Lowering the 308 with QA1 shocks | FerrariChat

Lowering the 308 with QA1 shocks

Discussion in '308/328' started by DanishCarnut, Apr 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanishCarnut

DanishCarnut Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Heine Hansen
    Yeah, I know… There is ALOT of threads about this. I have also seen the good explanation of how to do it on Birdmans great website (http://www.birdman308.com/service/suspension/suspension.htm).
    But I still have a question, though.

I will order the QA1 shocks descriped on the Birdman site
    (2) DS402 QA-1 Shocks FRONT Shock
    (2) DS502 QA-1 Shocks REAR Shock
    (2) QA-1 10-300 Spring (FRONT SPRING) - The number means 10" long, 300 pounds
    (2) QA-1 12-250 Spring (REAR SPRING) - 12" long, 250 pounds

But.... The picture on his site shows the stock coilspring compared to the new QA1. And they seems like exactly the same lenght, even when the spring perch is at it's lowest ? I thought it would LOWER the car.....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The stock spring has massive preload, when removed you will see, the spring is much longer than when installed. Also, the QA1 shock is slightly shorter in the photo and that would lower the car as well. The spring rate on the stock spring may be 300 (I don't know), buy with the preload, it will act like a much stiffer spring. there are many variables in spring/shock/suspension set ups. Having raced a lot of different things for many years, it has become clear to me that I go with the setup from the guy that built the car and then just tweak it as needed. If Birdman did the research, go with it and then tweak it to your liking.

DanishCarnut likes this.
  3. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    I have this setup on my QV and I can tell you that it is most certainly lower than OEM. I had the car on track at Watkins Glen in September and I can report that the car handled beautifully. I did have the car professionally corner-weighted and aligned, and that made all the difference.

DanishCarnut likes this.
  4. DanishCarnut

DanishCarnut Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Heine Hansen
  5. Bobbytinvab

Bobbytinvab Karting

Jan 22, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Bob T
    DanishCarnut I'm not sure you'll want it that low. I've had to replace my "euro" spoiler thanks to the car being to low. I split the difference between your pix basically and that has kept me from scratching the spoiler/air dam. Just my opinion of course, but the split seemed about right to me. My avatar shows my ride height.

DanishCarnut likes this.
  6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Looks a bit too low, to me. It's passing that fine line of "nice gap" into "springs are worn out".

7. flavioleon

flavioleon Karting

Dec 21, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    i love the 308 as it is .............. there is nothing i would change about Fioravanti idea.

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you compare the Euro and the US together, there’s a big difference on the stance. The Euro looks so much better. The US definitely need some attention as the front end seems higher than the rear to meet the US DOT spec, which gave the big gap between the tire and the fender but if that looks good to you I guess it ok.

9. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    +1 This is the point. The US cars are higher than Fioravanti intended. I don't see any problem with lowering them 'a bit' for aesthetic reasons. Mine is dropped about an inch and the front and 1/2 at the back,.

Attached Files:

miketuason likes this.
  10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice! Now that’s the stance I could live with.:)

dflett likes this.
  11. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Are there part number differences between the Euro and USA suspensions for the 308s? I've never run across any warnings or notes when ordering suspension parts that I need to be mindful to get the right version. OTOH, there was a stamp on the A-arms from the factory that called out USA cars, perhaps the ride height was why that stamp exists.

dflett likes this.
  12. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Different part numbers. And yes, that’s is why the suspension assemblies were stamped differently between US/Euro (and GTB/GTS). The US models have different length springs with same spring rate . The specs are as follows:

Regards
    David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miketuason likes this.
  13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I went 350/300 on the GTS, but for a GTB, I'd go a little stiffer - 400/350 seems to be the sweet spot. I lowered mine too much and beat the crap out of it on our Australian roads. It's now a lot higher, but still lower than OEM - I hate the "dead cat space" above the wheel.

miketuason and DanishCarnut like this.
  14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  15. flavioleon

flavioleon Karting

Dec 21, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    this kind of adjustment does not radically change the stance .......... so i agree with you , on the US spec it is better lower the front. ( but i do not like at all the stance of the gtb in the 2nd photo by Danish Carnut ..... my cents )

miketuason likes this.
  16. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    I'll be dong this exact set up on my '84 GTS this fall/winter. As it sits right now, my car has the tallest gap I've ever seen on a 308 between the front tire and the fender. I'm looking to just "close the gap" a little while upgrading with the new components. The complete suspension will also be rebuilt so it should look and feel better at the same time.