Group 4 Wheels | FerrariChat

Group 4 Wheels

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by DonB, Oct 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Hi all.

In regards to another post on FerrariChat, I thought I'd post this in case any one was curious as to what Group 4 17" wheels for the Boxer looked like on the car.

I was one of the early recipients of the wheels, and they arrived in perfect condition and when inspected, the quality was outstanding. I believe they're made by Speedline, but it does say "Made in Italy" on the back of the wheels.

I purchased the hub assemblies from Hill Engineering and they fit perfect. Center trim rings were purchased from GT Car parts in Phoenix, AZ. I used factory valve stems and caps and again they fit perfect as well.

The tires I chose were Pirelli P Zero Asimetrico P 235/50/17 front, and P 245/50 for the rear. They are the same diameter as the factory Michelin's and although they appear to be smaller, it is an optical illusion I think because of the reduced side wall height, and the fact that the Boxer sits high to begin with. Width is about the same as the Michelin's as well.

The car drives about a 1000 times better with the set up and is a whole new experience. Oh, excuse the look of the tires...they weren't clean when I took the picture Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

What pressures are you running front and rear? Car looks fantastic.

3. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I believe I just run them at 30..seems to work OK. Any suggestions?

4. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Those look really good!
    Thanks for sharing this

5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I really like the look of these wheels. These look like they fill up the wheel well better than others that I have seen running this setup. Is that because the suspension is lowered slightly or is the tire a larger diameter?

6. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Tire diameter is the same as the factory Michelin's, and no the car has not been lowered..

7. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Group 4 is selling a set of wheels for 1,300GBP (-1,700USD) now including delivery via Fed Ex to US.

Used to be about 2,400 USD delivered.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If I had a BBi I'd be all over that.

9. Bknblk

Bknblk Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh Toby
    I have a set arriving this week! Super excited to be able to update the rubber to modern compounds and sidewall profiles. I'm struggling with whether or not to powder coat them a bronze/gold which I think would look amazingly vintage and novel on my black BBi.

I know there are purists out there that might be horrified by the idea of any color other than stock metal, but the rims themselves will already be non-OEM, so here we are. I welcome everyone's thoughts!

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You have my vote :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4right and turbo-joe like this.
  11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 (that dark gold or the silver look great -- and both would pass the "Pininfarina test").

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    my vote also
    just doing the same on my BB

13. Bknblk

Bknblk Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh Toby
    This feedback helps immensely! I was struggling with destroying a matched finish on a brand new wheel. I think I'll go ahead and do some aftermarket trim rings as well. I don't think I can go all in with the Knock-offs though.

I've read reports on silk screening the rims (This is one of the infinite areas Newman apparently has experience with). Is it worth the effort to come up with a decal or silk-screen to apply after coating? It seems like it would be a nice finishing touch.

I'm going with a single stage Gold-bronze satin called Satin Poly Gold (Prismatic Powders). I'll have them run a test piece first to be sure, but heres a picture of another set of centerlocks:

14. Bknblk

Bknblk Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh Toby
    The new 17”s are mounted up, and it drives fantastic on modern rubber. So far, there’s nothing but enthusiasm from bystanders! :)

Attached Files:

Auraraptor likes this.
  15. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Three years later, still happy with the Group 4/Pirelli wheel and tire combination? We have a lot of mountain driving opportunities locally and the TRX tires are a bit scary to be honest. Was considering this option in the new year. Thanks

16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#16 dwhite, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Do it!!!! I see they have even lowered the price. This is the best thing you can do to the car to help the driving experience. You will wish you did it years ago after the first drive.

Only thing I would do different is smaller tire up front. I went with 245/45/17 should have done 225/50/17. Rears are 255/45/17. Conti extreme contact sport

17. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I wish Group 4 had made the rear wheels about 1" wider. The wheel arches can accept the width and it would look awesome!

dwhite likes this.
  18. 308GTS2B

308GTS2B Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen Safari
    Is there an option for the gold vs silver? Also, is this what the gold option looks like or was was this later painted/powder coated??
    TIA,
    Cheers..

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    could someone perhaps explain to me what are group 4 wheels? is this a manufacturer? so originally on a BB/BBi there have been 15 " or metric wheels. and at that time group 4 wheels never could be 17 "

under group 4 wheels I understand wider wheels for period racing like on my BB

Attached Files:

20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Group 4 wheels is a manufacturer of wheels based in the UK. Their website indicates……Driven by a desire to reimagine some of the finest motorsport-inspired wheels to a more exacting modern specification, we have supplied wheels to some of the finest road and race cars. That desire still runs strong as we continue to create wheels for cars from the sixties right up to today – from a DeTomaso Mangusta to a modern Porsche Boxster.

They produce a 17 inch wheel that looks like a BBI wheel that you can use with more modern rubber. Most can’t tell the difference so the car performs better although it retains the stock look.

Here is a picture of their BBI wheel on a Boxer.

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I love those gold Chromodoras... If I was not in the middle of restoring a Diablo I would look for some.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    to make them gold it took me a lot of time, experience, money - did it 3 times until it is like now and took me 3 years
    before they looked terrible - magnesium wheels

23. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    We do have the 16" Michelin on the shelf

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/pilot-sport.html

and we ship them all over the world.
    it is generally free carriage.
    if you are in the EU we arrange all the taxes and pay them so there are no hidden costs or hold ups in customs. what you see on the web site is what you pay.
    If you are outside Europe you do not pay the VAT that is listed on the web. as you go through the buy on line process it will calculate shipping costs (if there are any. probably not). you can put your address in post code and drop out of the sale at any point we are not harvestiong your data. We are a small business the respects its customers.

24. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It looks like Group 4 Wheels is no longer offering wheels for BBi, they are no longer listed on the website.

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Those wheels are great, and with treaded historic racing rubber have all the grip one needs.
    Imo the wider 15 inch wheels give the car the lemans/can am for road look which works really well, ties the whole thing into the 512M race car..