Front License Plate Violation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Front License Plate Violation

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by JJ97, Apr 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. majesterludi

majesterludi Rookie

May 7, 2016
    I keep my front license under the front passenger mat. I have been pulled over. I show the plate and say that I haven't gotten around to putting it on as I don't drive the car much. No problems yet..

2. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Yeah mine was about 2 blocks from home. That’s probably the worse part, I feel like that same guy will always be on the lookout in the neighborhood.

3. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Revenue generator.

4. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Couldn't agree with you more.

5. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Fast and Furious :)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Illinois just tried the no front plate legislation again, as they do every year. Failed as always. They admitted they would save a chunk of money with only one plate, but LEOs are firmly against it so it will never pass.

I keep my front plate in the car but I was thinking of printing out the online ad for the screw on plate holder to show that I’d ordered one ( I haven’t) but it hasn’t come in yet. I’m a retired LEO so it’s unlikely I’ll get a ticket, but I hate getting pulled over for it when obviously I know better. My wife has one of those screw into the tow slot holders for adding a front plate to her Boxter GTS because she wants no part of getting pulled over, regardless of the low chance of getting ticketed.

7. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
  8. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

That will pay for three $60 tickets and I still won't have a front license plate.

I like my odds.

:)

Ferraritalian likes this.
  9. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Time for a Montana plate. I paid all the taxes when I bought the car but I'd gladly pay a little more just to not have the hassle of these "LEO" jerks harassing me.

10. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just a caution, I’m not sure what state you are in, but I’ve been involved in a state’s investigation of that Montana fake LLC/company sales tax scam and some states are very serious about eventually going after the end user, who use a shell business to evade taxation or state fees for plates. While you might avoid the hassle of being asked about a front plate by an LEO, you could be opting for a dispute that’s far more annoying and invasive. Even if you prevail, I’m not sure it’s an improvement.

11. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks- I'm in IL. I did pay all the sales taxes on the car, just frustrated about the front plate thing. I'll end up just paying the tickets. There's a thing called discretion that police don't seem to understand or are motivated to just collect fines. Pulling a vehicle over for nothing other than a front plate is ridiculous.

12. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Disclaimer, I am a cop. Yes 99 percent of the time it is just a reason to stop someone to look for something bigger.

In one night I got pulled over twice within 3 miles by different agencies ( tinted windows and no front plate). To be fair it was in the ghetto and and any white guy down there is going to get stopped.

I actually write a lot of front plate tickets but only in lieu of a more serious violation.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    When i lived in the city, i must have had 10 or so tickets bc i didnt have a front plate on my 911. It was $50 then. Not sure how much now.
    The 911 lower bumper was a nice spot where i could double tape a plate without ruining the paint and still not get a ticket.

14. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    California is coming out with an adhesive plate that you will be able to put on the front only. Of course it will be available for an extra few.

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Did a job in the city this morning and the owner lives out west while his city place is being finished. He told me he’s constantly behind hassled for no front plate on his Yukon when he comes to see progress. City needs pension money

16. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So do you think one of those Law Enforcement special theme plates that actually donate to police organizations would give me an edge?

17. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Getting pulled over, maybe.

Meter maid, no.

18. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Not familiar with the license plate cop themes. IMHO you would have to be a complete moron to put one of those on your car if you plan on ever parking it out of your sight.

As far as police license plate frames and the same old cop stickers that everyone has it won't hurt or help you at all. The best thing to do is just have your paperwork ready. Don't make cops wait why you sort thru 6 -10 years of registrations and insurance forms. From my experience most owners of nice cars are fairly well organized.

As Townshend said though nothing will help with the meter maids though.

19. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the feedback, I stay away from the city and the local guy said he's not going to bother me anymore so I'll just pay to play and not let it ruin my day.

20. TheActionKid

TheActionKid Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I heard under the Montana plate law you can avoid paying the taxes ;-)

21. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Whatever you guys do, don't ever park a car without a front plate at O'hare. My usual parking fell through/got overbooked and I parked my Cayenne there. They hit me for a no front plate violation. They literally had to check between all the thousands of cars looking for it. Frustrating. Paid it and said never again will I park there.

22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Chicago obviously has their violent crime resolved so that they can pay a police officer to troll parking garages and look for such lack of respect for the law.

Pfft!

tatry68 and absostone like this.
  23. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's really abusive, can't really blame the police, these mandates come from the top.

24. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Jakuzzi likes this.
  25. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Would like to have one of the news channels do a report on allocation of police recourses. What percentage of officers are on front license plate / parking ticket duty versus protecting the citizens from high crimes and shootings.