219 installer/remover-trans mount/upper.

I've been considering getting another 360 again as I love the lines and the engine sound of them and prices are affordable, a 458 would be nice as well but twice the price but to many electronics to go wrong.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It means there are points along the cycle where the tension is not equal on both sides of the same belt and that is totally normal. It has been that way forever and does not necessarily mean the tensioner is bad.
    Looking at the adjustment on the cam pulley, you probably should do the cam timing again on the engine using a degree wheel. Good luck, there is not a lot of space to work with while the engine is in the car with the header on, and the aluminum sub-frame in its place. A typical magnetic base won't fit well.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The tensioner works like a hydraulic lifter. If constant compression is applied it will collapse. If the motor kicks back slightly on shutdown which is quite common it will leave your tensioner looking that way. It other words a visual inspection carried out that way is an invalid determination if the tensioner is good.

12. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
  13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If it rattles when cold, its bad. If the left is an early version it's bad.

14. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex

So is it safe to say that the gap and tension frequency measured are only valid once engine is rotated two revolutions and a 2 min wait period has expired? My tensioner gaps and frequency are spot on after the WSM procedure but start to collapse somewhat after several hours at rest and obviously frequency gets affected.

Anthony 360 F1 likes this.
  15. Mja

Mja Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    I realize this is an older thread but I just thought I would add some of my own experiences.
    Firstly the crank pulley bolt- I did not have the locking tool but used the old accessory belt and it worked great. Take the belt and wrap around the crank pulley all the way around then pinch it tight facing downwards. Then fold the rest back up the left side and loop around the water pump, As you turn the crank bolt it will tighten enough to allow the bolt to loosen. Tightening was the reverse just run the belt on the right side. I was able to tighten to 146ft pounds using this method so it certainly wont budge.
    I used the marks that were already on the pulleys from the factory but I added marks onto the old belts just in case I needed to reset back to where it was. I had the engine perfectly timed before undoing anything.
    My tensioners were so far out I needed to remove and reset them. I used a large builders clamp took my time to not damage them. Inserted a small drill bit.
    To set the tension on the new belts I tightened the tensioner pulley enough for it to hold but still able to move with the tool this allowed me to do very fine adjustments. I bought the Audi/VW tensioner tool as it is cheap to buy. It is not offset like the OEM one but it still works OK. I was able to get mine to about 1.8mm while the pin/drill could still slide in and out easily. It’s a little on the tight side but I put that down to the new belts. Leave the pin in while tightening the bolt.

I would say to anyone thinking of doing this job definitely give it a go.