Where did Dave Rocks go? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Where did Dave Rocks go?

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, May 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    As a general rule, I suggest reading the entire thread before commenting. As mentioned MANY times before, it's not just about Dave's spamming, but his lack of adherence to the rules and inappropriate response to the Mods/Admin action. Furthermore, I agree he was beneficial to the community, maybe more so than any other sponsor... but since he went out of his way to try and harm the community, he is no longer welcome here. This has all been discussed, so instead of stirring up more drama, again I ask you to read the thread before posting.

best,
    Jack

aaronrgonz likes this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I apologize, you are right no link top of Old Format, but still a link in the footer. I think having it multiple places is bad design. We could debate all day if better to place the single link top menu or a footer. Website standards you always find administrative stuff like Terms of Use and Contact Us on the footer, however we could have a more valid debate where the Rules should be.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So we don't have the eBay forum open anymore, but yes they will appear in the New Posts functionality as they are batch loaded. I'm going to turn it off right now especially since we don't even have a forum for it anymore. Won't be a problem anymore.

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The only reason I think Dave would argue the “rules” as adamantly as he did and a trivial one imho, is probably because he didn’t feel he was breaking the rules in the first place?

Where are the rules laid out? I couldn’t find them.

GTUnit likes this.
  5. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Your post is number #129 and rob most recently discussed the location of the rules in #127. Please read the thread before posting

And while I was unaware the rules were hard to find in the Old theme (something we can work to fix in the future), I can assure you that Dave knew the rules. He went out of his way to know the rules so much so that he would often report other users/sponsors.

drbob101 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I did read the entire thread before posting, perhaps you should too.

I will refrain from commenting on your accusation of me stirring up drama, because if you are unable to discern between reason and drama then it's quite clear you are unreasonable to debate with.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hé does have a point Rob- Ferrari owners tend to loooooove drama ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    1. this is not a debate
    2. it is not reasonable to claim Dave was banned only for spam, especially when the thread says otherwise
    3. it is dramatic to conflate the American justice system with an internet forum

showme1946 likes this.
  9. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    compared to Lamborghini, Corvette, import forums? I was just curious, I've more often heard we have a more mature behaved audience. We do probably have more Type A's than most. Also people that have already made it vs. pretending to make it, not sure which is worse on a forum. :)

Booker likes this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    So was Dave banned right after spamming and that led to him taking it all the way to the CEO and writing letters or was he banned at the very end after all the drama?

*i’ve read the entire thread several times. This part is not clear.

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I can understand if he reported other sponsors on “clear” rules, but I find it hard to believe he would point fingers at others and break those exact same rules. Only someone who felt he was granted some sort of favoritism (im sure he felt completely opposite) would go out on a limb and do something like that. I find it more plausible he would argue a rule that was less clear. A rule that was open to interpretation.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Thank you. Accepted.

taz355 and rob lay like this.
  14. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    No the reaction was not that quick

April 3 Dave posts spam, Moderator soft deletes posts (not permanent)
    April 4-5 Dave starts private discussion with moderator, discussing rules
    April 6 Rob steps in
    April 7 Dave is banned
    Within days (not sure specific dates) letter writing to sponsors and phone calls to our CEO

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well I am not a member of a lot of forums; I do see a lot of arguments about I know best; I got 10 ferraris and therefore my opinion is more valuable kind of things on here; but overall a lot of great resources !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob lay likes this.
  16. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Surprisingly it is both. Dave was granted some favoritism as all long term sponsors are. He used to fight becoming a sponsor but once he did so, he was a big proponent of the rules (reporting users). He was also arguing that the rules were unclear which is why rob stepped in. Dave pointed to other sponsor behavior as a defense for his own, but the other sponsor did not post in the same manner (all at once). While the rules may be unclear, the discussions between admin and mod are very clear.

17. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Honestly I never realized Rossa got more until reading it last night, I thought everyone was limited to 5 when it originally happened. And I’m just a guy who likes to tinker around and buy and sell stuff, right now I can’t do enough that could make enough profit to even cover the lowest fee, but I am hoping that changes in the near future.

bjwhite and rob lay like this.
  18. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    This is an example of my problem with the new rule.
    Buy new fabspeed exhaust for your car, list the old exhaust here in one thread "355 exhaust for sale"
    Mod deletes your post, say you need to list the headers, the cats, the y-pipe, the muffler all in individual threads. Boom there is 4 of your 5 post gone for the year.
    I am an enthusiast, not a seller. As an enthusiast, I love to swap parts with other enthusiast. There might be a lot of transactions, but there is no profit... in fact there is usually a loss lol

Like I said before, to curtail a few members who make a living selling on this site (not arguing that needed to be done), they chose to punish the vast majority of us simple enthusiast.

anyway, we're off topic, this thread can probably die now lol

GTUnit, scrappin35, GSF355 and 3 others like this.
  19. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Man, can you imagine what the world would be like if we still had Dave Helms selling Gold Connector Kits and those stupid silicone hoses without being a sponsor?
    That was a guy that just walked all over the rules but many people just loved.

For the record, how hard is all of this?
    If you want to play in the FChat sandbox....play nice and play by the rules.
    If you can't find the rules....ask. They exist and adults know that.
    If you find yourself arguing with the moderator, owner or CEO take a deep breath and step back for awhile.

Nobody here owes any of us ****.

showme1946, GSF355, mikeswplt and 7 others like this.
  20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, I knew what I was getting myself into from your first response, and promised myself I wouldn't waste my time since you seem to give an answer not related to what was originally posted.

Just for the record, so that anyone reading this doesn't believe what you wrote about me is true, I did not conflate this internet forum to the American justice system - I conflated the reaction and results of what happened to Dave to the American and Canadian justice system (yes, you left the Canadian part out). It may be difficult for you to understand that there is major difference between that and what you accuse me of. Ironically, it is you who seems to be dramatizing everything I post.

But, as Watson said, it's your sandbox, your rules. You can continue to have the attitude of "if you don't like it, I will take leave now and take my ball home so none of you can play anymore", it looks real good.

21. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Dang. I step away for a few months and this happens?! :)

showme1946, johnk... and Pangea like this.
  22. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'll say it's not so surprising to those that saw it the first time around - I tried to talk to him back when it first happened and was actually surprised he came to an agreement with Rob to become a sponsor - and then was even more surprised it lasted this long. I like Dave and he has a lot of knowledge, but for some reason he would chafe at authority - like really rail against it. Not sure why, but I'm not surprised it happened again, more that it took years to happen. Hope he comes to his senses again like last time, I think overall he's a big benefit to the community but I really can't figure out why he occasionally self destructs so extremely, and both times over minor stuff.

I will say this is overall one of the best moderated boards I've seen on the net - precisely because the mods are very transparent and don't shy away from their actions. Even if on occasion I don't agree, I always understand why, and it's honestly extremely easy to not fall foul of the rules.

GTO Joe, Jaguar36, INRange and 3 others like this.
  23. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Sorry I'm an optimist that only see's the good in people.

I know Dave well, he is on of the few people I ever met that puts others that need help in front of his needs. I never seen the man not go out of his way to help someone even if it meant his work has to wait.

If I had to repopulate the world he would be high on my list. Gene Palma also if you don't know who he is

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GTUnit, taz355 and 97 Spider like this.
  24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX